The All New Occasionally Aussie P+B Quiz League and ☕ Occasional Cup ☕

Finland is a Nordic country but not Scandinavian since Swedish rule ended in 1809.

Surely the bit of Finland at the north-west sandwiched between Sweden and Norway is part of the Scandinavian peninsula and so it's Scandinavian?

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Surely the bit of Finland at the north-west sandwiched between Sweden and Norway is part of the Scandinavian peninsula and so it's Scandinavian?

Part of the term Scandinavian involves sharing a nearly identical language. Finnish is utterly different.

1 minute ago, Eednud said:

Isn't Swedish still one of the official languages of Finland?

Yes, but only 5% use it. Scandinavia is more of a cultural term than strictly geographical. The Scandinavian countries share a Viking heritage as well as written history and folklore, Finland was never part of that. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, but only 5% use it. Scandinavia is more of a cultural term than strictly geographical. The Scandinavian countries share a Viking heritage as well as written history and folklore, Finland was never part of that. 

Language wise Finnish is pretty different too. I work with some Finnish guys who say a lot of people resent Swedish being one of the official Languages. Road signs are in both languages. Finnish is a mad language. One of the Uralic languages.

This link is cracking for a breakdown of European languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_language_families#/media/File:Languages_of_Europe.svg

2 minutes ago, serbo99 said:

Hi, I'd like to join, apologies. Just noticed this thread. Looks fun (or frustrating.....)

No worries! It is both fun and frustrating... if you want to take the rest of the quizzes for Mon-Thu this week, I'll add you to the league table. A new quiz gets posted every week day (although we're having a week off at the end of December) and we also will have a cup competition that takes place over the weekends in January. 

8 minutes ago, Leeds Saint said:

Your Eminence, the horse racing question has 2 of the triple crown in the answers

Aye, sorry about that. That was a result of planning to have it as a NOT question, then changing my mind. I've corrected it now. Hopefully it won't have a bearing on the results!

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Still a few results to come in the league so no updates to the trophy cabinet yet.

In the Premier League, WRK is hot-favourite to win another title, unless Alang1993 sobers up and posts a monster score. Down at the bottom, not quite sure what to do about Deej. I know he's busy with exams, and is struggling even with simple addition at the moment, but I guess rules is rules and he gets relegated if he doesn't post his scores!

They are all done now, and now I can focus on the stuff that really matters in life - the P&B daily Aussie quiz

Thursday 9/10

Friday 5/10

Hopefully enough to stave off relegation

My Swedish ex is adamant that Finland isn't part of Scandinavia - and having worked with a bunch of Swedish-speaking Finns a few years back they'd agree.  BTW complaining about pedantry on a quiz thread?  Tsk tsk.

As for Friday's score....a Sevcoing 4/10.  I won't talk too much about my answer to the 'loquacious' question...

Edited by The_Kincardine