SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

We're in planning for a new dog after the passing of our old pal last year. Theres a massive gap in the home without a k9 pal.
Me and the kids are pestering my wife. She's starting to crumble a bit and is more responsive to the idea. I know the market for pups is crazy and there's alot of unscrupulous people out there. Where do you even start looking?
We're looking for a miniature daschhund (that's the one the wife is most receptive to). I'm wanting more of a real dog I can walk up the hills like a cocker spaniel or a border terrier...even a cockapoo would suffice. 
Have a look on the rehoming website like the SSPCA they always have a selection of different dogs hopefully you'll find one that suits both you and your partner.

Just now, Empty It said:
4 minutes ago, the snudge said:
We're in planning for a new dog after the passing of our old pal last year. Theres a massive gap in the home without a k9 pal.
Me and the kids are pestering my wife. She's starting to crumble a bit and is more responsive to the idea. I know the market for pups is crazy and there's alot of unscrupulous people out there. Where do you even start looking?
We're looking for a miniature daschhund (that's the one the wife is most receptive to). I'm wanting more of a real dog I can walk up the hills like a cocker spaniel or a border terrier...even a cockapoo would suffice. 

Have a look on the rehoming website like the SSPCA they always have a selection of different dogs hopefully you'll find one that suits both you and your partner.

Thatd be my first choice and I have been checking them out but they always seem to be looking for homes with older children (mines are 4 and 9) and it rules us out.

24 minutes ago, the snudge said:

What about a working cocker, slightly less stupid than a cocker!

23 minutes ago, RH33 said:

What about a working cocker, slightly less stupid than a cocker!

I've had a working field cocker before. Great wee dug. The Mrs probably would draw the line because they can stink but I'd definitely get one. If it was up to me I'd have a pack of them but I'm not the boss so me and the kids are drip feeding the idea of a dog. The suggestion of a full blown mental working cocker would be shot down right away.

47 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I've had a working field cocker before. Great wee dug. The Mrs probably would draw the line because they can stink but I'd definitely get one. If it was up to me I'd have a pack of them but I'm not the boss so me and the kids are drip feeding the idea of a dog. The suggestion of a full blown mental working cocker would be shot down right away.

My sister's just got one and he's apparently pretty smart.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Kennel Club website is usually a good start if you’re after a pedigree pup. It also publishes guide prices so you have half an idea as to what you should be paying. Most reputable breeders will be within those parameters but if you’re being offered a pup wildly outside those I’d suggest walking on to the next one. 

2 hours ago, the snudge said:

As @mathematics, Im sure will agree, if you're looking for a small dog but one that'll walk fair distance a shout out for Miniture Schnauzers. Ours was fabulous when our son was little. Sadly my daughter was in and out of hospital as a baby and in end had re-home them (we had a rescue part collie who was similar size).

If you’re wanting a dog with stamina for long walks and good with kids have you thought about a Bernese Mountain Dog?  Pretty laid back too.

Some of the hound types like Visla’s, Weimerana’s (sod spelling that) and pointers have the stamina but might be a bit full on mental for your missus.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If you’re wanting a dog with stamina for long walks and good with kids have you thought about a Bernese Mountain Dog?  Pretty laid back too.

Some of the hound types like Visla’s, Weimerana’s (sod spelling that) and pointers have the stamina but might be a bit full on mental for your missus.

My uncle has one of these, he is lovley but even at 6/7 he's having joint issues and life expectancy is only about 9.

45 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Another dog that is good for walking as far as you want that are also good with kids are Collies.

They're absolute screwball though. The amount of Collies that try to attack passing cars is quite something. 

They're absolute screwball though. The amount of Collies that try to attack passing cars is quite something. 
Most Collies I meet tend to be very well behaved but maybe that's just compared to my dog who's trying to chase cars.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Most Collies I meet tend to be very well behaved but maybe that's just compared to my dog who's trying to chase cars.

They’re known for it.  Anything with wheels is usually fair game for a collie.

Just now, Empty It said:
6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

A guy I used to work with had to basically get a road shut off after his started chasing a bus, then a car in the opposite direction etc. He was lucky the dog wasn't mangled by a car and that it was fairly close to a police station so the reaction was quick. It was the first I'd ever known of it being a thing and since then I've seen it loads, last time being today whilst driving through Tealing and a guy had to brace and hold his dog as it went mad at me driving by, ha! 

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:
16 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Trying to stop my Shep doing this at the moment.  Cars, bikes, the works.

Was advised by a dog trainer the best thing for desensitising them to moving objects is a wheelbarrow because it’s silent.

I got a wheelbarrow for Christmas 😂

For my tuppenceworth, Collies are proper working dogs.

10hrs a day on the go working with you and they’re an absolute dream. 10hrs cooped up in the house while you’re working on your laptop, they’re stuck in their own worst nightmare. 

Before deciding on a dog there’s a real requirement for an honest conversation on lifestyle and the breed and how that fits in with you - generally a dog will only tinker with the margins; if you’re stuck on the couch now, you’ll still be stuck on the couch but with an extra couple of 1/2hr stints of grudged fresh air in between. Not a win for anyone. 

Sorry, now dismounting my high horse!! 

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

For my tuppenceworth, Collies are proper working dogs.

10hrs a day on the go working with you and they’re an absolute dream. 10hrs cooped up in the house while you’re working on your laptop, they’re stuck in their own worst nightmare. 

Before deciding on a dog there’s a real requirement for an honest conversation on lifestyle and the breed and how that fits in with you - generally a dog will only tinker with the margins; if you’re stuck on the couch now, you’ll still be stuck on the couch but with an extra couple of 1/2hr stints of grudged fresh air in between. Not a win for anyone. 

Sorry, now dismounting my high horse!! 

As are labs, seen as great family dogs but so many are over fed. They're working dogs that need a lot of walking.

We had a rescue collie, we reckon a farmer dumped him, on account of him jumping into the field and having a snooze while the sheep grazed around him! Crofter didn't mind as he also chased crowd when the lambs were little. 

Been a while since I posted so a little update on Archie.

He was here for Christmas which we honestly didn't think would happen. Hes going from strength to strength and has had no issues with the daily Chemo dose.

Its his birthday on the 11th and he's going to get spoiled rotten again! 

Being down a leg hasn't bothered him and he's now running up and down the stairs and even jumped back up on the couch which was genuinely heart warming for us.

Just got to enjoy him while he's here but keep telling myself he's certainly not cured and still has cancer. Blood test Tuesday to see how his bone marrow etc is doing then a scan in 6 - 8 weeks for what may be really horrible news but needs to he done.

Anyway, hope you all had a good Christmas with your four (or three) legged beasties!

And while typing this he just threw up on the floor!

18 minutes ago, RH33 said:

As are labs, seen as great family dogs but so many are over fed. They're working dogs that need a lot of walking.

We had a rescue collie, we reckon a farmer dumped him, on account of him jumping into the field and having a snooze while the sheep grazed around him! Crofter didn't mind as he also chased crowd when the lambs were little. 

I have a lab (not overfed).  He’s the most chilled lazy dog I’ve ever had.

Half hour walk or 20 minutes with the frisbee and he’s done.

I think mine is defective right enough.