The role of the media in #indyref

Todders

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been working in a shop in Aberdeen for the duration of the summer. In terms of how the media is influencing the debate, the papers which sell the most copies in my place of work are the Daily Mail, the Daily Express and the Sun. Every other paper sells very few in comparison apart from the Evening Express (which doesn't seem to focus on the referendum much). Tends to be only middle-aged/old people who buy papers though and their reliance on traditional forms of media maybe explain why the elderly demographic is much more likely to be voting no than younger people. The Sun coming out in favour of independence may sway some of these people.

Listening to radio Scotland today, you would be forgiven for forgetting that there is a referendum 10 days away.

Don't think they want to talk about the poll.

What was morning call on about this morning? If this Guardian thing is correct about more duff polls Tuesday will be.......

"Sweetie shops. You don't see many of them about these days. Have you got a nice sweetie shop where you live? Are you partial to a soor ploom or some good old fashioned Hawick balls. Ring us now on 0500 92 95 00 and give us all your sweet reminiscences"

Pish.

I dont want Rupert Murdoch, or any of his organisations to be linked to me, in any way.

And i think you ought to feel the same.

Hillsborough, Millie Dowler, and all the rest of his organisations making a stupid and false conclusion.

But he is and has been since the campaign has begun up to now. They have supported no. (just in case you don't get it, the same way that they have been linked to you as a no supporter)

The North Brit has banned the words "Wings over Scotland" from its comment sections.

Edit: interesting disclaimer in that piece:

Full disclosure: I’m an editor at the Mirror, and we are firmly “No”. Personally, I’m slightly pro-Yes, but I don’t have a vote, and all I can do is wish that Scotland has a happy and prosperous future whatever her people decide this month.

Has the Daily Mirror / Trinity Group really officially stated that it is "firmly no"? Or is it left to readers to realise that for themselves?

The North Brit has banned the words "Wings over Scotland" from its comment sections.

Edit: interesting disclaimer in that piece:

Has the Daily Mirror / Trinity Group really officially stated that it is "firmly no"? Or is it left to readers to realise that for themselves?

:lol:

Brilliant, when you have to ban the phrase "wings over Scotland" you know they are desperate!

Charlie Brooker's take on it -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/08/scottish-independence-david-cameron-no-campaign-windows-8

David Cameron can’t help the No campaign – he’s less popular in Scotland than Windows 8
The first rule of panic mode is you don’t talk about panic mode. And this is purely for personal reasons, but I don’t want Scotland to reject us
63fac99a-8e2a-4cce-9f28-1bb17a7b0fb2-460

It used to be unthinkable. Now it’s thinkable. In fact, in some minds, it’s already been thought. Scotland might be voting yes to independence and splitting from the rest of the union. I’m not Scottish, and I’m therefore powerless to intervene, although I would personally prefer Scotland to stay – but only for entirely selfish and superficial reasons. Reason one: I’d rather not be lumbered with a Tory government from now until the day the moon crashes into the Thames. Two: I quite like Scotland and the Scottish, so it’s hard not to feel somehow personally affronted by their rejection. Why did you just unfriend and unfollow me, Scotland? What did I ever do to you? What’s that? Sorry, you’ll have to slow down a bit. Can’t understand a word you’re saying. Don’t you come with subtitles?! Ha ha ha! No, seriously, come back. Scotland? Scotland?

Apparently the consequences of a split in the union could be calamitous. The skies will fall and the seas will boil and the dead shall rise and the milk will spoil. There will be a great disturbance in the force. Duncan’s horses will turn and eat each other. Starving ravens will peck out your eyes halfway through the Great British Bake Off. Your dad will give birth to a jackal full of hornets. And in London’s last remaining DVD shop, Gregory’s Girl will quietly be re-categorised as “world cinema”.

If Scotland divorces Britain, the union jack will have to be redesigned, which is upsetting news for every p***k with a union jack cushion on their stupid sofa in their stupid house. Minus the soothing, steadying blue of the saltire, the flag’s going to resemble a violent, blood-burst staining a shroud. Better to scrap it and start again with a new design that more accurately reflects the spirit of the age. I vote for a crying brown oblong.

The Queen is on the front pages, looking worried. DON’T LET ME BE THE LAST QUEEN OF SCOTLAND shrieked the Mirror, although MONARCH OF THE GLUM would’ve been a better headline. Or maybe BAH-MORAL.

The Sunday Times’s shock poll plunged Westminster into panic mode. The first rule of panic mode is that you don’t talk about panic mode: thus Alistair Darling could quickly be found on the airwaves denying there was any panic at all, adding that his voice only cracks like that when he’s feeling especially confident and what’s more, he always defecates in his own trousers during interviews.

Darling’s partly to blame for the swing in the polls anyway. I didn’t watch the first debate because I hadn’t actually heard of Scotland at the time, but the second one was a depressing car crash throughout in which Darling spluttered unconvincing, stuttery sentences like a beatboxer with hiccups.

Despite Darling’s panic-denial, Westminster’s response has more than a whiff of clammy desperation about it. George Osborne abruptly announced he would shortly unveil a range of new powers and benefits Scotland could look forward to in the event of a no vote. Increased powers of taxation. The ability to control the sea. Banknotes made of liquorice. Free stickers. If it votes no, Scotland will also receive the Angel of the North, the Eden Project, Stonehenge, the Cutty Sark, Alton Towers, a souvenir pen, a backrub and access to the new royal baby at weekends. It’s all a little undignified, like a man on his knees clutching his girlfriend’s ankles and sobbing that he can change. “It’s no’ you, it’s me,” replies Scotland, in its newly exotic foreign accent, before slinking off to have exciting sex with Greenland.

In case bribery doesn’t work, some of the stars of Westminster are apparently going to tour Scotland giving speeches in favour of staying with the union, even though dispatching politicians to whip up support is the worst thing that could possibly happen, like turning a hose on a drowning man.

Nonetheless, Ed Miliband will visit Scotland to inspire people. To do what? Join Isis? Incredibly, he’ll be teaming up with Gordon Brown. Sitting through back-to-back speeches by Brown and Miliband is a challenge comparable to eating 15 sheets of cardboard with a heavy cold. Expecting that duo to dazzle wavering voters is like entering Stephen Hawking into a clog-dancing contest.

Cameron can’t help here, of course. In Scotland, David Cameron is less popular than Windows 8. He’s the physical embodiment of everything a fair percentage of Scottish people hate: a ruddy-faced old Etonian walking around like he just inherited the place, sporting a permanently shiny chin as though he’s just enjoyed a buttery crumpet in front of the cricket. Worse still, he’s a lizard. An actual lizard. Send him to Scotland to make a speech and the moment a crowd member shouts “boo!” or hurls an egg, Cameron will “display” by raising the hyoid bone of his throat and enlarging his dewlap in a bid to intimidate potential predators. And that won’t play well on Scotland Tonight.

No, the only way Cameron’s going to win a single no vote is if he leaves his clothes on a beach and pretends to have swum off into oblivion, or vows to slam his balls in a car door if Scotland decides to stay. I don’t have a vote, but I vote for the latter.

Amazing that the timetable was just called a dramatic twist by itn news. It's actually galling how much they are trying to pull the wool

Yip. Just watching the ITV news. The full on media effort to "save the union" is underway. Reporters even giving opinions on air about CU.

Not surprising. But still despicable.

Archived