SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

7 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Jake had a couple of bad days when he began his chemo as well. If you're going to the vet school they should be able to either adjust his dose or prescribe something to manage he side effects. We wound up just giving Jake whatever he would eat to get food into him at times whether that was wet dog food (a novelty for him) or cooked.

Yeah, I ended up I going to my regular vet up here in Dundee today and they gave him an anti nausea injection and some antibiotics but its been 4 or 5 hours and hes just as lethargic, however hes drinking now and managing to keep that down. Hes not interested in eating and hasn't eaten since Thursday tea time, will just hope its a 48 hour dip after the chemo and see what he's like in the morning.

Just heard (thump, dog yelping, over a wee hill so didn't witness it thankfully) a hit and run on a dog on my walk, thankfully the dog seems relatively fine ( tail wagging, alert, making noises) but nobody got the reg number. 

Shite how that won't be treated as hugely serious if anyone went to the police now.

Just heard (thump, dog yelping, over a wee hill so didn't witness it thankfully) a hit and run on a dog on my walk, thankfully the dog seems relatively fine ( tail wagging, alert, making noises) but nobody got the reg number. 
Shite how that won't be treated as hugely serious if anyone went to the police now.
Hope the dog is okay, the person in the car is lowest level of scum but don't understand why people have their dogs off lead so close to a road if the dog wanders.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Agree. Im always of the belief that if someone could do that to a dog or cat then there's a fair argument they would do similar with a human.

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

I’d do it to a human before I’d do it to a dog.

I've got a list of humans id like to do it to tbh.

Also, day 3 of no food for Archie. Still drinking but all I've managed is forcing about a quarter of a slice of ham into his gob till he swallowed it, same with the anti nausea and antibiotics (Which he threw up about an hour later, hope enough was absorbed by then).

Hes been sick a couple times and we've still got projectile watery stuff from his back end too. 

I'm apprehensive of taking him to out of hours as they made a total balls up the last time I took him there. My normal vet ended up having to give him antibiotics etc to help with stress induced collitis from the incorrect dose and kind of pain killers the out of hours gave him. They also gave me a £600 (yip, £600 for two injections and a nearly 15 minuite consultation. And thats including the paperwork) bill for the pleasure.

Don't mean to railroad the topic to he all about my dog - and sorry if I've done so - its not been my intention. Just need to vent.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I've got a list of humans id like to do it to tbh.

Also, day 3 of no food for Archie. Still drinking but all I've managed is forcing about a quarter of a slice of ham into his gob till he swallowed it, same with the anti nausea and antibiotics (Which he threw up about an hour later, hope enough was absorbed by then).

Hes been sick a couple times and we've still got projectile watery stuff from his back end too. 

I'm apprehensive of taking him to out of hours as they made a total balls up the last time I took him there. My normal vet ended up having to give him antibiotics etc to help with stress induced collitis from the incorrect dose and kind of pain killers the out of hours gave him. They also gave me a £600 (yip, £600 for two injections and a nearly 15 minuite consultation. And thats including the paperwork) bill for the pleasure.

Don't mean to railroad the topic to he all about my dog - and sorry if I've done so - its not been my intention. Just need to vent.

If you have a raw dog food shop near you it'd be worth buying something called bone broth.

It's like a stock made from animal bones but contains a lot of nutrients and dogs tend to love the taste of it. Its also not "heavy" so he might be more open to taking it.

You can make your own if you have a slow cooker but it takes 48 hours or so to make. It's made by cooking some bones in water and apple cider vinegar to draw all the goodness out so it's not a proper raw food.

I think we had a couple of days where we had to blend some wet dog food up with goats milk and bone broth and syringe it to Jake but he was fine afterward. 

Really hope he decides to start eating again for you. I feel like I'm maybe not being the most helpful by suggesting weird stuff that's not wildly available but it did work well for our boy. If you really fancied trying anything I'm off work now so could try to get you some if you wanted to try anything.

Edited by Rizzo

26 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Vent away @mishtergrolsch! That’s what we’re here for.

👍thanks maths!

7 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

If you have a raw dog food shop near you it'd be worth buying something called bone broth.

