Forgotten scottish bands

tongue_tied_danny

52 minutes ago, Doctor said:

I have no idea when I first heard their music but I vividly remember thinking it was great to hear there was a Scottish guitar based band who were breaking through and then every one of their songs is just loud, overly aggressive crap with a horrendous weegie accent on top (yes i know they are from kilmarnock) 

Seen Biffy quite a few times before they were signed (they gigged everywhere and anywhere) and actually quite liked them. Quite heavy and like nothing I’d heard before. Then they get signed and start churning out pop disguised as alt.

28 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

If aw you think Biffys bad, wouldn't like to hear your views on Twin Atlantic!! emoji4.png

Fucking awful.

I have very vague memories of a band called Marcha Fresca. 

The above video is pretty much all I can find on them. It sounds like TTF but I always thought that they were a rock band. I seem to recall The Daily Record bigged them up for a while but they sunk without a trace.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

21 hours ago, Doctor said:

Biffy Clyro are just a scottish version of the arctic monkeys except they replaced clever melodies and clever lyrics with power chords and screaming

That's a pretty horrendous take to be fair. I get Biffy aren't everyone's cup of tea but every album they have released has been pretty good. Saying they're just power chords and screaming makes me think you've heard about 3 songs. 

They used to be awful live but really screwed the nut around 2010 and became solid. 

As for Arctic Monkeys I'm not going to pretend I know a great deal about them but have been subjected to endless hours of listening to them working in a pub. What I heard of them was a couple of decent hooks and not much else. Just sounded like any other band that came out around that time and people flocked to them like flies around shite because they were the biggest shite available. 

However, I chucked the pub around 2016 so have managed to avoid them ever since. They may have improved for all I know but their fan base seemed to be full of absolute bangers. Much like Mr. Cinnamon. 

Now he's rank rotten. 

On 09/08/2020 at 12:02, Oscar Wilder said:

If aw you think Biffys bad, wouldn't like to hear your views on Twin Atlantic!! emoji4.png

I was reminded the other week that their managed went on a mad tirade against me on Bebo or Facebook back in the day because I dared not love her boys.

If they punted their singer (who absolutely does not speak in that ridiculous accent he sings in) they could be onto something. I always thought the guitarist was doing some decent stuff that was absolutely ruined by that idiot at the front.

23 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Quite heavy and like nothing I’d heard before. Then they get signed and start churning out pop disguised as alt.

Fucking awful.

Their early stuff was fantastic. I'm still into the poppier stuff they do and fair play to them because they could easily have stayed the same and fizzled out but what I really like is how they can have a straight up guitar pop tune and still keep that weirdness from the early days. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I taped a session of theirs off mark radcliffe's old evening show and never heard of them again. Quite good if i remember right. 

My ex introduced them to me. Rifferama is one of those albums I always go back to. Monica Queen’s voice is incredible.