SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

On 07/02/2022 at 23:28, Shandon Par said:

Out for a run early yesterday with Renton. He spotted a family of hares and set off after them. Locked on to one and chase it round a huge field. The high speed pursuit then crossed to a different field, towards a farm in the distance, out of sight over a hill. No sign of hound. He usually comes back after 30 seconds or so of chasing but no sign. Then a gunshot from the direction of the farm and I was sure it was bad news. The hare returned, a buzzard circled but no dog. In shock I trudged home to drive up to the farm. 

Got home and told Mrs I didn’t think Renton was coming home. Even if he’s ever got lost he finds me in no time as he runs so fast and knows all the routes around the fields and woods. We were heartbroken.

Hide contents

Half an hour or so later we heard a bark outside and a very knackered and muddy Renton was at the front door. 

7379AAF0-2A36-4552-997D-4540C06E2EF1.jpeg

Quite hard going reading this. Glad he returned home.

Question however. Had dog for nearly 9 months and on lead is fine. Take him to this place once a week where we can take him off his lead n he can run about. Great as he cant escape. However I wanna let him off lead in big parks / fields / wooded areas etc. When or is there ever a right time ... as the fear is once he is off lead will he come back ha. He can come back when in the garden and playing with ball etc . Just yeah feel if he got distracted he would be off 

On 12/02/2022 at 11:46, Robin.Hood said:

Question however. Had dog for nearly 9 months and on lead is fine. Take him to this place once a week where we can take him off his lead n he can run about. Great as he cant escape. However I wanna let him off lead in big parks / fields / wooded areas etc. When or is there ever a right time ... as the fear is once he is off lead will he come back ha. He can come back when in the garden and playing with ball etc . Just yeah feel if he got distracted he would be off 

Work on recall with treats and toys, then build up the area in which you let him off. No hard and fast rule .

On 12/02/2022 at 11:46, Robin.Hood said:

Like Mathematics says, treats and small steps. Even just practice indoors. Treats can be the big incentive and s command that’s not their name. With Renton I usually just clap, whistle or making a clicking sound or say “oi”. Can end up giving some granny a heart attack if I shout on him so wee sharp noises work well just to get his attention. Tiny bit really tasty treats. Olives worked for Renton but maybe wee dog treats or bits of meat. Training classes are probably a good idea or look on YouTube for ideas too. 

I don’t let him off where folk are having picnics or by busy roads. Toys they can chase/bring back are maybe a good way to build your confidence too. 

Hey PnB, I'm Piper! I'm 10 weeks old and my dad says my teeth are sharp as anything!!

Picked this wee one up yesterday! Bundle of energy and bar a few wee accidents seems to be settling in alright. Will no doubt be asking all types of advice going forward!!bd8f185f4be2648023db0ddba2fbb8a8.jpg
Hi, Piper! Welcome aboard.

@Chicken wing, keep a very close eye on your shoes - those teeth will be getting exercised alright, at least for a couple of months.

43 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

Hey PnB, I'm Piper! I'm 10 weeks old and my dad says my teeth are sharp as anything!!

Picked this wee one up yesterday! Bundle of energy and bar a few wee accidents seems to be settling in alright. Will no doubt be asking all types of advice going forward!!bd8f185f4be2648023db0ddba2fbb8a8.jpg

Gorgeous.  Unfortunately I had to put my 12 year old Springer Spaniel down yesterday. She was such a people dog. Loved everybody.

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3

1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:

Long haired German shepherd.  You're going to need a bigger hoover.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Long haired German shepherd.  You're going to need a bigger hoover.

Very much this!!

that couple of times a year when its full on shedding season, be prepared to find MASSIVE balls of hair, EVERYWHERE!

We've had Dysons, G-Tech Air Rams, Kirby hoovers and the best one for the long dog hair is the good old Henry!