The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

29 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Why fix it if it ain’t broke, many ask. Why ain’t it broke, retorts the cardigan.

With a traditional cup, it takes about 5/6 rounds of 10 questions to get a winner (and that's before you consider the play-offs) ... every team that's knocked out is generally left twiddling their 110 fingers (11 players x 10 fingers ... even more if the team is from Fife) until the next cup starts which can take a while. I reckon the new format Skol Cup gives the diddier teams a better chance of fluking a cup victory ... plus the whole thing can be wrapped up in a week and then we (and when I say we, I mean someone else) can do another cup and get that barren pink column (heh) filled up a bit. The only fly in the ointment is that it'll be a bugger to mark, but rest assured you'll get to hear all about that next week (possibly with video if I can be arsed).

I'm quite excited about this new format. I might pitch it to all the major TV networks. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

First, here's the league tables for Tuesday!

image.thumb.png.1ca82c02ff650e13f870bbf5317ef7fa.png

I would have had the next cup to post, but I seem to have left all the questions at home (either that or the dog ate them), so you'll have to hold off until this evening or tomorrow morning. The excitement is palpable. 

Point of order, sir! I got a 7 for Tuesday (I did get 5 on Monday though.)

2 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well, while we're waiting for me to go home and get the questions, here's a bit more elaboration on how the scoring will work. Quite straightforward really ...

The team that wins the FEWEST points will win the inaugural SKOL CUP. (now read below before you get too excited) .... 

I ask a numerical / chronological question such as "How old is Cardinal Richelieu? (me, not the impostor from centuries ago)" ... 

So imagine the teams guessed the following:

• Team 1: 21
  • Team 2: 30
  • Team 3: 39
  • Team 4: 40
  • Team 5: 41
  • Team 6: 42
  • Team 7: 50

I would then rank the teams on how close they are to the correct answer (41)... hence:

• 1st - Team 5 (1st place so they get one point)
  • 2nd= Teams 4 and 6 (they get 2 points each)
  • 4th - Team 3 (4 points)
  • 5th - Team 7 (5 points)
  • 6th - Team 2 (6 points)
  • 7th - Team 1 (7 points)

Therefore, the closest you get to the correct answer, the fewer points you'll get. A few things to take into account:

• I can't start doing the marking until all entries are in
  • With approx. 15 questions and c. 35 teams this is going to be a right royal pain in the arse to work out, even using Excel (Tynie - this is like a modern day abacus)

Still, I'm up for a challenge. And in the meantime, in case you forget the name of the cup:

Ii+don+t+even+know+how+to+respond+to+tha

And 6 for Wednesday

Edited by Mark Connolly

Yes, folk - it's time ... grab your favourite glass of piss-weak flavourless beer and raise it to celebrate the ...

Tennents Sixes Cup! Brought to you in association with Skol. 

image.png.5d775055179d4a285c4b57f2bcdc105d.png

Similar to the erstwhile indoor football tournament, you don't have to wait a season to find a winner. This'll be done and dusted in a week. 

I've gone into great and interesting detail about how the tournament is going to work earlier in this page, but in summary:

• You've got a week to answer all the questions below. PM your answers to me by Tuesday 19th Februay at 12 noon (GMT)
  • The answer to each question is a number / date ... the closer you get to the correct answer, the better you'll do
  • In the event of more than 1 team winning, we'll hand out a cup to each winning team. Let's be honest, it's a "1" in a column - hardly going to break the bank
  • I've done this joke recently, but it's a case of Tennent's to the winners. 2 cases to the losers. 
  • Honestly, it's that simple. Hardly worth me using bullets really. 

Here's your questions ...

1. In which year was the Scottish Reformation, when Scotland split from the Roman Catholic church?  
  2. Fish is mainly associated with the band Marillion. How old is he? 
  3. How many Roman emperors made up the Julio-Claudian dynasty?
  4. In which year were the Hells Angels founded? 
  5. In degrees Celsius, what is the boiling point of everyone's favourite alcohol, ethanol? 
  6. Alan Clarke's last film, "The Firm" dealt with football violence in the UK. In what year was it released? 
  7. The Scottish Junior Leagues are split into three regions, West, East and North. In total, how many member clubs are there currently? (when I say currently, I mean whenever someone last updated Wikipedia) 
  8. In total, how many episodes of Australian police drama Blue Heelers were made?
  9. How many countries lie on the equator? (this includes countries where the equator passes through their territorial waters but doesn't actually pass through land). 
  10. Of the 50 state capitals of the United States of America, how many start with the letter A?
  11. How many books would you find in the standard King James Bible?
  12. How many prime numbers would you find between 0 and 1000?
  13. How many Academy Award nominations for Best Actor has Nicolas Cage received? 
  14. In which year was the TV series The West Wing first released in the USA? 
  15. (Picture Question) In which episode of Neighbours did Helen Daniels die? 

image.png.0cef508ae660d8ddc6a9d4af7d431341.png

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

With a traditional cup, it takes about 5/6 rounds of 10 questions to get a winner (and that's before you consider the play-offs) ... every team that's knocked out is generally left twiddling their 110 fingers (11 players x 10 fingers ... even more if the team is from Fife) until the next cup starts which can take a while. I reckon the new format Skol Cup gives the diddier teams a better chance of fluking a cup victory ... plus the whole thing can be wrapped up in a week and then we (and when I say we, I mean someone else) can do another cup and get that barren pink column (heh) filled up a bit. The only fly in the ointment is that it'll be a bugger to mark, but rest assured you'll get to hear all about that next week (possibly with video if I can be arsed).
I'm quite excited about this new format. I might pitch it to all the major TV networks. 
I keep telling you.........

The cup column looks good just as it is, I'm sure Eednund will now agree!

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

If it's called The Cardinal Number do I get royalties for the name?

8/10 for Wed.  This would give me 2 Cardy buttons points if no one gets another 9 or a 10.  Amirite?

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

If it's called The Cardinal Number do I get royalties for the name?

8/10 for Wed.  This would give me 2 Cardy buttons points if no one gets another 9 or a 10.  Amirite?

I was dishing out the Cardinal Number patter about 1,000 pages ago mate!

And you know fine well this format only applies to the league, you scoundrel!