SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

10 hours ago, Left Back said:

Dunno how deep that water is.  My boy wouldn’t care.  Any water he sees is a challenge to get into it.  Seas, lochs, rivers, puddles, paddling pools.  Makes no difference to him.

Not particularly deep. And not particularly watery either. Something akin to oxtail soup after he’d stirred up the silt. 

And because I’m such a conscientious dog owner, the previous day I’d taken his towels out the car and washed them. And of course that meant I had none in the car to deal with this….. 

Out for a run early yesterday with Renton. He spotted a family of hares and set off after them. Locked on to one and chase it round a huge field. The high speed pursuit then crossed to a different field, towards a farm in the distance, out of sight over a hill. No sign of hound. He usually comes back after 30 seconds or so of chasing but no sign. Then a gunshot from the direction of the farm and I was sure it was bad news. The hare returned, a buzzard circled but no dog. In shock I trudged home to drive up to the farm. 

Got home and told Mrs I didn’t think Renton was coming home. Even if he’s ever got lost he finds me in no time as he runs so fast and knows all the routes around the fields and woods. We were heartbroken.

Spoiler

Half an hour or so later we heard a bark outside and a very knackered and muddy Renton was at the front door. 

7379AAF0-2A36-4552-997D-4540C06E2EF1.jpeg

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Out for a run early yesterday with Renton. He spotted a family of hares and set off after them. Locked on to one and chase it round a huge field. The high speed pursuit then crossed to a different field, towards a farm in the distance, out of sight over a hill. No sign of hound. He usually comes back after 30 seconds or so of chasing but no sign. Then a gunshot from the direction of the farm and I was sure it was bad news. The hare returned, a buzzard circled but no dog. In shock I trudged home to drive up to the farm. 

Got home and told Mrs I didn’t think Renton was coming home. Even if he’s ever got lost he finds me in no time as he runs so fast and knows all the routes around the fields and woods. We were heartbroken.

Hide contents

Half an hour or so later we heard a bark outside and a very knackered and muddy Renton was at the front door. 

Jesus Christ Renton!

14 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Hide contents

Renton!

It's a rotten feeling, isn't it @Shandon Par?

One of ours got herself lost in the woods during a winter walk a few years back. She had a habit of making her way back to the car when we got separated but after I hiked all the way back, there was no sign of her there. Up the trail again and down and up for about 2 hours. Eventually, I went to the place I'd last seen her, hung my coat on a low branch and had a whiz next to it. One more trip down the hill, and when I came back the next time, there the daft pudding was, just waiting for me to show up. Lost dog stories frequently don't have happy endings here in the mountains, especially in winter and like you, I'd resigned myself to not seeing her again. I'm not sure who was happier to see who when we finally met back up.

140.jpg

Skye is looking forward to the Easter holidays when she will hopefully be accompanying me on parts of the West Highland way.

We had this booked for 2020 when she was 10 and I figured she'd still be able to complete the entire thing if we were sensible but due to Covid and OH's work being dicks we've had to call it off 3 times.

Fingers crossed nothing weird happens between now and then.

20220211_160713.jpg