The role of the media in #indyref

Todders

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit I am disappointed nobody has publicly pointed out that the BBC clearly have a vested interest. Stay in the Union, nothing changes. Leave the Union and the BBC lose some of it's Scottish assets. There is nowhere else in the world that wouldn't spot the obvious conflict of interest. Yet the politicians on the Yes side seem reluctant to mention it. It's not as if they are going to start running negative stories if they do is it? That is what is happening anyway.

I've said many a time I don't mind the BBC being biased, I just want them to admit it. Their attempts to pretend that they are not is the most disappointing thing.

I have to admit I am disappointed nobody has publicly pointed out that the BBC clearly have a vested interest. Stay in the Union, nothing changes. Leave the Union and the BBC lose some of it's Scottish assets. There is nowhere else in the world that wouldn't spot the obvious conflict of interest. Yet the politicians on the Yes side seem reluctant to mention it. It's not as if they are going to start running negative stories if they do is it? That is what is happening anyway.

I've said many a time I don't mind the BBC being biased, I just want them to admit it. Their attempts to pretend that they are not is the most disappointing thing.

I have made the point frequently on the BBC comments section. Appears that it breaks the house rules to suggest that the BBC isn't impartial. :rolleyes:

Watched the guy from LSE on Newsnight, he basically said the furore over currency and banks pissing off was all just nonsense, then the other guy ended up agreeing with him,that'll be two we won't see again.

These b*****ds at Westminster think we're just going to rollover and let them shaft us, are we?

One week to go before voting.

I have to admit the fear has set in with me, the media barrage is working, people are turning to No for some truly stupid reasons.

If folk had a million pound pensions needing protected or whatever then fine, I get it. Its the folk struggling to get by on low wages or living in social housing that I don't understand voting No, what I see around me in England is Scotlands future and it isnt pretty.

One guy I work with has a daughter who is (tidy) smart enough to get top A-Levels but is choosing to join the army to play in a band, for 19k a year, instead of going to University due to the fear of debt and tuition fees, a factor that wouldnt be anywehre near as much of an issue in Scotland if at all. If Scotland votes No, its only a matter of time before that becomes a question Scottish students will have to ask themselves, rather than simply getting the opportunity at higher education on merit alone.

Another poor lass I took on last year has a barely 2 year old daughter, who last Christmas swallowed three full packets of mint Rennies heartburn tablets thinking they were sweeties and almost died. The mother had to get a taxi 32 miles to the nearest hospital in Truro for emergency treatment, the taxi took almost 30 minutes to show up while the kid was choking away on her own vomit. We had a perfectly capable facility a couple of miles away that was shut down due to budget restraints in 2012, given theres alot of old people around here the decision was mental, nevemrind when folk need emergency treatment.

I'm not saying there hasnt been cutbacks in Scotland or there isnt a more efficient way of doing things but if you want to 'streamline' the health service to get the most bang for your buck at any cost, then its scenarios like the above will become common.

One week to go before voting.

I have to admit the fear has set in with me, the media barrage is working, people are turning to No for some truly stupid reasons.

If folk had a million pound pensions needing protected or whatever then fine, I get it. Its the folk struggling to get by on low wages or living in social housing that I don't understand voting No, what I see around me in England is Scotlands future and it isnt pretty.

One guy I work with has a daughter who is (tidy) smart enough to get top A-Levels but is choosing to join the army to play in a band, for 19k a year, instead of going to University due to the fear of debt and tuition fees, a factor that wouldnt be anywehre near as much of an issue in Scotland if at all. If Scotland votes No, its only a matter of time before that becomes a question Scottish students will have to ask themselves, rather than simply getting the opportunity at higher education on merit alone.

Another poor lass I took on last year has a barely 2 year old daughter, who last Christmas swallowed three full packets of mint Rennies heartburn tablets thinking they were sweeties and almost died. The mother had to get a taxi 32 miles to the nearest hospital in Truro for emergency treatment, the taxi took almost 30 minutes to show up while the kid was choking away on her own vomit. We had a perfectly capable facility a couple of miles away that was shut down due to budget restraints in 2012, given theres alot of old people around here the decision was mental, nevemrind when folk need emergency treatment.

I'm not saying there hasnt been cutbacks in Scotland or there isnt a more efficient way of doing things but if you want to 'streamline' the health service to get the most bang for your buck at any cost, then its scenarios like the above will become common.

I've got to agree tbh, I am concerned.

The media fear campaign has ramped up to it's highest level and it's going to stay there until 10pm on Thursday night.

It might just be enough for No.

Time will tell.

Bbc in balanced article shock

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29151798

Meanwhile Scotland's largest fund manager's boss said an independent Scotland would be a huge success.

Martin Gilbert, chief executive of Aberdeen Asset Management said: "I think an independent Scotland would be a big success, but it is a secret ballot and I will abide by that.

"Most sensible people now accept that Scotland would be prosperous with either outcome in the current constitutional debate."

Companies are increasingly setting out their post-referendum contingency plans.

Lloyds Banking Group said it could shift some of its business from Scotland.

However, Lloyds said it was just a legal procedure and "there would be no immediate changes or issues".

The statement from Lloyds said: "Lloyds Banking Group has seen an increased level of enquiries from our customers, colleagues and other stakeholders about our plans post the Scottish referendum.

