SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

On 26/04/2020 at 11:35, Futureboy said:

One of my dugs is a tick magnet. A proper tick remover is a god send. I keep mine on my car keys so it's always at hand.

Our two get a Bravecto tablet at the start of tick season. It's over £30 per tablet at our vet and kills the tick (so it falls off) quite quickly. Obviously we still carry tick removers in case we spot one, but we do seem to have found fewer since they started the medication... 

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Our two get a Bravecto tablet at the start of tick season. It's over £30 per tablet at our vet and kills the tick (so it falls off) quite quickly. Obviously we still carry tick removers in case we spot one, but we do seem to have found fewer since they started the medication... 

I wouldn't give my dogs Bravecto. I up the garlic in their food during tick season which seems to have reduced things, but one dog inevitably picks some up. 

4 hours ago, Futureboy said:

I wouldn't give my dogs Bravecto. I up the garlic in their food during tick season which seems to have reduced things, but one dog inevitably picks some up. 

Why not the bravecto? Because of where we are it was a constant battle with ticks on the previous big chap. This time round it’s been a revelation with the bravecto,  nothing.

What’s the downside that I’m missing? And is a garlic breath dog a good thing? (I’m joking btw!) 

46 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Why not the bravecto? Because of where we are it was a constant battle with ticks on the previous big chap. This time round it’s been a revelation with the bravecto,  nothing.

What’s the downside that I’m missing? And is a garlic breath dog a good thing? (I’m joking btw!) 

Lots of stories of it causing issues with dogs, including death in perfectly healthy animals. 

That said, I'm a bit OTT when it comes to the dogs health. They've never had commercial dog food in their life, I make their raw meals every day. 

9 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Lots of stories of it causing issues with dogs, including death in perfectly healthy animals. 

That said, I'm a bit OTT when it comes to the dogs health. They've never had commercial dog food in their life, I make their raw meals every day. 

Ta. All makes sense. I did look at the raw food for him this time round, was talked out of it and happy enough with that. Choices for circumstances I suppose. 

29 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Ta. All makes sense. I did look at the raw food for him this time round, was talked out of it and happy enough with that. Choices for circumstances I suppose. 

Not wanting to derail things. Just interested about the argument against raw feeding.

Quite right it's all about circumstances and choices. 

30 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Not wanting to derail things. Just interested about the argument against raw feeding.

Quite right it's all about circumstances and choices. 

Basic answer was ‘do I want to be cutting up green tripe at 8am on a Sunday morning or leave it to a nutritionist who has spent many millions working out an optimum for dry food that suits the most?’

Call me lazy. I put my trust in those that invested their money. I absolutely get the raw food idea. I just don’t think it’s for all. 

5 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Must admit to using the crushed garlic trick for external parasites too. I'm a bit wary of the long-term effects from a lot of parasite prevention meds marketed for dogs knowing how they actually work.

What sort of stuff do you feed @Futureboy ? 

@Rizzo I feed 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat with the odd addition (raw eggs, fruit and veg, turmeric paste).  I mostly make up my own a couple of times a month and freeze it, supplemented with a stock of pre-made meals from Paleo Ridge. They get the odd treat like whole rabbit.

21 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’m taking antibiotics just now after a tick bite. Might try some of these recipe ideas.

I got a tick bite a couple of years back, I never went to a doctor. I noticed after an hour of coming back with the dog. Did you have any issues and went to the doctor or just being safe?

On the Bravecto subject, we gave our last dog it as he would pick up ticks and fleas all the time and he would not stop scratching himself and going crazy. We tried everything and only the bravecto worked.  We now have another dog and went to a different vet and we get simparica from there, it's a monthly tablet and according to the vet it has lower risk and side effects.

39 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

@Rizzo I feed 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat with the odd addition (raw eggs, fruit and veg, turmeric paste).  I mostly make up my own a couple of times a month and freeze it, supplemented with a stock of pre-made meals from Paleo Ridge. They get the odd treat like whole rabbit.

Paleo ridge is our choice as well. We have quite a few squirrels around our house so if any of them get clipped by passing cars one of us is out with a bag and they get fired into the freezer. 

I shudder to think what the neighbours think of us.

13 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

I got a tick bite a couple of years back, I never went to a doctor. I noticed after an hour of coming back with the dog. Did you have any issues and went to the doctor or just being safe?

On the Bravecto subject, we gave our last dog it as he would pick up ticks and fleas all the time and he would not stop scratching himself and going crazy. We tried everything and only the bravecto worked.  We now have another dog and went to a different vet and we get simparica from there, it's a monthly tablet and according to the vet it has lower risk and side effects.

It was the symptoms that prompted me. Bit was on my leg and it was like having a hamburger under it. Really swollen and hot and had a bit of a fever and sore neck. On the third round of antibiotics now. Will hopefully avoid having to go in for a drip. 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It was the symptoms that prompted me. Bit was on my leg and it was like having a hamburger under it. Really swollen and hot and had a bit of a fever and sore neck. On the third round of antibiotics now. Will hopefully avoid having to go in for a drip. 

Wow, hope you get sorted this time then. My bite was on the back of my knee, it was still small when I took it off and didnt have any symptoms or pain. They are wee aresholes.

12 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Paleo ridge is our choice as well. We have quite a few squirrels around our house so if any of them get clipped by passing cars one of us is out with a bag and they get fired into the freezer. 

I shudder to think what the neighbours think of us.

Haha, it's not just me who does the same thing then! Pheasants are a favourite!

Rosie the dog and Ellie got a trip down the beach yesterday. They enjoyed it immensely:

7ff7e149-d6e0-4d3a-863b-1936aaadec40.thumb.jpg.53f212cf38cee3aa7739c90c083a5cd2.jpg

I also enjoy immensely how her ear has shaped in to a crown in this one:

ae84255e-ae8d-4ded-be7d-41cdfc32a70e.thumb.jpg.e68df5570334fad2e1852ec725c7ec31.jpg

Was also going to try and play a game of spot the ball for some of you to enjoy during lockdown, but Rosie the dog’s obsession with it pretty much immediately gives the location away:

76c2ba9f-b21a-4d04-b0e6-1d0e44a315b0.thumb.jpg.086f6e6bea26f733094f589f44b10fe0.jpg