The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Why are questions like that opera one considered more 'valid' (for want of a better word) than a question like 'Name Iron Maiden's third album'?

Very easy one by the way. It's The Number Of The Beast.

Heh, funny you should mention this, because today's monstrosity is all about Shakespeare. Can't see them doing a similar one for Andy McNab or Tom Clancy! I got 2 out of 10 and they were both guesses. http://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2014/apr/23/daily-quiz-23-april-2014

Not sure why "older" questions are considered better. Perhaps it's because you've a greater chance of doing Shakespeare and classic music at school rather than Jeffrey Archer or Iron Maiden. Maybe because it sounds more intelligent. Or maybe simply because "old" stuff is considered better, i.e. some kids in school are still taught that you can't split infinitives. Why? Because it doesn't happen in Latin, which is seen as the "classical" language, despite being completely archaic.

Having said that, it's a good excuse to post this (again) .... the most low-brow question ever asked in a high-brow quiz...

Heh, funny you should mention this, because today's monstrosity is all about Shakespeare. Can't see them doing a similar one for Andy McNab or Tom Clancy! I got 2 out of 10 and they were both guesses. http://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2014/apr/23/daily-quiz-23-april-2014

Not sure why "older" questions are considered better. Perhaps it's because you've a greater chance of doing Shakespeare and classic music at school rather than Jeffrey Archer or Iron Maiden. Maybe because it sounds more intelligent. Or maybe simply because "old" stuff is considered better, i.e. some kids in school are still taught that you can't split infinitives. Why? Because it doesn't happen in Latin, which is seen as the "classical" language, despite being completely archaic.

Having said that, it's a good excuse to post this (again) .... the most low-brow question ever asked in a high-brow quiz...

Good points. Seeing that University Challenge clip has reminded me of my main gripe about the show, i.e. it's mostly upper class trivia and not a reflection on intelligence or really even general knowledge.

Latin can get to f**k. It's obsolete (and before someone points it out, I know we use some Latin words still, like we use words from loads of other lagnuages; was English the first attempt at a 'Univerisal' language? It's done rather better than Esperanto. Fun fact; William Shatner 'starred' in a film in which all lines were done in Esperanto; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7AuyIwN2A).

I managed 2 in the quiz today. That was down to studying Macbeth in Higher English. Never was a Shakespeare fan. Don't actually get the hype either. At the heart of each of his works is a good story (so he was definitely a good storyteller), but the way he writes is intolerable and nonsensical, often using words and entire verses superfluosly. Poetically he has his moments, but it's much like a braw lassie ridden with acne in that the beauty of his work is hidden under layers of crap.

Edited by DA Baracus

Good points. Seeing that University Challenge clip has reminded me of my main gripe about the show, i.e. it's mostly upper class trivia and not a reflection on intelligence or really even general knowledge.

Latin can get to f**k. It's obsolete (and before someone points it out, I know we use some Latin words still, like we use words from loads of other lagnuages; was English the first attempt at a 'Univerisal' language? It's done rather better than Esperanto. Fun fact; William Shatner 'starred' in a film in which all lines were done in Esperanto; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7AuyIwN2A).

I managed 2 in the quiz today. That was down to studying Macbeth in Higher English. Never was a Shakespeare fan. Don't actually get the hype either. At the heart of each of his works is a good story (so he was definitely a good storyteller), but the way he writes is intolerable and nonsensical, often using words and entire verses superfluosly. Poetically he has his moments, but it's much like a braw lassie ridden with acne in that the beauty of his work is hidden under layers of crap.

My dad was very much a Latin (and Greek) fan. He was raging I wasn't allowed to do it for GCSE (I'd have preferred it to Religious Studies to be honest). There's no doubt that it can help you (a bit) to learn related languages such as Spanish or French. But the time learning Latin would be better spent simply learning Spanish or French. Thankfully, we're moving away from a world where you have to know Latin to be a lawyer or doctor.

That film looks atrocious btw. :lol:

My dad was very much a Latin (and Greek) fan. He was raging I wasn't allowed to do it for GCSE (I'd have preferred it to Religious Studies to be honest). There's no doubt that it can help you (a bit) to learn related languages such as Spanish or French. But the time learning Latin would be better spent simply learning Spanish or French. Thankfully, we're moving away from a world where you have to know Latin to be a lawyer or doctor.

That film looks atrocious btw. :lol:

I've never actually seen that film. Will have to do so some day, if only for the laughter.