10 interesting facts about Shotts

OldtimeLarky

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

1. Shotts is the coldest place on the Planet. Median temperature in January is Absolute Zero. Eidleweiss grows in Summer. Travel round the schemes is by huskies or walking on snowshoes.

2. Hartwood was built nearby so that inmates could walk home.

3. Shotts prison was built nearby so that inmates could walk home.

4. The surrounding villages Allanton, Harthill Salsburgh etc are also kept dreich and miserable to help prevent Shotts people deserting the place.

5. The legend is that Shotts was named after a Giant, Bertrand ( check this out ). Highly likely to be true, as Bertrand could have been descended from Goliath, a Philistine. Shotts people are well-known Philistines.

6. Willie Coulter the kit man at Shotts is the best at his job in the Juniors. If a pair of socks go missing, he checks the washing lines in Bon Accord Crescent.

7. Shotts BA originally played in seal and bear fur due to the extreme cold; numbers were very difficult to attach. Their Maroon colours date from that era, coming from dried blood on the skins. The Club continued with that colour.

8. Mad Mick McGahey came from the town.

9. Shotts is the home of the World Champion Caber Tosser ( check this out ) but is full of normal tossers.

10. A Shotts family was killed in an avalanche last year- the snow fell off their roof whilst they were at their door.

SHOTTS is the only town in Scotland to have had an Asylum AND a High-Security Prison.

Clever thinking by the authorities, neither the inmates nor the prisoners would want to escape

their mob smash innocent bus windows but then dont trap the following season at home??????

A shameful episode for sure, kids were there to try help Beith stay up, not a bit of bother from the kids, they sang their hearts out only for that to happen.

Was at the game but was home before I found out what went down. We all have our arseholes in our towns, Shotts is no different.

I was down the following season, but if your innocent you've nothing to fear. The people that didn't come were true fans, probably worried about reprisals, brought on by arseholes who are never at any Shotts games.

Yon no 7 scored a braw goal yesterday tho

Davie Crawford is the sevens name, he's coming on to a game but he's been decent most of the season. Was good to get the three points, it helped erase the 5-0 drubbing they gave us last season.

My mate said that Shotts are most famous for getting a doctor struck off for issuing false sick certificates in order to have a .

game postponed. I refuse to believe one word of this and please let me have complete denial to throw back in his face.

My mate said that Shotts are most famous for getting a doctor struck off for issuing false sick certificates in order to have a .

game postponed. I refuse to believe one word of this and please let me have complete denial to throw back in his face.

It's absolute rubbish - we're most famous for having won the Scottish Junior Cup in 1958 and 2012, if you're referring to the football club.

It's absolute rubbish - we're most famous for having won the Scottish Junior Cup in 1958 and 2012, if you're referring to the football club.

Could be your too young to remember. There is a modest bet on this but you saying absolute rubbish hardly settles the argument, He also said they were suspended from Central Region for a year and relegated to bottom league. Now is that rubbish as well.

Could be your too young to remember. There is a modest bet on this but you saying absolute rubbish hardly settles the argument, He also said they were suspended from Central Region for a year and relegated to bottom league. Now is that rubbish as well.

Ha ha, too young indeed, he's father times auld man! ;-)

The suspension and relegation are facts, the other part about fake sick notes I couldn't say. But if HE says it's rubbish, that's what it is.

The SJFA are judge and jury, hardly a democratic establishment, but they call the shots and give out the penalties.

Must be nearly 20 years ago this incident took place, you must have a dreary existence if that's all you have to bet about.

The man who replied to you, I will tell you, his honesty and integrity I would never question, never!

Very kind of you to say so, G!

Despite the SJFA's best efforts to do the good doctor some completely unwarranted professional damage, he survived the resulting investigation by the BMA and continued to administer to his Dykehead patients' needs for some time afterwards.

But they came back for him at a later stage on a completely unconnected enquiry. And that was when he got his arse kicked! Nothing to do with Shotts Bon Accord or so-called 'false sick certificates'.

And yes the Bon Accord were booted out and made to restart at the bottom, but not for what you say. The official reason was for having the gall (and stupidity, it has to be said) to protest a Central League decision in the High Court in Edinburgh before exhausting the required route within the football community.

A book, entitled - IIRC - The 50 Year History of Shotts Bon Accord, was published in 2000. It devotes an entire chapter to the sorry story but I'm told it's a riveting read for those keen to learn the truth of the matter.

Very kind of you to say so, G!

Despite the SJFA's best efforts to do the good doctor some completely unwarranted professional damage, he survived the resulting investigation by the BMA and continued to administer to his Dykehead patients' needs for some time afterwards.

But they came back for him at a later stage on a completely unconnected enquiry. And that was when he got his arse kicked! Nothing to do with Shotts Bon Accord or so-called 'false sick certificates'.

And yes the Bon Accord were booted out and made to restart at the bottom, but not for what you say. The official reason was for having the gall (and stupidity, it has to be said) to protest a Central League decision in the High Court in Edinburgh before exhausting the required route within the football community.

A book, entitled - IIRC - The 50 Year History of Shotts Bon Accord, was published in 2000. It devotes an entire chapter to the sorry story but I'm told it's a riveting read for those keen to learn the truth of the matter.

Superb plug!

Superb plug!

Superb plug!

Thanks situation cleared up. Think I've lost a large malt. Just cannot recall that case that must have hit the headlines at the time.

Shotts park in it once, the back straight at Musselburgh is nearer than than viewing the game from behind the goals, to the far end.

Archived