Forgotten scottish bands

tongue_tied_danny

One of my favourite bands to see live, saw them in NYC back in 2008 and numerous times across Europe, my favourite was seeing them perform the Atomic soundtrack at Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ, a friend was working for them so we got to hang out with them afterwards it was a lovely evening just sitting by the water, I miss going to gigs.

I'm a bit of a fan, it would be fair to say.

First saw them at Jaffa Cake in August 1997, and I must have been to getting on for 100 shows since in all sorts of places. (Never NYC!)

In my all-time list of all the gigs I've been to, I'd put the Saturday night at Barrowlands for their 20th anniversary shows in 2015 as my favourite, closely followed by either of the two nights at Leith Theatre in 2018.

I'm booked in for Hydro and Manchester next year, and had a ticket for Strathpeffer this year so should be getting a chance to repurchase for new date.

My only disappointment is I never got to see them play Zidane live. Their shows came in 2013 when my wee boy was days old and I just couldn't sneak away due to some sense of parental responsibility. Damn him, he won't be allowed to forget that.

4 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm a bit of a fan, it would be fair to say.

First saw them at Jaffa Cake in August 1997, and I must have been to getting on for 100 shows since in all sorts of places. (Never NYC!)

In my all-time list of all the gigs I've been to, I'd put the Saturday night at Barrowlands for their 20th anniversary shows in 2015 as my favourite, closely followed by either of the two nights at Leith Theatre in 2018.

I'm booked in for Hydro and Manchester next year, and had a ticket for Strathpeffer this year so should be getting a chance to repurchase for new date.

My only disappointment is I never got to see them play Zidane live. Their shows came in 2013 when my wee boy was days old and I just couldn't sneak away due to some sense of parental responsibility. Damn him, he won't be allowed to forget that.

Ha that's very inconsiderate of him. 

For a band with very few lyrics and quite long tunes they certainly keep you engaged when playing live. 

The NYC gig was very special, first time in the city, almost didn't get in because we didn't have our ID's but they loved our accent and let us in, f**k Buttons were the support and i reckon they were even louder than Mogwai, great gig then you step outside and boom NYC it all seemed to fit perfectly. 

Simpler times man. 

Ha that's very inconsiderate of him. 
For a band with very few lyrics and quite long tunes they certainly keep you engaged when playing live. 
The NYC gig was very special, first time in the city, almost didn't get in because we didn't have our ID's but they loved our accent and let us in, f**k Buttons were the support and i reckon they were even louder than Mogwai, great gig then you step outside and boom NYC it all seemed to fit perfectly. 
Simpler times man. 
I love gigs in NY. I went to see Doves in 2005. Sold out show in Bowery Ballroom, to get in I had to bribe a bouncer who took $20 off me and snuck me in via a fire escape. Brilliant night out!

Mogwai supported by FBs and I think Errors was extremely loud, violently loud. That may have been in the Usher Hall.

I also saw Mogwai play Aberdeen His Majesty's Theatre with Blanck Mass in 2018, and there were bits of the ceiling cracking off and a couple of lights broken. It was almost painfully loud. But magic!

That was some day out. True North Festival. RM Hubbert at lunchtime, Mogwai's show and then Mull Historical Society late show at Lemon Tree. On the beers all day.

The next day was torment, a long journey home clutching the tea towel I bought from the merch stall for support and to mop my fevered brow. Don't regret a single thing.

1 minute ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I love gigs in NY. I went to see Doves in 2005. Sold out show in Bowery Ballroom, to get in I had to bribe a bouncer who took $20 off me and snuck me in via a fire escape. Brilliant night out!

Mogwai supported by FBs and I think Errors was extremely loud, violently loud. That may have been in the Usher Hall.

I also saw Mogwai play Aberdeen His Majesty's Theatre with Blanck Mass in 2018, and there were bits of the ceiling cracking off and a couple of lights broken. It was almost painfully loud. But magic!

That was some day out. True North Festival. RM Hubbert at lunchtime, Mogwai's show and then Mull Historical Society late show at Lemon Tree. On the beers all day.

The next day was torment, a long journey home clutching the tea towel I bought from the merch stall for support and to mop my fevered brow. Don't regret a single thing.

I could feel f**k Buttons vibrating through my body for the duration of our trip. 

Saw Hubby support Mogwai at Paradiso, damn that boy can play. 

On 23/06/2020 at 18:36, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Saw Mogwai at Cas Rock Planet Pop gig supported by Delgados and Urusei Yatsura in 1996. Jaw droppingly good. Very, very loud in such a wee place. Can only think of MBV that were louder.

10 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Back to the nearlies and never weres. Here's a band that had a couple of really good singles. How many members of Belle & Sebastian can you fit in one video?

I was in the scouts with chris from b&s. 

Two rediscoveries from a trawl round my CDs:

Superstar: Palm Tree

This is a lovely album. Released in 1998, with a single peaking at the giddy heights of #49. Don't think I ever had the privilege of seeing this band live.

Top tune:

Dawn of the replicants: wrong town, wrong planet, three hours late

Another release from 1998. A band from Galashiels, who sold incredibly well in Avalanche Records West Nicolson Street, if nowhere else. Paul Vickers, their lead singer turned up quite unexpectedly supporting Withered Hand in North Berwick a couple of years back, in my only gig (to date!) held in the remains of an outdoor swimming pool.

Top tune: https://open.spotify.com/track/43V30wyNJuCtIdju5OUGRh?si=kR8W9VgtTJOqReGRUbScjAdownload.jpegR-1888438-1465482392-1881.jpeg.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Butcher Boy were/are? Ayrshire's answer to Felt. Definitely an early Belle & Sebastian feel to them as well. Their first record "Profit in your Poetry" is a lost gem for fans of these two bands and also the likes of The Smiths, Tindersticks or Sarah Records/C86. The second record "React or Die" was pretty good too.

Just spent an enjoyable morning going down memory lane. But the more I listened the more obvious it became that Scottish music hasn't changed. Nearly all of these bands could have been from any year from the last 40 in both look and sound.

Right going to show my age now and it's unlikely you're going to remember this band unless you're in your mid to late fifties.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Cado Belle featuring Maggie Reilly (pre Mike Oldfield days) on vocals.

Sadly only recorded one album together but well worth a listen

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/05/2020 at 18:18, tongue_tied_danny said:

Driveblind were from Aberdeen. They went to America, were signed by Geffen and were tipped for success before they disappeared without a trace*

*because they were shite.

My mates band played a gig with Driveblind at King Tuts back in the day. 

Possibly the best worst heckle at a gig I’ve ever heard was a blind man yelling “Yeez are driving me blind!” at them.

58 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Likewise but with Biffy Clyro.

Biffy Clyro have always struck me as being a band that scottish people love just for being scottish because it can't be for their musical output 

1 minute ago, Doctor said:

Biffy Clyro have always struck me as being a band that scottish people love just for being scottish because it can't be for their musical output 

100%.

The Scottish cringe element always makes me wince. Usually due to half of me not liking the music, and the other half of me quickly getting sick of the ‘Here we! Here we!’ TITP/TRNSMT brigade fawning over some mediocre dross just cos Scotland. 

Two particular phrases that actually made my blood boil where Biffy are concerned was when loads of hipsters used to always respond to Biffy critics with the same wanky “They’re the hardest working band for sure!” patter. 
“So proud of Biffy!” was another one that made me shiver. 

I have no idea when I first heard their music but I vividly remember thinking it was great to hear there was a Scottish guitar based band who were breaking through and then every one of their songs is just loud, overly aggressive crap with a horrendous weegie accent on top (yes i know they are from kilmarnock)