SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Heartbreaking @lichtgilphead  .

I’ve had to do it twice but we kind of knew their time was up and that it was the right thing to do. But to have do it so suddenly after such an apparently innocuous accident that has suddenly spiralled so far out of control, I can’t imagine. And Mrs Gilp must also be in bits as well. Feel for you both. 

15 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Unfortunately, we had to have Toby put to sleep earlier today. He didn't realise that Mrs Gilp was home for lunch until he heard the treat jar open. He came running down the hall, slipped on the kitchen flooring and smacked into one of the units.

When we got him to his feet, it was obvious that his front right leg was broken. We took him down to the vets for an x-ray, which showed that the bone was pretty definitely rotten with cancer. The x-rays were sent to various bone clinics for their opinions, and they were all doubtful that they could save the leg. They all also recomended further investigation of the probable cancer.

Our vet was of the opinion that amputation would probably only extend his life for a few months, so we had to make the heartbreaking decision to spare him any further suffering.

He was only 8. My poor big boy.

May be an image of dog

What a horrific thing to happen to the poor lad, he was obviously a happy lad before his accident and if we were in your position we would have done the same. It's a horrid decision to have to make, but when the alternative doesn't really improve their quality of life then its really the only option.

Can't imagine how you're feeling after that all happening so quickly though. So sorry for you guys. :(

Thanks to all for the messages of sympathy above. It's been a hard couple of days for both of us, but also for our other greyhound, Percy. Even though he was taken into the vets to see Toby's body, he's still looking for him to come home. When I got home from the football yesterday, it was so sad to see him looking for Toby behind me. He's never lived without another Greyhound for company before.

Here's a couple of my favourite pictures of Toby to remember him by.

327946082_6518178044877755_3528425908702513196_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=mrBjgXLD6zQAX83dx5u&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfDG-oy_M4zEBoqHLqzIlimSmKV4ACEVkC4lrxEdw-_M7g&oe=63DBEB7B327898688_560342506115825_6022818727649639772_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=r5s-iVKqpk8AX8HwAsv&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AfApIGJHx56yOXC7R_NvPopctEaid_jsx4FIxhoTpvpOIA&oe=63DC8285

So, onto one of the few consolations when a greyhound passes - it opens up a space on the sofa for a new rescue. We went down to the monthly Greyhound Trust Motherwell walk this afternoon, where Janice had brought along 5 dogs she thought we would like to consider. Two were a bit too playful & bouncy for Percy (he's over 11), and one seemed to bonding with another family. That left two candidates, from whom we chose Eddie (racing name Moanteen Eddie). We pick him up on 20th February.

20230129_145424.jpg

20230129_145437.jpg

Edited by lichtgilphead

9 minutes ago, Flatulent Gannet said:

@lichtgilphead Eddie looks wonderful, those kind eyes !.

Our Bonnie is now 5 1/2 months old, and loving her walks with her pals. This is after todays walk at Carbisdale Castle.

4DDFC3A4-61DA-4875-B591-A1DAE23342AA.jpeg

Did you go in by The Pier in Lairg for food?