Continue reading the main story“Start Quote

When a company like Standard Life says that it would have to relocate its business to London that is not some sort of decision that they make lightly.”

Danny AlexanderTreasury Chief Secretary

"While the scale of potential change is currently unclear, we have contingency plans in place which include the establishment of new legal entities in England. This is a legal procedure and there would be no immediate changes or issues which could affect our business or our customers.

"There will be a period between the referendum and the implementation of separation, should a Yes vote be successful, that we believe is sufficient to take any necessary action."

Lloyds, in which the UK government has a 25% stake, owns Bank of Scotland and Halifax.

Jobs

The move of what Lloyds describes as "legal entities" indicates that the banking group is not suggesting there will be a mass relocation of its 16,000 Scottish-based staff. The move would simply mean that the bank would remain protected and regulated by the Bank of England.

RBS employs 11,500 people in Scotland.

Angus Grossart, chairman of merchant bank Noble Grossart, said that people should "not panic" following the decisions made by the two banks. He told the Financial Times that the impact of a Yes vote was "severely overstated".

BBC economics editor Robert Peston said that that if RBS, 81%-owned by the UK government, moved its head office and registered office to London it "would involve some jobs moving south".

However, he said the situation with Lloyds was different: "Lloyds would move its legal home to its head office, which is already in London - and that's unlikely to have much impact on Scottish employment."

A Treasury source told the BBC that it had discussed the plans with RBS.

'Overreaction'

On Wednesday, insurance giant and pensions giant Standard Life said it was "planning for new regulated companies in England to which we could transfer parts of our business if there was a need to do so".

Treasury Chief Secretary Danny Alexander told BBC2's Newsnight: "When a company like Standard Life says that it would, unfortunately, sadly, have to relocate its business to London that is not some sort of decision that they make lightly.

"They make it on the basis that they regard that as the best way to protect their customers under the new circumstances.

"When we hear Lloyds and other banks making clear that they would have to do the same, again that is not something that they say lightly. They say it having thought about it, having talked to their board and to the senior people in those companies."

First Minister Alex Salmond has described reports of banks moving out of Scotland as "nonsense" and "scaremongering".

And Mr Grossart, one of the most senior figures in Scotland's financial establishment, said people were "overreacting" to the threats of exodus of firms.

"I think it is getting out of hand," he told the Financial Times. "To hear some of the comments you almost expect people to be predicting a plague of locusts or mice next."

The media fear campaign has ramped up to it's highest level and it's going to stay there until 10pm on Thursday night.

Time will tell.

Don't be concerned. That's what they want. To instill doubt and make us wobble.

We have more people knocking doors, more people engaging in social media and more momentum, whatever the media say.

We need to stay positive.

2 people I spoke to who were voting yes have changed to No based on the RBS and oil announcements yesterday.

Unfortunately the biased reporting is working

Well work hard on getting them back onside. The facts should be enough.

If not, work on other as hard as you can.

We need to stay positive!!!

Time will tell.

We had to wait until Newsnight to hear any questions being asked of the three toffs visit.

Anyone that thinks bbc is biased should sign here

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/independent-enquiry-into-bbc-bias-regards-scottish-independence-referendum?source=twitter-share-button

it's almost at the 20,000 signatures needed for the Ofcom enquiry

Cheers for that. Signed

Because of the medias reaction I fully expect a no vote again, il still vote yes, but the damage may have been done yesterday.

Also complained about the article on the daily mail website yesterday, nothing will be done there, but absolute disgusting they decided to print it

If all the banks are finding London as their new haven, why can't the they find a new haven in London for Trident?

If Labour think the SNP independence plans are all about offering cheap taxes to big corporations, why are the big corporations so against the concept of an Independent Scotland?

RBS confirm no plans to move jobs post Yes vote:

http://www.rbs.com/news/2014/09/statement-in-response-to-press-speculation-on-re-domicile.html#vMkU06YgcrUmXGC0.99

Only shifting the domicile of the HQ.

This. Yesterday wasn't just about media bias. It's an unpalatable truth that when the leaders of the 3 main Westminster parties came up to Scotland they were going to grab the headlines. The media is obliged to report what they're saying.

What happened yesterday was an orchestrated attempt to frighten the shite out of Scotland AND starve the Yes campaign of the oxygen that has been fueling the momentum shift. There isn't much anyone from Yes can do about a single day like that because they simply weren't listened to.

What has to happen now is that Yes needs to completely debunk the RBS and BP stuff to show it for what it was - a response to a call to arms by those in Westminster with whom they have close links.

And Yes needs to keep doing what it has done - show the absolute paucity of the No argument. If folk think that Alex Salmond can't do that then I think they need to look at the 2 weeks prioir to yesterday. If he can put some of the shite that emerged yesterday to bed then it can be done.

I nearly launched my cup of tea at the radio listening to phone-in on 5Live.

Some daftie was on the phone saying she was 'petrified, absolutely petrified'.

When asked what she was petrified about, she hesitated, and then started going on about the details / technicalities about where her company would pay corporation tax -- turmoil, indeed, and something to be petrified about(?).

Then, 'My educated friends are voting No, and my uneducated friends are voting Yes.' My guess is she doesn't have any friends, daftie.

Archived