The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

19 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Twas the Australian. In fact, we only had the Guardian for a few months before they canned it. To be fair, I'm pretty happy with the Quizoftheday ... even though their questions range from the ridiculously easy to the completely obscure. 

Oh, and on the topic of the Guardian quiz ... as I was raking through this thread, I came across possibly the finest quiz to be found on the Internet. 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/quiz/2014/apr/04/daily-quiz-4-april-2014

10/10 🎓

7 for that quiz. How did you get get 20 on the chess? Pass and submit?

Guest Moomintroll
Not true. Of the current P+B quiz league alumni, 8MilBU, Moomintroll, Snobot, Nkomo-A-Gogo and Blootoon87 also have nothing to show for their efforts. 
You are, however, the only founding member of the P+B quiz league never to have won any gold, silver or bronzeware, which is why it takes me such great pleasure to award you with this keychain to commemorate your achievement. 
il_340x270.1944259028_c3eo.jpg&key=8c0f0a37e28c7d3701f2690a98718c1a3740b012807bfaa49dfe8ca8be7d862c
Aye, thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

7 for that quiz. How did you get get 20 on the chess? Pass and submit?

Every pawn can move 1 or 2 squares. Each knight can move to one of two places. That makes 20 (I hope - otherwise I may be the reason The Grauniad discontinued their daily quiz). 

And 8 out of 10 for today. Happy enough with that. 

22 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Re: a wooden spoon. P+B Quiz League historians back in the early days of the league (2016 - what a heady time that was), we actually doled out black stars for finishing bottom. I think we discontinued the practice as it was a bit off-putting to teams thinking of joining the league. 

image.thumb.png.ea6fe881331a09e8f70db56b10e0ab78.png

Sad to think that of the 21 teams shown in the league above, only 8 still participate in the league. GBNF. 

Are you including me, as I changed my name from dayman?

Not like Rangers , as as far as I am aware, I never died. Although I have spent a large chunk of time away from the top league, and won f**k all.

Sidenote, isn't English fucked up? I'm pretty sure my post is grammatically correct, yet "as as far as" just sounds weird. 

Are you including me, as I changed my name from dayman?

Not like Rangers , as as far as I am aware, I never died. Although I have spent a large chunk of time away from the top league, and won f**k all.

Sidenote, isn't English fucked up? I'm pretty sure my post is grammatically correct, yet "as as far as" just sounds weird. 

Just needs another comma. “Not like Rangers, as, as far as I am aware I never died.” A good reminder that Rangers did die though.

ETA: Frustrating 5 to start the week.

37 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Every pawn can move 1 or 2 squares. Each knight can move to one of two places. That makes 20 (I hope - otherwise I may be the reason The Grauniad discontinued their daily quiz). 

And 8 out of 10 for today. Happy enough with that. 

I meticulously counted all the moves, feeling smug that I knew the knights could move left and right. I got 18, clicked that number, and realised when the answers came up that there was no 18, I had actually clicked 16, and I had only counted 1 knight. Top class quizzing.

8 for Monday. Scandinavia and The Portrait of a Lady.

One of these quizzes where I feared a dreadful score, numerous guesses without much info to narrow down options, and then i get 9/10 having successfully talked myself out of the right answer for Duran Duran.  Getting Bond wrong again