Forgotten scottish bands

tongue_tied_danny

Botany 5 anyone?

I liked them very much - their main man, Gordon Kerr was from Stirling, but they were based in Edinburgh - I met him once, and thought he was a very nice chap.

They got their deal with Virgin on the back of their popularity in clubs like Pure, playing up front dance music, but he wanted to make chill-out albums, which is pretty much what their first and only album was.

When they signed to Virgin, the other half of the partnership left, and was given half their advance as a settlement - this probably didn't do them any favours.

Gordon was a big fan of Talk Talk, which is no bad thing.

Here's a link to some Botany 5 tracks on Myspace: https://myspace.com/botanyofficial/music/songs

Top track is 'The Only One In Your Love', imo.

Edited by paranoid android

Arab Strap are definitely one of my favourite bands of all time. Toss up between "Morning at the Hug and Pint" and "The Last Romance" as my favourite Strap album.

Edited by mrcat1990

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKeqxDgBM0

Fruits of Passion.

ETA, can't seem to do videos or links from a tablet.

I remember them - Glasgow band with a lassie singer - the single was called 'Everything I Ever Wanted' or something - I remember the video as well. A mate of mine had their album, and liked it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May be showing my age with this but who were the band from Stirling that had Polmaise Colliery on the cover of their single and a song that went on and on about stuff like "come home from the factory"?

Could it be Those French Girls? They were definitely from Stirling.

Don't think so, but could be wrong. It's a song that got some airplay on Brian Ford's Streetsounds on Radio Clyde in the late 70s or very early 80s. Almost bought a copy of the single at Bruce's on the Cow Wynd in Falkirk, but eventually decided to buy something else. This will be obscure because they never made it big and the number of people who were even aware of the single at the time would have been limited to those were into punk and new wave in and around Glasgow and Stirling.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Don't think so, but could be wrong. It's a song that got some airplay on Brian Ford's Streetsounds on Radio Clyde in the late 70s or very early 80s. Almost bought a copy of the single at Bruce's on the Cow Wynd in Falkirk, but eventually decided to buy something else. This will be obscure because they never made it big and the number of people who were even aware of the single at the time would have been limited to those were into punk and new wave in and around Glasgow and Stirling.

The Fakes, I had it. Flogged it along with all the rest.

http://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/FAKES.htm

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

• 1 year later...