The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

9 hours ago, The Captain said:

6/10 for Friday. Really bizarre movie that - Being John Malkovich.  Odd but as Barry Norman would say " and why not"..

(Un)interestingly enough, when I was on Countdown, Barry Norman was in dictionary corner and Whiteley took him to task about his catchphrase. Bazza (to his mates) replied that not only was it not his catchphrase, but he'd never actually said it once. So they made him say it. 

It made for great telly, as you can imagine. 

And here's more stuff. At the recent Mods and Quiz Thread Conference in Hokkaido, Tynietraitor and I were discussing the league table wrt the dearth of players in the bottom league. After 16 brandies, he got quite vocal about sticking to three leagues (I think he said something patronising about "the little oiks" like to win something at one point) ... but to even things up, move to leagues of 10,10,10ish ... I'm fine with this, but since I'm in the relegation zone at the moment and likely to benefit from such gerrymandering, I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?

Edit: I'm talking utter horse dung. I'm down regardless. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

3 x 10 team leagues sounds good. Or 2 x 10 and the basement of stragglers (showing off as it’s been a while since I was there). Just disappointed that even as the founder and organiser of QWC2018 I wasn’t invited

10 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

And here's more stuff. At the recent Mods and Quiz Thread Conference in Hokkaido, Tynietraitor and I were discussing the league table wrt the dearth of players in the bottom league. After 16 brandies, he got quite vocal about sticking to three leagues (I think he said something patronising about "the little oiks" like to win something at one point) ... but to even things up, move to leagues of 10,10,10ish ... I'm fine with this, but since I'm in the relegation zone at the moment and likely to benefit from such gerrymandering, I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?

Colts teams must be the answer

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

We tried that before. It wasn't exactly a blistering success. 

kids.png

They'll still fill the bottom league

4 hours ago, NJ2 said:

3 x 10 team leagues sounds good. Or 2 x 10 and the basement of stragglers (showing off as it’s been a while since I was there). Just disappointed that even as the founder and organiser of QWC2018 I wasn’t invited

Cups and Leagues have separate governing bodies, everyone knows that FFS.

Cups and Leagues have separate governing bodies, everyone knows that FFS.

I think that for the good of the game we can all work together. Separate governing bodies with such a small sample doesn’t lead to best management

I think we should adopt the Mexican system, Cardie loves a challenge.

Liga MX, known as the Primera División (First Division) before the 2012–13 season, is the highest level of Mexican football and consists of 18 clubs. Each calendar year is split into two short tournaments, the Apertura (Opening) and the Clausura (Closing). In each short tournament, a club plays the other 17 clubs once. The home team switches, depending on the current short tournament.

A new champion is crowned for each short tournament through a playoff system consisting of eight teams. The top eight clubs qualify for the playoffs. The clubs are arranged before each round so that the highest seeded team remaining always plays the lowest seed remaining. The clubs play in a two-legged tie, with one match occurring at each club's home ground, and whichever club has the better aggregate score advances. If the two clubs are tied after both legs in the quarterfinals and semifinals, the higher seed advances automatically. In the finals, if the two clubs are tied after both legs, two 15-minute halves of extra time are added. If the clubs are still tied after extra time the champion is determined by kicks from the penalty mark.

One club is relegated to Ascenso MX each year (two short tournaments). To determine the club to be relegated, the ratio of points to games is kept for each team. The club that has the worst points to games ratio over the previous three years (six short tournaments) is relegated to Ascenso MX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_football_league_system

I'd favour three divisions of ten, if posters don't submit scores and we end up without enough teams to fill the leagues, the Cardinal will be given the task of training a troupe of psychic animals to choose the missing posters' answers for them.

It's about time he did some bloody work.

Edit: or the Mexican League system, that sounds fun.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa