Ian Watkins

Sorry but that's the easy way out for him. The punishment of rotting in jail is worse than death IMO.

European human rights laws mean that the concept of 'rotting in jail' is an ideal of a bygone era. A couple of years in, he'll be perfectly well institutionalised and getting on with a new 'normal'.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

European human rights laws mean that the concept of 'rotting in jail' is an ideal of a bygone era. A couple of years in, he'll be perfectly well institutionalised and getting on with a new 'normal'.

Did you actually just make Human Rights sound like a negative?

Yes but they would have been known to other people before this was revealed.

The women have been named on the internet though, presumably by people that either want to show off what they know without thinking about the consequences for the kids or they want some vigilante justice handed out, probably without actually getting their own hands dirty, without thinking about the consequences for the kids. Either way, it was a bloody thoughtless and selfish thing to do.

Should watkins have been given anonymity if he had abused his own children, hypotheticaly speaking?

Should watkins have been given anonymity if he had abused his own children, hypotheticaly speaking?

Hypothetically, if they were known to be his children, yes. However, I don't think there's anything concrete to suggest either were his children. Given what the judge has said, you'd think there would be mention of the fact, particularly on consideration to his sentencing, though you can see why he wouldn't if he's trying to protect the children.

Just finished reading through the sentence report posted by @JudiciaryUK. Absolutely horrifying, I've never read anything like it. Sickening.

It's shameful that the mother who got 13 years will be eligible for parole in under six years, they should have received similar sentences to Watkins.

Harrowing stuff. http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/r-v-watkins-and-others.pdf (takes ages to download)

One point used in the sentencing is that the babies will inevitably find out what happened to them when they get older. With FOI and the red tops swarming that's probably true, but I can't help thinking they'd be better off not knowing. Sometimes rerunning traumatic events can be helpful, but i suspect that some memories are buried for a reason, whatever age of the victim.

You either have Human Rights, or you don't. You can't just have them for some and not for others, regardless of whether that satisfies the bloodlust of the "hang 'em high" brigade.

I have no bloodlust, and don't believe in the death penalty. No person should have the right to take the life of another. However, if someone guilty of this degree of depraved criminality wishes to hang himself high, I don't think the state should feel obliged to, at great expense, prevent them from doing so.

The official report is just too much, reading it I definitely feel the 'mothers' (only be default not by nature) are as much to blame, some of things mentioned in the texts they sent Watkins are just too much to handle. Shameful stuff from a human being.

Absolutely. Better than the expensive alternative. The world is best served without him, as a human being, he is write off.

Sorry but that's the easy way out for him. The punishment of rotting in jail is worse than death IMO.

With FOI and the red tops swarming that's probably true, but I can't help thinking they'd be better off not knowing.

I doubt FoI legislation would allow the release of the names / material relating to legal proceedings.

The only thing keeping what he did off "The worst I've ever heard of" arena is that it supposedly happened in isolated incidents in hotels rooms. Most child abuse takes place in the home, consistently, over years. No point in ranking evil in that way though.

The only thing keeping what he did off "The worst I've ever heard of" arena is that it supposedly happened in isolated incidents in hotels rooms. Most child abuse takes place in the home, consistently, over years. No point in ranking evil in that way though.

I'd say that meant that there was a degree of planning that went into it.

You're right though that one is no worse than the other.

Archived