The role of the media in #indyref

Todders

I agree the media is less relevant, but plenty people are worked up by it. Papers are losing money so they cannot afford to ignore their audience as well as all their other challenges in staying afloat.

I don't agree the BBC is biased in any way, shape or form like the press are. There may be some element of slant towards the status quo but not to anything like the extent its being made out to be.

BBC tends to be biased in favour of the current government inside Westminster. We've already seen this with Libya and Syria in terms of them trying to drum up support for future intervention. However, it's quite clear they're following unionist agendas by promoting them as headline news, or worse like we saw a few weeks ago with the supermarkets. Make them entirely misleading. While anything pro-independent tends to be glossed over or shoved into a business section. I expect papers to be biased, but for an organisation that has as much influence and trust as the BBC. It's very concerning indeed.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also particularly liked H_B's post which skimmed over this entirely and agreed with the post on account of it being anti-Yes. I do believe that's what is known as scrambling for relevance. But hey ho I'm away to read Crawford and Boyle's legal analysis just for lols. What a knob he is.

I doubt you will understand it.

You seem a bit thick. Not a criticism as such - I'm sure you are trying your best. And that's all you can do.

I see the Sun is as even-handed as ever this morning - New Year messages from 1 pro-indy politician and 4 Unionists. Alistair Darling's face is all over the BBC website, unsubstatiated pish about charities "breaking up" after Indy in the Scotsman. Anybody who thinks the media is being even-handed is kidding themselves.

I see the Sun is as even-handed as ever this morning - New Year messages from 1 pro-indy politician and 4 Unionists. Alistair Darling's face is all over the BBC website, unsubstatiated pish about charities "breaking up" after Indy in the Scotsman. Anybody who thinks the media is being even-handed is kidding themselves.

Nicola Sturgeon's interview and comments were on the beeb yesterday. If you want to find bias you will by finding only what you look for.

Which of Brian's questions did you think fell into the 'difficult' category?

Difficult as in awkward. How about pretending that the UK's politician's had rejected a currency union and asking what the solution to that is, when the UK's politician's have done no such thing? Think he'll come up with a wizard wheeze like that for Darling?

I doubt you will understand it.

You seem a bit thick. Not a criticism as such - I'm sure you are trying your best. And that's all you can do.

I remember your types when I was at Glasgow University.

Did you or did you not agree with a post that said the media is not biased?

Difficult as in awkward. How about pretending that the UK's politician's had rejected a currency union and asking what the solution to that is, when the UK's politician's have done no such thing? Think he'll come up with a wizard wheeze like that for Darling?

I don't accept your premise re UK politicians most of the unionist ones have rejected or criticised the 'poundland' idea but I don't think that question would have had Nicola struggling for an answer or be in anything like the difficult or awkward category. That question is awkward only if you accept the potential major limitations a shared currency would place on Scotland - Nicola Sturgeon doesn't.

If you want to find bias then you will.

I remember your types when I was at Glasgow University.

Did you or did you not agree with a post that said the media is not biased?

I don't remember your type - I didn't have much to do with Travel and Tourism type courses.

Which post are you referrring to specifically?

I don't accept your premise re UK politicians most of the unionist ones have rejected or criticised the 'poundland' idea but I don't think that question would have had Nicola struggling for an answer or be in anything like the difficult or awkward category.  That question is awkward only if you accept the potential major limitations a shared currency would place on Scotland - Nicola Sturgeon doesn't.

If you want to find bias then you will.

Fine, you'll be able to spot all the questions based on a false premise that he comes up with for Darling then.

The role of the media is simple, to report both sides without favour and I think on the whole they do that, I know that this thread is full of Yes voters, who will disagree with this, sounds like they are preparing their excuses already for their impending defeat, just saying

They've been preparing the media excuse for some time now.

Something will be required when democracy fails them. Rather than actually accepting it's because the people here don't want Independence, it's easier to foist the blame elsewhere.

Do you believe there is any bias in the media towards a No vote?

P.S There's f**k all wrong with my Travel and Tourism degree. How else was I meant to get my job as a trolley dolly?

I've already answered that. I don't read newspapers and I don't watch TV news. I'm not best placed to comment therefore on what they contain.

It would be like asking me if the "50 Shades of Grey" series was a good read or not. Having not read them, I couldn't really comment.

