Wrestling Podcasts

Shuggie_Murray7

Long time observer, first time poster here. 

Can anyone recommend any wrestling podcasts that do listener phone ins (or even listener questions)? I guess I'm looking for a Sportsound equivalent for wrestling (lol) I used to love Post Wrestling's Cafe Hangout but I think that's now part of their Patreon as opposed to their main feed. Anything like that preferably.

1 hour ago, Tiger Driver said:

Can anyone recommend any wrestling podcasts that do listener phone ins (or even listener questions)? I guess I'm looking for a Sportsound equivalent for wrestling (lol) I used to love Post Wrestling's Cafe Hangout but I think that's now part of their Patreon as opposed to their main feed. Anything like that preferably.

Aye they do it on their SmackDown recap now. Only free one I can really think of is the new one Eric Bischoff & Conrad started up that’s on a season break at the minute, For the Heat it’s called. 

On 30/07/2021 at 20:13, Tiger Driver said:

Jim Cornette does a Q&A once a week and is called Jim Cornette's Drive Thru.

Arn Anderson does a Q&A podcast pretty much every week.

Likes of JR and Eric Bischoff do one like once a month or so.

Jeff Jarrett's isn't a Q&A but it's my favourite right now.

ETA: No live phone ins unfortunately. Just readers questions.

Edited by Ludo*1

• 2 weeks later...

Something to Wrestle With Bruce Prichard's Q&A episodes are usually good. I don't really have enough interest to listen to Conrad spend four hours discussing a single PPV in minute detail with him but the Q&As (or episodes where they focus on a specific wrestler's career/run) are good. 

19 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Not a regular cornette listener but caught his Bobby Eaton tribute episode. Guy was genuinely heartbroken.

Yeah, was absolutely brilliant. He even said that Tony Khan's tribute to him was amazing and that whilst he hates what Khan is doing with wrestling he can now appreciate him as an amazing human being.

The Ringer/Spotify and WWE are linking up to produce some new podcasts. The Ringer produced the Andre the Giant doc for HBO and are meant to be working on a Vince doc if I remember right.

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/spotify-ringer-wwe-podcasts-exclusive-1235043252/

While I listen to quite a few Ringer podcasts around movies, tv, and american sports. I've given most of their wrestling stuff a wide berth.

Picturing "Jim in Netherlee" moaning about Cesaro being underutilised.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

I know football fans sometimes get a bad rap for being absolute zoomers, but going by Squared Circle Reddit, an unrestricted wrestling phone in would be fucking brilliant.

2 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I swear one of these used to exist donkeys ago, can’t even imagine the crowd you’d get on one now 

There was a Sunday night one on Talksport in the early 00s with Alex Shane, Katie-Lee Burchill and Tommy Boyd (not that one).

As a teenage smark who wasn't online at the time and had only recently discovered Power Slam magazine, I thought it was the best thing I'd ever heard.

• 1 month later...

Not a massively big Cornette fan but Brian Last who co hosts with him has just put out one of his very irregular 605 superpodcasts. Wow, total clusterf*CK of a thing. 5 hours long, I'm about an hour and a half in and it's a weird mix of genuinely interesting wrestling history and tragically unfunny "comedy" skits. I'm honestly cringing at some of this more than I've ever cringed at a podcast, I'm never making 5 hours of this.

• 1 month later...

Feels like Conrad has given up on the Angle podcast already. He just chucks anyone else he can find on as the host these days, and half of them seem to be Kurt interviewing other people now.

All the podcasts are just full of adverts these days. Would say I enjoy Arn’s the most, but the ads are making them all a bit of a struggle tbh.

Edited by Nightmare

It's a problem with podcasts across the board to be honest.  Particularly now that Patreon etc are a thing, and they can easily offer ad-free episodes.  They can double dip like that - I need to make a living, so I'm going to fill this episode with as many ads as I can.  Don't want to hear them?  Line my pockets elsewhere...

It's hardly a good listen, but if someone's giving decent content, it's hard to really grudge it, particularly if they can work said ads in more naturally than others.  Stuff like the Football Ramble and their ilk add about 5-6 minutes of ads to every episode, spreading them throughout (think it was something like 3 in a row at the start, couple in the middle, then couple at the end).  Some of the other podcasts I listen to at least do the reads themselves to try and add something to them.  

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's punting an Ad Free version for like £30 a month.

For just the main podcast channel streams its £7 p/m + VAT. Don't think its worth it. I just skip through the ads.

The only podcast I have ever been slightly tempted to subscribe to was when the Empire Movie Podcast moved their Spoiler Specials behind a paywall.

Keepin it 100 with Konnan & Disco Inferno is alright sometimes.

Edited by 8MileBU

• 2 months later...