The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Bollocks to that Mexican system. If we're going to go with any ridiculous Central American tournament, I would nominate the 1994 Caribbean Cup Qualifiers...

On January 27, 1994, the Barbados national football team and Grenada national football team played against each other as part of the qualification round for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. Due to an unusual scoring rule, as well as the two teams' respective positions in the tournament, it was alternately in Barbados's, then Grenada's, best interest to score an own goal. The result has been described as "one of the strangest football matches ever".[1][2]

The organizers of the tournament imposed a rule requiring all matches to have a winner and had chosen an unusual variant of the golden goal rule, which meant that the first goal scored in extra-time not only won the match, but also counted as double. Barbados started the match needing to win by a margin of at least two goals to qualify for the final tournament. When Grenada scored late in normal time to bring the scoreline to 2–1, Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to force extra-time, where they could get the two-goal winning margin they needed thanks to the unconventional golden goal rule.[1] This meant that for the last 7 minutes of the match, Grenada was trying to score on either their own goal, or the Barbados goal, as either outcome (either 3–2 or 2–3) would have advanced them to the finals. Ultimately, Barbados was able to prevent Grenada from scoring, obtain the 30-minute time extension, and score the golden goal as hoped.

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

And here's more stuff. At the recent Mods and Quiz Thread Conference in Hokkaido, Tynietraitor and I were discussing the league table wrt the dearth of players in the bottom league. After 16 brandies, he got quite vocal about sticking to three leagues (I think he said something patronising about "the little oiks" like to win something at one point) ... but to even things up, move to leagues of 10,10,10ish . 

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

(Un)interestingly enough, when I was on Countdown, Barry Norman was in dictionary corner and Whiteley took him to task about his catchphrase. Bazza (to his mates) replied that not only was it not his catchphrase, but he'd never actually said it once. So they made him say it. 

It made for great telly, as you can imagine. 

When I was on Countdown absolutely none of that happened and Richard was a twat, while Sian Lloyd had a cracking set of thruppeny bits. We got hammered for free.

I also lost by a point. To a bloody lawyer.

5 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

When I was on Countdown absolutely none of that happened and Richard was a twat, while Sian Lloyd had a cracking set of thruppeny bits. We got hammered for free.

I also lost by a point. To a bloody lawyer.

Ah, I had a different experience. Whiteley was sound (except when he called me a dick), Vorderman was a snooty cow, Barry Norman kept name dropping and Susie Dent was delightful. 

And I lost by 11 points to a woman who worked in a knicker elastic factory. 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

And I lost by 11 points to a woman who worked in a knicker elastic factory. 

A man if your standing should know the p&b rules by now......

On the quiz thing just do what u think is right. You will do what u want anyway so why u asking us minions?

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

A man if your standing should know the p&b rules by now......

On the quiz thing just do what u think is right. You will do what u want anyway so why u asking us minions?

Re: point 1. I know the rules. But it was so long ago, I have no photographs. 

Ha. I take that back ...  God Bless the Internet.

Series46finalists.jpg

Re: point 2. "Where democracy is absent, the illusion of democracy provides sweet succour to the masses."

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nice tits your eminence.

image.png.f14404e896304f8481c2731ea207c687.png

Wid.

Cheers. Never had any complaints. 

Automatic promotion to the top league (after reconstruction ) to any one who can correctly identify me in that line-up. But be warned, automatic relegation to the bottom shop for anyone who gets it wrong. 

@SlipperyP ... this is the kinda play-off shit we need. 

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers. Never had any complaints. 

Automatic promotion to the top league (after reconstruction ) to any one who can correctly identify me in that line-up. But be warned, automatic relegation to the bottom shop for anyone who gets it wrong. 

@SlipperyP ... this is the kinda play-off shit we need. 

image.png.7cd6c71ce7eff8a675a053082306a435.png

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm saying nothing so I can give other people the chance. There's a big prize up for grabs. 

Edit: And just to make it interesting for those guaranteed top-flight status next season already - I'm also offering to go and greenie a handful of your previous posts (I'm calling it a reverse LincolnHearts)

9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Most of those c***s must be on the register.

Agreed. Except one. 

3 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:
11 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:
Agreed. Except one. 

Dennis Norden

Tempted to take that as a guess, but won't be a dick (for once!)

Dennis Norden ... yet another one of those ones you're convinced died a decade ago, yet is still going strong (well, he's still alive, I can't vouch for his bench-pressing prowess). 

29 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Most of those c***s must be on the register.

I was going to say something similar but couldn't land on a plural of One For The Watching that sounded satisfying. Ones For The Watching? One For The Watchings? Eleven  For The Watching (giving Vorderman a pass here)?

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd agree with this. The Cardinal has always struck me as the sort of man whose hairline would be above the middle of the Countdown clock.

1 hour ago, MSU said:

I was going to say something similar but couldn't land on a plural of One For The Watching that sounded satisfying. Ones For The Watching? One For The Watchings? Eleven  For The Watching (giving Vorderman a pass here)?

I'd watch Vorderman for you, if it wasn't for the restraining order. :(

His Eminence is clearly the good looking one, nothing more needs to be said imo.

I'd watch Vorderman for you, if it wasn't for the restraining order. [emoji20]

His Eminence is clearly the good looking one and his best brown v-neck sweater, nothing more needs to be said imo.

FTFY. Relegation impending.