It's like a stock made from animal bones but contains a lot of nutrients and dogs tend to love the taste of it. Its also not "heavy" so he might be more open to taking it.

You can make your own if you have a slow cooker but it takes 48 hours or so to make. It's made by cooking some bones in water and apple cider vinegar to draw all the goodness out so it's not a proper raw food.

I think we had a couple of days where we had to blend some wet dog food up with goats milk and bone broth and syringe it to Jake but he was fine afterward. 

Really hope he decides to start eating again for you. I feel like I'm maybe not being the most helpful by suggesting weird stuff that's not wildly available but it did work well for our boy. If you really fancied trying anything I'm off work now so could try to get you some if you wanted to try anything.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start making my own broth after this episode has settled down.

I've got some raw food in the freezer along with bone broth and hes not gone for either. Also have an electrolyte drink the vet gave me which, of course, he hates! 

I've caved in to anxiety and I've got him at the out of hours vets right now. Waiting on the vet calling me after having a look at him. Just dosent look right to me and I'm concerned hes got an infection, hence the projectile poop, and the chemo will make that a bigger issue.

17 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

👍thanks maths!

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start making my own broth after this episode has settled down.

I've got some raw food in the freezer along with bone broth and hes not gone for either. Also have an electrolyte drink the vet gave me which, of course, he hates! 

I've caved in to anxiety and I've got him at the out of hours vets right now. Waiting on the vet calling me after having a look at him. Just dosent look right to me and I'm concerned hes got an infection, hence the projectile poop, and the chemo will make that a bigger issue.

Fingers crossed for the boi!

2 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Fingers crossed for the boi!

Thanks @Rizzo

Back home with the boi now. Blood count is low but expected under the circumstances. Everything else is fine and hes in good condition.  

So another anti nausea injection and some other anti nausea tablets and some prayers that he does actually eat something when he wakes up from the nap hes been wanting to take for the past 2 days. 

Poor wee fucker is knackered and I'm really struggling to justify the chemo but I'm so conflicted about stopping it.

Will phone the Dick Vet tomorrow and have a chat with them. 

Shite state of affairs really but a sincere thanks to all you for the support. Its made a difference 🦊 

The Mrs and I caved and got a pizza for tea. Archie perked up a fair bit from his nap so I gave him a bit of crust. Didn't eat it but looked really alert and interested.

The Mrs disappeared into the kitchen and brought through a bowl with a some oatmilk that he tentatively drank. So hes had a few tiny bits of crust soaked in oat milk now too but that was with a fight.

Really need him to eat some solids to help dry his leaky arse up!!

6 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The Mrs and I caved and got a pizza for tea. Archie perked up a fair bit from his nap so I gave him a bit of crust. Didn't eat it but looked really alert and interested.

The Mrs disappeared into the kitchen and brought through a bowl with a some oatmilk that he tentatively drank. So hes had a few tiny bits of crust soaked in oat milk now too but that was with a fight.

Not sure what vet told you but plain boiled rice and/or scrambled eggs can be good for sick dogs (and restore solidity!). Hope you’re doing okay. 

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Try small portions of beef/chicken baby food to see if it helps get his appetite back

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Not sure what vet told you but plain boiled rice and/or scrambled eggs can be good for sick dogs (and restore solidity!). Hope you’re doing okay. 

Thanks man, doing a bit better this morning, no projectiles overnight and no leaks (from the dog, not me) so I'm happy with that.

And thats exactly the kind of food ill be giving / forcing him to eat and see what I get!

7 hours ago, aaa said:

Try small portions of beef/chicken baby food to see if it helps get his appetite back

Hmm, never thought of that - will try that and see how he gets on. Thanks.

Appetite coming back slowly, hes had a good few handfuls of chicken and some cows milk through the day. Cooking some brown rice for him to go with his chicken, will see how it goes down.

He's literally leaking green shite and I've had to stick him in the dog shower (yes, I fitted a dog shower into our utility room, f**k you) about 8 or 9 times since 4 o'clock this afternoon. 

Hes more like himself but its genuinely gruelling and I seriously hope he improves tomorrow.