P&B Dead Pool 2014

Fuctifano

...so why not have a little fun with it?

Yes, it's that time of year again. 2013 might only be lying in state for a couple more weeks yet before being buried in a remote plot near its ancestral homeland but it's time to take entries for next year.

If you know the idea and have played in a previous P&B dead pool, fire your PMs to me with your squad of 15 names and reasons for fame when you're ready. The scoring system seems to work pretty well so I’ve kept it the same for this year. One minor tweak to the rules re: death penalty.

If you haven't played before (or would like a refresher), as the name suggests this is a competition where you pick 15 famous folk who you think will draw their last breath in 2014. With long time favourites Thatcher and Mandela both checking out in 2013 there should be a lot more variety in the entries this year.

It's free to enter and with no prizes other than the satisfaction of being a wee bit like the grim reaper, the strange feeling when you’re scrolling through twitter on the train, see someone on your list has died, and punch the air in celebration, and the opportunity to make terrible jokes on this thread when someone famous dies.

There are rules:

Teams contain 15 picks. One pick is a "captain" who scores extra bonus points should they die. This year your captain will score more based on their age so a younger captain will score more than an older one.

You can't pick the same person more than once.

The game starts at midnight on January 1st 2014 and runs until December 31st 2014. Entries have to be in before then.

People have to be sufficiently famous that their obituary makes a UK-based national news source such as - but not limited to- BBC, national newspapers, or Reuters UK. Local newspapers and special interest magazines (Gardner's Weekly etc) aren't broad enough and don't count.

Regarding this rule: I can't really rule anyone out on the grounds I've not heard of them- people in the past have picked a shedload of wrestlers who were probably all valid picks but I'd heard of none of them. However if your pick dies and isn't so obviously famous that it's all over the news then it's up to you to find a qualifying news story. The main ones where people have difficulty ticking this off are American-specific sports stars of bygone days (NFL, baseball etc) where their death goes totally unnoticed on this side of the pond.

Picks have to be human, real people (no soap opera characters etc) and over 18 years of age on 1/1/14.

You're not allowed to pick people currently under sentence of death or awaiting trial where the death penalty is a viable outcome. If they’re fugitives on the run then they are eligible.

You're not allowed to pick someone famous *purely* for being ill. This one has caused a bit of confusion before. You're allowed to pick someone famous who has –for example- cancer, and indeed this is a good strategy. This rule is about not picking folk that are raising loads of money for charity as they're about to die or anyone planning a glass of orange juice chez café Dignitas.

You're not allowed to kill any of your picks. So if you do it, please make sure you get away with it. For all our sakes.

If you pick someone that's already dead I'll try and let you know but the overall responsibility for your team is yours.

Scoring

Each "hit" is worth a base score of 125 points minus the person's age (no change from last year). So the younger they are if they go, the more points for you.

BONUS OPPORTUNITIES: The Nobel Peace Prize one doesn’t exist anymore.

"First Blood" - First pick overall to die in the year gets bonus of 25 points for each person who had them
"Solo Shot" - If you're the only one with a pick who dies("Solo Shot"), you get a bonus of 30 points.
"Deadly duo", 20 points for being one of two with that pick
"Captain Calamity"- if your captain snuffs it you get another set of base points added on.
"Deadly December" - as with the captain rule. What this means is that if your captain dies in December you get 3 x base and not 4 x base.
"Last Gasp" - Last pick overall to die in the year gets bonus of 25 points per person who had them.
"Unnatural causes"- 40 points if your pick is murdered, commits suicide, or dies in an accident.
"Unlucky 13" - 13 bonus points if your pick dies on the 13th of the month. This is trebled to 39 if it's a Friday 13th.
"Unhappy birthday"- 50 bonus points if your pick dies on their birthday

In summary

PM me your 15 picks including captain and their reason for fame if it's not obvious (I do know how to use google but it’s good to hear people’s reasons) by 31st December 2013 and I should have the lists up on Ne'erday depending on hangover severity.

We don't really need dates of birth as this tends to be given when the person dies.
If you want to change your squad before 31st December you can within reason.
If you don't include a captain I'll default to the name at the top of your list.

We had over 100 entries last time and hopefully the success of last year’s will get more folk interested.

I’ll update this OP every couple of days to confirm receipt of entries. Couple of folk last year said they PMd me but I never got it.

Any questions, stick them below.

CONFIRMED AND VERIFIED ENTRIES

Mizfit

Enigma

Mr Rational

Eye Valley

Broony88

Cowdenbeath Loyal

turboshandy

mrcat1990

Southside Hibee

Desp

footiechick

Ross.

Spain

Duszek

The_Craig

LoonsYouthTeam

Lichtgilphead

Savage Henry

Arbroathlegend36-0

Tinkerbelle

GeeJay

ditots

Bobby Skidmarks

Lou Brusch

Invergowrie Arab

Spiggle

Latapy The Legend

YassinMoutouakil

Sloop John B

el buitre

ffcsam

Desert Nomad

Reid

McJazz

Dillinger

ebbes20silkcut

Jersey Bud

Raidernation

pub car king

fifergaz

DBA

honestrae95

Neefie Noodle

pedromcg

Wiganwell

Capybara

Michael W

Aberdeen Bud

The Naitch

mozam76

superwell87

Mo Wonderboy

p&b is a disgrace

Just one Cornetto

cal234ey

Pedz4king

Glen Sannox

Monkeyblair

keyser_soze

Dindeleux

Bert Raccoon

Sooky

qos_75

blanco

dundeefc1783

doulikefish

Bold Rover

Daisy Raikkonen

the Master

forehead7

ComfortablyNumb1910

Oddy

Lex

Edgarus QPFC

Ben Twilly

Cambozpar

Thisal

Sleazy

Speckled Tangerine

Pawpar

Sparky88

Young Hope

Ayrunitedfw

Jags4Ever

Sgt Wilson

Blootoon87

aberfeldy

Thomas4

Kid Twist

Chomp my root

Colgan

Keynesian

Ziggy

Eindhoven Dee

Top 6 next year

Gorilla

Paulathame

JasonElgin

CC33

Turkmenbashi

Lichtie23

AlbinoRover

Drs

Stirling Blue

Jamie Stevenson

Pandarilla

Weirdcal

Sheriff John Bunnell

Choirbairn

Nessie's Long Lost Ghost

GordieBoy80

Lolls

Once a Rover always a Rover

Cille Mhernig

Leggy Blonde

Pride of the Clyde

QPSnapper

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 dead this year which has been a season of consolidation. Next year's preliminary squad is in my drawer at work over the next week that will be whittled down before the unlucky participants are on the team sheet.

I've done the easy bit and assembled a shortlist of 30. I consider it to be a strong squad, they're all worth a place and it will be very hard getting rid of half of them.

The last two weeks of the year have become the most nerve-wracking for me, I'll be spending the next 16 days in complete and utter fear of one of those not in my 2013 team snuffing it (see Tony Greig last December!)

Been keeping a running shortlist all year long - must be about 45/50 strong now. Need to whittle that down to go along with the regulars in my current squad. I've had the same 4/5 folk for years and too scared to leave them out now.

3 hits this year (so far) and looking at a top 30 position. That's not bad really. Next year however, I'm cranking it up a gear.

I've 9 definite picks so far, with 19 others left on the shortlist to whittle down.

This sounds tremendous. This will be my first time playing. The thinking cap is going on to work out my squad.

Spain's top tip: In 2-3 weeks time, start researching and compiling your 2015 list. Dead Pool's not a game, it's a way of life.

Archived