SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Anyone got any advice for older dogs with back leg(s) issues

Mines is 13 now, and his back right leg isnt the best, ive got a vets appointment coming up but he absolutely hates vets and strangers coming near him so the vets is a nightmare, i know i need to lose him some weight and ive started getting him omega 3 foods like sardines etc, also has joint supplements

Is there anything anyone has used and worked a treat for pain relief etc, he's fine most times apart from when he stands up or lies down it takes him a wee bit longer, going up and down the stairs in the house we've restricted him to going downstairs in morning then back up at nighttime with us

Ita absolutely gut wrenching to see him like this as he's pretty normal every other way, the other night he was still wanting to play with his tug of war and still wants to be daft when we hoover etc, just the thought that he's on the way out is killing me 

Any help/advice is appreciated 

25 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Mines is 13 now, and his back right leg isnt the best, ive got a vets appointment coming up but he absolutely hates vets and strangers coming near him so the vets is a nightmare, i know i need to lose him some weight and ive started getting him omega 3 foods like sardines etc, also has joint supplements

Is there anything anyone has used and worked a treat for pain relief etc, he's fine most times apart from when he stands up or lies down it takes him a wee bit longer, going up and down the stairs in the house we've restricted him to going downstairs in morning then back up at nighttime with us

Ita absolutely gut wrenching to see him like this as he's pretty normal every other way, the other night he was still wanting to play with his tug of war and still wants to be daft when we hoover etc, just the thought that he's on the way out is killing me 

Its hard to watch, I agree. Doubt though that there's much the vet will be able to do, he's just getting on becoming an old man.

I haven't used it but a pal of mine swears by CBD oil for his old dog....

21 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Its hard to watch, I agree. Doubt though that there's much the vet will be able to do, he's just getting on becoming an old man.

I haven't used it but a pal of mine swears by CBD oil for his old dog....

Cheers, never even gave that a thought about CBD oil, defo worth a shot, I'll try anything the now tbh

Can you not use metacam when their legs start to go like that? My dad's dog got hit by a car and is on metacam for the rest of her days now. You wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her though.

I've also used it for my own dog when he had a mysterious limp that wouldn't go away. It worked within days if I remember correctly.

On 20/11/2022 at 22:28, John Lambies Doos said:
On 20/11/2022 at 20:40, RH33 said:
Working cocker?

Cross between a working cocker and collie

On 21/11/2022 at 00:58, RH33 said:

Oft, 1780mph then as standard.

Wee Sprocket is a cross between a working Springer and a Cocker.

Non stop... all day... every day.

20220607_195335.thumb.jpg.cc2db873f41eda08ac010b4b503e4e05.jpg

On 22/11/2022 at 11:50, 54_and_counting said:

CBD oil seemed to help our Jake when he had his cancer.

I see all these "holistic" things recommended but struggle to put 100% of my trust in them unless we've used them ourselves. The only thing we got that definately worked for us was some oil that we got Skye for her dry skin and the cbd oil for Jake. 

Second the suggestion for metacam from the vet. 

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

CBD oil seemed to help our Jake when he had his cancer.

I see all these "holistic" things recommended but struggle to put 100% of my trust in them unless we've used them ourselves. The only thing we got that definately worked for us was some oil that we got Skye for her dry skin and the cbd oil for Jake. 

Second the suggestion for metacam from the vet. 

Thanks mate, I'll speak to vet about metacam since its a prescription one, and I'll try any over the counter ones people have had success with 

He been much better yesterday and today, doesnt look as shaky on his leg but were restricting his activity etc, hoping in long term his new diet, bit of weight loss and keeping him away from stairs often will give him a new lease of life

One good thing is that he's never been shy about taking tablets in his food, big greedy b*****d scoffs anything lol

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

One good thing is that he's never been shy about taking tablets in his food, big greedy b*****d scoffs anything lol

Morse is the same. I'm reasonably sure I could just put some pills in a bowl on their own, put it down and he'd eat them.