The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

13 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

There’s been an error in the tables. I’ve been awarded a nine for Thursday but as you can see that’s just wishful thinking. An adjustment takes me back to the mid table mediocrity I am more used to. Pain in the nuts as promotions etc. need changed but I can’t accept a title I didn’t win.

Bugger, it’s what I inherited. I’ll post a revised table tomorrow but the winner is now @The_Kincardine with @Ross and @deej also promoted and @Snobot in the play-off.

Thanks @Eednud The Captain has been missing in action since last Friday, last seen hanging around some loose women. I'm sure he will surface when the times good.,

The Artillery guns have started, it's Play Off time.

Dross Squad this weekend are;

Lieutenant General 2nd in Command Playoff

@alang1993 v @MSU

Brigadier 2nd Division Champion Playoff

@Helpma v @Leeds Saint

Major Play Off

@The DA v @NotThePars

Private Play Off

@Cardinal Richelieu v @Snobot

Question - Lieutenant-Colonel Bertram Best-Dunkley VC. What date did he die?

I may just remark that an officer observed in the mess this morning that he supposed that there were some people who liked the Kaiser, but he was sure that there was not a single soul who liked Best-Dunkley! 

Answer to be signaled to my PM box no later than Monday 06:00 TT

Edited by SlipperyP

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Bugger, it’s what I inherited. I’ll post a revised table tomorrow but the winner is now @The_Kincardine with @Ross and @deej also promoted and @Snobot in the play-off.

Cardinal chucked you a curve ball there old chap. Well played.

Hope he gets beat in the playoff, surely nothing could go wrong!

9 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Excuse me, I think you'll find it's The Captain's by default. The two best words in the English language.

Not according to the Cardinal's arcane rules.

Swing and a miss, thanks for playing, etc.

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Thanks @Eednud The Captain has been missing in action since last Friday, last seen hanging around some loose women. I'm sure he will surface when the times good.,

The Artillery guns have started, it's Play Off time.

Dross Squad this weekend are;

@alang1993 v @MSU

@Helpma v @Leeds Saint

Major Play Off

@The DA v @NotThePars

Private Play Off

@Cardinal Richelieu v @Snobot

Answer to be signaled to my PM box no later than Monday 06:00 TT

FFS I should have read the question properly.

16 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

How did you read it?

If anyone doesnt want too do it, I will do a cup?

I didn't read the quote.  The quote that gave a clue to the earliest date.  And I guessed something like 14  years before that.

Edited by The DA

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

How did you read it?

If anyone doesnt want too do it, I will do a cup?

I hope it's of a better standard than your usual efforts.

Yes, indeed, that would be excellent.

On 19/10/2019 at 13:43, BigBo10 said:

There’s been an error in the tables. I’ve been awarded a nine for Thursday but as you can see that’s just wishful thinking. An adjustment takes me back to the mid table mediocrity I am more used to. Pain in the nuts as promotions etc. need changed but I can’t accept a title I didn’t win.

On 19/10/2019 at 13:58, Eednud said:

Bugger, it’s what I inherited. I’ll post a revised table tomorrow but the winner is now @The_Kincardine 

Top posting from @BigBo10.  It's a 'based on trust' thread and yer man delivered.

I was trying to find a 'champagne toilet duck' gif but failed.  Still, this title means as much to me as the Petrofac trophy...

The whistle blows and over the top they went;

Dross Squad this weekend were;

@alang19936th of September 1918. I'm not entirely sure who the guy is tbh. The Victoria Cross is a helpful clue(I think). I'm sure a lot of them were awarded for stuff world war 1 related, hence my 1918 guess

v @MSU Let’s go with August 17, 1917. 

@HelpmaApril 16th 1916.  I shall now go and look him up to find out why I should know him. 

v @Leeds Saint 21st January 1950

Major Play Off

@The DAI'm going to guess at the Boer War, so October 19th 1900.

v @NotThePars  I'm going with 17th June 1936.

Private Play Off

@Cardinal Richelieu  NO SCORE

v @Snobot I’ll say 19th October 1919.

Congratulation @MSU, who returned to tell us about his victory. It was a gallant effort from @alang1993, he was up against one of the best.

Champion of Div 2 goes to @Helpma, I'll not post his full message it was the memoirs  indeed, he went through a lot to get to his answer. @Leeds Saint, tried the flank move but it never came off.

Congratulations @The DA, while winning will also receive a court martial for discussing the Play Off question during battle, @NotThePars, should be kicking himself for notreadingthethread before sending his message. He was shot down while climbing the parapet 

Also congratulation to @Snobot with his 100 year anniversary date, good idea private, let's see what you can do on your first every promotion lad. As for @Cardinal Richelieu, just as expected from a coward of a man, when you need a man next to you when hell is all around, this man goes AWOL.

If anyone is interested I have been reading about WW1 recently https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/World_War_I_(Bookshelf)#Western_Front_.28France_and_the_Low_Countries.29

Bertram was just chosen randomly, and why not, maybe not a famous name, but still a hero.  Famous now on the P&B Quiz Thread.

Keep strong and march on.