The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

1 hour ago, alang1993 said:

Create a scale (from 1 to 10, with funny answers for each) and I'll answer

10 is hard but, using a scale based on posters, I'll have a go at 5..  Others can add their own insight: 

1. Oor own Tynie with a special interest in boy bands with a peculiar interest in Westlife.
2. Wastecoatwilly - the spelling maestro of the thread
3. Great Chieftain o' the Cardi Race with a special vexillological interest in asymmetrical flegs.
4. Dundee.  sdrawkcab sgniht sllepS
5. MSU.  MSU2, honey.  Let's meet soon.

Happy to hand the baton over...

Edited by The_Kincardine

26 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I'm sure you did well.  Hopefully next one I will get along

We should draw up list of quizzes in the central belt and get some teams sorted if anyone fancies it.

Ps I hope you made The Captain go to the bar and I really hope you made that tight sod Richeleau buy more than one round 

Tynie, assuming you are Edinburgh based there is one West end that's on a Monday night I think, I've always fancied it

Well we did get pumped to an extent, but I said before the event if we didn't come last that would count as a victory. And thus:

image.png.f7ec3aa1a2623c46bff76b4231cf6677.png

To describe this quiz does solid things a dis-service. Twas hard but fair, and the four of us had a good mix of knowledge (although The Captain got a bit too exuberant singing along to a Donovan song at one point for my liking). Despite the fact we only got slightly more than half the points of the winning team, we were getting into our stride by the final round. It was also very fast-paced, and some of the questions were quite long-  hence our quiz sheets ended up looking like this:

image.png.e49edba5ba1de84e7eabb495e3a2e24c.png

But thanks to @Frankie S for hosting a well-run and enjoyable night. One thing I would say - my league tables look much snazzier than yours :P

If anyone fancies doing a pub quiz in Glasgow any time soon, let me know. My mate runs one most evenings in various pubs and they're probably a wee bit more our level ... in fact, he's on holiday in May so I'll be hosting some of them in his absence. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

28 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well we did get pumped to an extent, but I said before the event if we didn't come last that would count as a victory. 

But thanks to @Frankie S for hosting a well-run and enjoyable night. One thing I would say - my league tables look much snazzier than yours :P

If anyone fancies doing a pub quiz in Glasgow any time soon, let me know. My mate runs one most evenings in various pubs and they're probably a wee bit more our level ... in fact, he's on holiday in May so I'll be hosting some of them in his absence. 

Thanks for coming guys. It’s probably as tough a quiz as you’ll find anywhere, and the standard of the top teams is ridiculous, but you were closing in on the team just above you towards the end, and finished well clear of bottom spot. It’s not called the Champions Quiz for nothing - teams qualify for this by winning (usually multiple) other pub quizzes around town. I normally play for the team who finished in third place last night. We win most normal pub quizzes, but we’ve only won the Champions Quiz about 6 or 7 times in over 4 years of trying (although we did win the last couple before last night).

Even the mid table teams are exceptional, but I reckon once you got to up to speed with the format and pace of the quiz, which you clearly were adjusting to as you went along, you’d soon find yourselves working your way up the table. You’d certainly be welcome back any time.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Well we did get pumped to an extent, but I said before the event if we didn't come last that would count as a victory. And thus:

image.png.f7ec3aa1a2623c46bff76b4231cf6677.png

To describe this quiz does solid things a dis-service. Twas hard but fair, and the four of us had a good mix of knowledge (although The Captain got a bit too exuberant singing along to a Donovan song at one point for my liking). Despite the fact we only got slightly more than half the points of the winning team, we were getting into our stride by the final round. It was also very fast-paced, and some of the questions were quite long-  hence our quiz sheets ended up looking like this:

image.png.e49edba5ba1de84e7eabb495e3a2e24c.png

Tsk Tsk fellas. Didn't know Houston rockets or Jackie Robinson, letting the league down IMHO. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Saint said:

Tsk Tsk fellas. Didn't know Houston rockets or Jackie Robinson, letting the league down IMHO. 

Frankie is going to get the questions to me over the next couple of days and I think someone might be rattling together a cup with some of the questions we got asked. That will truly sort the men out from the boys! 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Frankie is going to get the questions to me over the next couple of days and I think someone might be rattling together a cup with some of the questions we got asked. That will truly sort the men out from the boys! 

Get him to fire in some more American sport questions, might have a chance.

I never really pay any attention to this this thread so when the teams were announced I was wondering if the Pie & Bovril Reserves team was anything to do with this fine website.  Decent effort for a first shot - it's a really tough quiz.  I've been doing it for years and have never come anywhere near winning (or even answering any questions, it sometimes feels like...)

53 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

I never really pay any attention to this this thread so when the teams were announced I was wondering if the Pie & Bovril Reserves team was anything to do with this fine website.  Decent effort for a first shot - it's a really tough quiz.  I've been doing it for years and have never come anywhere near winning (or even answering any questions, it sometimes feels like...)

Cheers mate. You should have come and said hello! Which team were you in ?

Anyway, if I'm going to boast about my snazzy league tables, I guess I should actually fire up Thursday's. Note the missed days from Gman and Adam101

image.png.5ad269ca564b196ac0f3eedc6d2dc2ae.png

image.png.106bc35295c8621aa6400dc049e2df3a.png

image.png.6a4c7ee52c7264e71551ed0275ef9e47.png