The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Thought I was a stick-on for the full bhoona today. Ended up getting a paltry 5. Couldn't even remember the Queen's middle names. I'll never be a Sevco fan at this rate :(

http://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2013/dec/17/daily-quiz-17-december-2013

7/10 and I only truly knew one answer. There is an art to guessing but I did get lucky as well.

As regards the art of guessing, if there was a question on the colours of the stripes in an obscure country's flag and the options were

a) red, yellow, black

b) red, yellow, white

c) black, yellow, white

d) red, black, white

who can tell me what the correct answer is?

7/10 and I only truly knew one answer. There is an art to guessing but I did get lucky as well.

As regards the art of guessing, if there was a question on the colours of the stripes in an obscure country's flag and the options were

a) red, yellow, black

b) red, yellow, white

c) black, yellow, white

d) red, black, white

Defo not B or C - tricoloured flags usually have 2 dark colours and one light. I'd go for A as it's the reverse of Belgium.

a) red, yellow, black

b) red, yellow, white

c) black, yellow, white

d) red, black, white

This is either so obscure or a trick question. I'm with the cardinal, it's a) Belgium in a mirror

Edited by I'm Brian

a) red, yellow, black

b) red, yellow, white

c) black, yellow, white

d) red, black, white

Isn't red the most common colour in a fleg? Would go for C purely because it's the only one not to have red.

On the flag question, when people make up these questions they generally make each distractor (wrong answer) different in one part so three have red in the first position and one doesn't, three have yellow in the second, three have white in the third. The correct answer would be b) which has the common factor in each. It's amazing how often I've guessed the right answer in multi-choice questions using this technique.

I once attended a seminar on exam writing and was given a test paper of ten questions about nonsensical scenarios i.e. using terminology which was made-up. I got all ten right and was supposed to as the whole point of the exercise was to show that you can lead someone who knows nothing about a scenario to get the right answer if you write the question badly enough.

That's not quite what you asked though! If the question was simply "Which is the correct answer?", then I'd have probably gone with your answer (although I've set many multiple-choice questions where I've avoided doing what you've described, and many quiz-setters now do likewise). But by muddying the water by making us think of the typical composition of flags, you've led us down a different path. Which coming to think about it, might have been your idea all along!

You're right though with your second point. Someone who can make their living playing quiz machines (and there are still a select few) would probably fare relatively poorly on a normal general knowledge quiz, without the crutch of being able to eliminate the wrong answers.

I look forward to your imminent 10/10 on this Guardian Quiz!

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu