SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

18 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

100% guaranteed it'll not just be me confused AF thinking that you've got a lab in a field as wallpaper. :lol:

16 hours ago, RH33 said:

Me too!

Not me. I thought the couch was outside. 😄

12 hours ago, Funkee said:

I judge people by how they treat their pets or any animal and just for starters... Rosie is just gorgeous!  

They all are and I'm sitting here with a cheesy grin.  Damn you all!!!!

I had to get my dog put to sleep just recently (f**k cancer), and along with WeRateDogs on twitter, this thread is my favourite place on the internet. 👍

11 hours ago, s_dog said:

I had to get my dog put to sleep just recently (f**k cancer), and along with WeRateDogs on twitter, this thread is my favourite place on the internet. 👍

Sorry to hear that, I've lost a few pets over the years and it breaks your heart.  They are family.

What's been the most effective way to stop your dog pulling whilst on a lead, she gets plenty of walks 4/5 times a day but she just always pulls and is very easily distracted, always wants to talk to every person and dog. She's currently being walked on a fixed length lead with a Julius K9 harness but I've also just ordered a front clip harness to see if that will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

She also thinks mud is a great snack... 20200808_132306.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Empty It said:

What's been the most effective way to stop your dog pulling whilst on a lead, she gets plenty of walks 4/5 times a day but she just always pulls and is very easily distracted, always wants to talk to every person and dog. She's currently being walked on a fixed length lead with a Julius K9 harness but I've also just ordered a front clip harness to see if that will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

She also thinks mud is a great snack... 20200808_132306.jpeg

Very basically don't reward the dog by allowing her to pull (stop and shorten the lead if you have to). By permitting pulling you're only teaching that pulling is the best way to get to where she wants to be.

I'd start off walking in really low distraction area (a quiet car park for example) and mark with a verbal "yes" or "good" when the lead is loose and she's paying attention to you. You can give a treat if she is food motivated after you've said your marker word. Move in different directions, change direction quickly and reward for moving with you and keeping the lead slack.

Build up to areas with more distractions (e.g. move onto areas with grass, trees etc and then onto areas where there are likely to be more people and other dogs).

Essentially you want to make paying attention to you and keeping the lead slack to be more rewarding for her. Any "bad" behaviour a dog picks up is reinforced by them being rewarded in some way. For example a dog will continue to investigate kitchen counters if it managed to find food there at any point. This can also be made to work to your advantage though, you just have to be careful about which behaviours you reward.

We're going through the same thing with the dog we adopted in May. He had no training prior to us adopting him but he's coming on a lot better now. He walks on a lead fine but is still trying to engage with other dogs atm. My dog Skye was awful when we got her as well but is now pretty much bomb proof and walked off lead 99% of the time.

Very basically don't reward the dog by allowing her to pull (stop and shorten the lead if you have to). By permitting pulling you're only teaching that pulling is the best way to get to where she wants to be.
I'd start off walking in really low distraction area (a quiet car park for example) and mark with a verbal "yes" or "good" when the lead is loose and she's paying attention to you. You can give a treat if she is food motivated after you've said your marker word. Move in different directions, change direction quickly and reward for moving with you and keeping the lead slack.
Build up to areas with more distractions (e.g. move onto areas with grass, trees etc and then onto areas where there are likely to be more people and other dogs).
Essentially you want to make paying attention to you and keeping the lead slack to be more rewarding for her. Any "bad" behaviour a dog picks up is reinforced by them being rewarded in some way. For example a dog will continue to investigate kitchen counters if it managed to find food there at any point. This can also be made to work to your advantage though, you just have to be careful about which behaviours you reward.
We're going through the same thing with the dog we adopted in May. He had no training prior to us adopting him but he's coming on a lot better now. He walks on a lead fine but is still trying to engage with other dogs atm. My dog Skye was awful when we got her as well but is now pretty much bomb proof and walked off lead 99% of the time.
Yeah we've been doing most the things mentioned stopping and changing direction when she pulls but she's very stubborn, I'm sure with enough persistence and patience she'll come round but her breed are well known for being stubborn buggers.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
24 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Yeah we've been doing most the things mentioned stopping and changing direction when she pulls but she's very stubborn, I'm sure with enough persistence and patience she'll come round but her breed are well known for being stubborn buggers.

Yep, Our dog Skye is 25% husky and it shows. In addition to what I mentioned above I'd be trying to mark and reward calm behaviour indoors too. We wasted a ton of money on crap training classes as well which didn't help.

On 10/10/2020 at 14:03, Day of the Lords said:

Looking after my mother's lab whilst the old man is in hospital for a while.20201010_081853.jpg20201008_154938.jpg

On 10/10/2020 at 14:06, Mr. Alli said:

100% guaranteed it'll not just be me confused AF thinking that you've got a lab in a field as wallpaper. :lol:

I actually did this! (Sort of). There’s a picture somewhere way back in this thread of the big chap that I was fair impressed with. So impressed in fact that I got it blown up and it proudly adorns my office wall at work: 

33027D92-A7DA-4B0E-B422-F32252764EA9.jpeg

On 04/05/2019 at 12:33, stevieKTID said:

I love my life as a dog walker but the transient nature of life in Amsterdam means that people and their dogs come and go, i started walking jolie and keeley 5 and a half years ago and have built up a very strong bond with them and their owners, the owners informed me a while back that they were selling up, taking early retirement and were going to tour Europe for a few years, thought i'd come to terms with it until it came to drop them off for the last time yesterday, the owners were home they gave me a lovely hand written card, a bottle of whisky and a photo album filled with pictures of the dogs, i thanked them profusely and said my goodbyes, once i got outside i cried my eyes out (i've turned into a sentimental old fool in the last few years) i will miss the daily interaction with them but on the plus side it means i can plan a roadtrip and go see them somewhere on their travels....first world problems thread for this pish ehemoji16.png

Dogs are awesome. IMG_20180911_115254.thumb.jpg.7ba5a5e5f8065faf63cb2a9acce1f774.jpg

Reunited with my girls! Their owners are back in The Netherlands for a pit stop before continuing on their European adventures, they've aged a bit, was great seeing them again i got an amazing welcome 😁

IMG_20201019_180332.jpg

IMG_20201018_140231_012.jpg