I have seen posted on these threads newspaper articles both pro-Yes and pro-No.

I've already answered that. I don't read newspapers and I don't watch TV news. I'm not best placed to comment therefore on what they contain.

It would be like asking me if the "50 Shades of Grey" series was a good read or not. Having not read them, I couldn't really comment.

I have seen posted on these threads newspaper articles both pro-Yes and pro-No.

Arsene Wenger-like post imo.

P.S There's f**k all wrong with my Travel and Tourism degree. How else was I meant to get my job as a trolley dolly?

Most of the media tend to go with the prevaling mood of its readership/watcher/listener.

Certainly, the commercial ones will. Independence is a minority view in Scotland, over the entire UK Scottish independence true believers are a vanishly small fraction of the population and don't really matter commercially.

Frankly, the whine from the nat clown collective is fairly similar to the noises that were made during the time it was clear communism was fucked.

If the nationalists reckon they can have a commercially viable media competitor up here to spout their views then they should enter into competition and see how that works out for them. Maybe as they rake through the rubble of their defeat in September maybe a commercially run effort will appear (and swiftly go bankrupt) and try to compete.

Until then maybe they should just get on with lambasting people in the street and pestering people on the doorsteps like slightly unkempt, barely literate, monosyllabic Jehovahs Witnesses.

Most of the media tend to go with the prevaling mood of its readership/watcher/listener.

Certainly, the commercial ones will. Independence is a minority view in Scotland, over the entire UK Scottish independence true believers are a vanishly small fraction of the population and don't really matter commercially.

Frankly, the whine from the nat clown collective is fairly similar to the noises that were made during the time it was clear communism was fucked.

If the nationalists reckon they can have a commercially viable media competitor up here to spout their views then they should enter into competition and see how that works out for them. Maybe as they rake through the rubble of their defeat in September maybe a commercially run effort will appear (and swiftly go bankrupt) and try to compete.

Until then maybe they should just get on with lambasting people in the street and pestering people on the doorsteps like slightly unkempt, barely literate, monosyllabic Jehovahs Witnesses.

What about BBC Scotland?

Independence is the biggest political issue facing the country currently and the coverage has a subtle but clear skew towards a No vote. Now the number of folk that are definitely Yes is not a million miles off those that are a definite No (although No obviously has a solid lead at the moment). This referendum will still come down to those undecided and the national, publicly-funded broadcaster has a duty to present the arguments in a fair and balanced manner. I'm not sure the balance is there. You may well disagree - but reading your post I reckon you don't.

Surely you think the BBC is corrupt in a buckled lefty sense anyway - a la Daily Mail readers.

Nobody on here is complaining about bias in any UK-wide coverage as far as I can see - so your argument about the fraction of independence supporters doesn't matter.

There's also no point in the Yes campaign trying to start a commercial media company/newspaper this year. They have less funds and so will target them in a more sensible manner. Its all social media/internet for the Yes campaign. Grassroots shit.

Scotland on Sunday this week has Salmond and Harvie today alongside a piece critical of BT by columnist McColm (whose work challenges both sides) and Andrew Wilson who is mega pro Yes every week.

What about BBC Scotland?

Independence is the biggest political issue facing the country currently and the coverage has a subtle but clear skew towards a No vote. Now the number of folk that are definitely Yes is not a million miles off those that are a definite No (although No obviously has a solid lead at the moment). This referendum will still come down to those undecided and the national, publicly-funded broadcaster has a duty to present the arguments in a fair and balanced manner. I'm not sure the balance is there. You may well disagree - but reading your post I reckon you don't.

Surely you think the BBC is corrupt in a buckled lefty sense anyway - a la Daily Mail readers.

Nobody on here is complaining about bias in any UK-wide coverage as far as I can see - so your argument about the fraction of independence supporters doesn't matter.

There's also no point in the Yes campaign trying to start a commercial media company/newspaper this year. They have less funds and so will target them in a more sensible manner. Its all social media/internet for the Yes campaign. Grassroots shit.

What about it?

No it isn't.

It wasnt an argument. It was a fact. Nationalists number in the hundreds of thousands here. They are a small minority in Scotland itself never mind anywhere else. Why pander to such a minority. Should I get all bent out of shape because not many in the media in Scotland support anything other than leftist ideals? Its just the way it goes.

Archived