SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Glad Skye’s OK @Rizzo  I had a similar experience a few years back when I was running with our husky mix and 2 Rottweilers went for her. One on her neck the other on her rump and they were out for the kill. Her thick coat saved her from the worst of it, which was good because me kicking them (wearing running shoes) was having no effect.  Finally the owner arrived and called them off but even so, she had numerous puncture wounds. The vet fixed her up but she lost all her joy of life and was never the same dog afterwards. 

A neighbour saw the whole thing and told me the owner had previous for this and had a legal case pending from when his dogs had ripped a young girl’s wee dog to pieces. We filed charges and went to court but because his dogs hadn’t bitten ME, the judge didn’t give a f**k. He was ordered to compensate me for the vet bill and that was it. And it took him almost a year to do that. Yep, still angry.  

Anyway, best wishes to Skye and Morse. (and you)

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Glad Skye’s OK @Rizzo  I had a similar experience a few years back when I was running with our husky mix and 2 Rottweilers went for her. One on her neck the other on her rump and they were out for the kill. Her thick coat saved her from the worst of it, which was good because me kicking them (wearing running shoes) was having no effect.  Finally the owner arrived and called them off but even so, she had numerous puncture wounds. The vet fixed her up but she lost all her joy of life and was never the same dog afterwards. 

A neighbour saw the whole thing and told me the owner had previous for this and had a legal case pending from when his dogs had ripped a young girl’s wee dog to pieces. We filed charges and went to court but because his dogs hadn’t bitten ME, the judge didn’t give a f**k. He was ordered to compensate me for the vet bill and that was it. And it took him almost a year to do that. Yep, still angry.  

Anyway, best wishes to Skye and Morse. (and you)

Aye, I think if there had been any proper aggression shown we'd have called the local plod and reported it. Most of the dogs round here are well behaved and the ones that aren't are kept close to their owners 99.9% of the time.

What a shame for your poor girl though, no wonder she was terrified after that ordeal.

Aye, I think if there had been any proper aggression shown we'd have called the local plod and reported it. Most of the dogs round here are well behaved and the ones that aren't are kept close to their owners 99.9% of the time.
What a shame for your poor girl though, no wonder she was terrified after that ordeal.
The thing that gets me is if Skye acted defensively because those two dogs ambushed her whilst she was on the league it would be "Vicious dog attacks two innocent dogs on walk"

I honestly believe there should be some kind of test to see if people are capable of owning and understanding a dog, I've become so perceptive to the type of dog owner that can't recognise potential flash points.

I know he divides opinion but Caesar Milan is spot on when he says he trains people not dogs.

I honestly believe there should be some kind of test to see if people are capable of owning and understanding a dog, I've become so perceptive to the type of dog owner that can't recognise potential flash points.
I know he divides opinion but Caesar Milan is spot on when he says he trains people not dogs.
A woman in the village I stay in bought a puppy a few years ago, it used to just run riot never on a lead, no training and guess what? After less than a year the dog was run over and died. Can imagine our face when the stupid cow walked into the pub not long after with a new puppy who is also never on lead.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

The thing that gets me is if Skye acted defensively because those two dogs ambushed her whilst she was on the league it would be "Vicious dog attacks two innocent dogs on walk"

Skye was off her lead (she's off 99% of the time) but she just pootles along the path and doesn't approach anyone unless they actually bend down and speak to her. We always call her to heel when we see folk coming anyway. She's a pretty low-maintenance dug as far as walkies are concerned.

There was a big stooshy on one of the local Facebook groups last year when someone had their little lap dog ripped to shreds by two greyhounds and was doing their best to start a witch hunt after they'd received no help from the police. Later it came out that the wee lap dog had run off and was jumping up and attacking the two greyhounds who were on leads and with their owner (who couldn't really do anything as she'd have had to drop the leads). 

Eventually one of them got a hold of the wee dog and the rest was a foregone conclusion.

We got told when we adopted my first dog that, if she got into any mischief when she was off-lead, she was in danger of being labelled "dangerously out of control" or something similar. The law pretty much labels dogs which are on a lead as under control even if they're aggressive and very little gets done with isolated dog vs dog incidents.

Edited by Rizzo

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

By far, owners are the problem. 

Whilst a dog is man's best friend, man is not always a dog's best friend. 

I have kept dogs for many years and even done the dog show bit. Now have a Rotty and two Boxers all aged three and all bitches. 

All trained on command to a tee, but can never let them off the lead in public. They would never attack unless attacked and I know the consequences of any that does. They have been attacked on the lead on occasion by other dogs off their lead, but I don't worry and just let them defend themselves and step in when I see enough. 

Can't remember an owner ever apologising for their dogs behavior and some even blaming mine for the mauling their attack dogs got. I have every sympathy for the dogs but absolutely none for the owner. 

When an aggressive attack dog gets a bloody nose, it learns that there is a pecking order and that it ain't the top of the pile. Might even do the owner some good, but I doubt that.