Forgotten scottish bands

tongue_tied_danny

These guys seemed to be absolutely massive with people my age in Dundee when I was in doing standard grades at school in around 2008.

Just listened to them for the first time in ages and they still sound brilliant to me. Anyone know what happened with them.

Ah yes, The Gyres.

I remember them from my Glasgow student days. More specifically their homemade "the gyres must die" graffiti spraypainted everywhere about the west end. They claimed someone wanted to kill them because they were so good when in reality they did it themselves and were shite.

Goodbye Mr McKenzie were the first band I ever saw at the network (aka red hot pepper club, now lava ignite) at tollcross in Edinburgh. They were great but never made it.

Barky Barky were another band from around that time - a bit like a Cumbernauld carter usm. Two great songs with "the law is wrong" and "Valentina".

Come to think of it The Law were a Dundee band who were mates of The View who just disappeared.

Ah yes, The Gyres.

I remember them from my Glasgow student days. More specifically their homemade "the gyres must die" graffiti spraypainted everywhere about the west end. They claimed someone wanted to kill them because they were so good when in reality they did it themselves and were shite.

Goodbye Mr McKenzie were the first band I ever saw at the network (aka red hot pepper club, now lava ignite) at tollcross in Edinburgh. They were great but never made it.

Barky Barky were another band from around that time - a bit like a Cumbernauld carter usm. Two great songs with "the law is wrong" and "Valentina".

Come to think of it The Law were a Dundee band who were mates of The View who just disappeared.

The Gyres appeared on an STV documentary, possibly presented by Billy Sloan. I went to see them play a promotional gig on a weekday afternoon in HMV in Aberdeen, they were alright, but no different from any other mid '90s Britpop/indie outfit.

I think The Law are kaput. The guy is involved with Anderson, McGinty, Webster, Ward and Fisher, who'll be in the forgotten Scottish bands category in a few years.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Not heard much from this band:

That was the bands first top 40 hit which entered the chart at no. 35 in July 1989.

Their biggest hit was in the summer of 1994 a cover of the Cameo song 'Word Up'

Live vocal performance of that on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAyXu6sWdOY&hd=1

That reminds me...

Barky Barky were another band from around that time - a bit like a Cumbernauld carter usm. Two great songs with "the law is wrong" and "Valentina"..

The McKenzies had a few hits, and made a few albums, did they not?

Barky Barky were mental, very funny, and very very good.