SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

11 hours ago, RH33 said:

Does anyone use a dog walker? I did my ankle just before Christmas, think I probably ditched the boot and have been doing more than I should on it. Could hardly walk on it on Saturday.

What I've not been able to do is get shug out for a good long walk at leasr once a week. He's a lazy thing and he is out daily for laps of block and kids take him down to local park but I've been in touch with someone today as think it's a bit unfair. 

Not sure point of post, pointers to what I should ask/look for @stevieKTID?

7 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Can only echo what @Rizzo has said.

Do your research and go with an experienced walker, preferably someone that's going to come to meet you and your dog beforehand, that way you can see if you and your dog like and trust the person, we always send potential new clients a questionnaire so we have a bit of background ( and hope they're being honest ) as previously mentioned be very specific as to what you want, a handy tip might be to get a GPS tracker so if the worst happens you can track their movements - from experience some dogs will act slightly differently when out with a new person I always keep new dogs on leash until I'm certain there's a mutual trust.

@Boghead ranter might be able to provide some extra information.

Like all decent tradesmen, they'll have nothing to hide, so won't worry about having to come and see you and your dog. When I do my meet'n'greets I have a folder that has my up to date Liability Insurance certificate, my Motor Insurance certificate and my Police Check in it for them to have a look at, if they want.  I also offer them and their dog a chance to look round the van, see that I'll be transporting their dog to walk site securely and safely. My visits are usually 30-45 minutes, which allows me to ask everything I want to, lets the client ask me whatever they want to know, but most importantly, lets me assess the dog, and the dog assess me. 

Most walkers have a Social Page, full of pictures, so you can have a nosey round it before even contacting them. You'll be able to see if there are any customer testimonials, but the best measures of what they're like are looking at the pictures for group sizes/locations etc, and the more 'casual' comments made by existing clients.

I do as @stevieKTID does, even if the client tells me the dog will be fine off lead, I only let their dog off once it's walked with me for a good period of time, and I'm confident it isn't going to sprint off. The dog needs time to realise that its' walker is also an Alpha in it's life that should be obeyed.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Like all decent tradesmen, they'll have nothing to hide, so won't worry about having to come and see you and your dog. When I do my meet'n'greets I have a folder that has my up to date Liability Insurance certificate, my Motor Insurance certificate and my Police Check in it for them to have a look at, if they want.  I also offer them and their dog a chance to look round the van, see that I'll be transporting their dog to walk site securely and safely. My visits are usually 30-45 minutes, which allows me to ask everything I want to, lets the client ask me whatever they want to know, but most importantly, lets me assess the dog, and the dog assess me. 

Most walkers have a Social Page, full of pictures, so you can have a nosey round it before even contacting them. You'll be able to see if there are any customer testimonials, but the best measures of what they're like are looking at the pictures for group sizes/locations etc, and the more 'casual' comments made by existing clients.

I do as @stevieKTID does, even if the client tells me the dog will be fine off lead, I only let their dog off once it's walked with me for a good period of time, and I'm confident it isn't going to sprint off. The dog needs time to realise that its' walker is also an Alpha in it's life that should be obeyed.

Shug loves everyone so tbh Ted Bundy could show up and shug would be like hi hi hi! So using your dog as a gauge of a person is useless here 🤣

I had a look at the Facebook page and they seem to be consistent appearances of the same dogs.

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

Shug loves everyone so tbh Ted Bundy could show up and shug would be like hi hi hi! So using your dog as a gauge of a person is useless here 🤣

I went to see a potential dog once, which, despite being really placid and calm, just wouldn't come near me*. After about 45 mins, I had to admit to the clients that they'd best try another walker .

*No idea why, I'm usually 'Box Office' when it comes to dogs 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Rizzo said:

It's P&B "spot the dug difference".

A photo of Millie

il_794xN.3114991096_j9pv.thumb.jpg.7f6e8a668c59d798b8731f480379d905.jpg

A photo of a toy bobble-head dog

20230205_130105.thumb.jpg.e49a03fccc68685398a0ac39a2205664.jpg

She is beautiful. 

Wonder if a p&b dog walk would result in a happy band of pouches chanting FTOF and/or a mauling of an OF supporter!

Also Shug never barks at people at door. Went nuts last night when my ex handed something in the girls needed.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I wanted to call the current mutt Boab but I was overruled. 

This is currently the in-house discussion:  Whether or not to 'change' the name to Bob.  Easier to say (firmer), and, well... I think he suits Bob better.  If we're going to do it, then straight away is obviously best.

I can immediately see why lurchers are synonymous with sofas though. This is him after a decent night's sleep and before the planned morning walk:

PXL_20230209_1058124712.thumb.jpg.071fa0d9d8d71dfad009c2adab550709.jpg

and then, as soon as he senses a P&B post:

"Let me get a pose in here"

PXL_20230209_1102073622.thumb.jpg.d6711d9fccda628637628099ff058619.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter