SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Harvey at Hydrotherapy

The motivation factor is a tube of cream cheese.

Hydrotherapy was one of the best and most effective treatments he received in his latter years. I thoroughly recommend it; it was one of the best expenses I have ever made (and there were lots of expenses with him!)

Edited by Mon Dieu

Accepted that we'd hit a brick wall with Morse's training so our trainer suggested e-collar training last autumn. I wasn't sure about it but have been researching for a while and we decided him being walked exclusively on a lead just wasn't fair. Whatever scent hound is in his ancestry just had his nose to the floor constantly and you could see the switch in his demeanour when he picked up the scent of another animal. No word, treat or toy would tempt him back.

Put some of our Christmas money together to buy the recommended brand and I wish we'd bought it earlier. We had our first training session on Sunday and because he already knew all his commands, he's picked up the idea of coming back for a treat when he feels it vibrate really quick.

He's had his first proper off-lead walk in Callander Park tonight. We originally had him dragging the long line but we kept tripping over the damp thing and he was being really well behaved anyway. The idea is to give us all a bit more confidence until it's no longer required, which won't be long at all I don't think.

The bearded collie belongs to a relative of mine, he only met her for the first time tonight.

He's been crashed out since we got home and we were only out for an hour.

Probably not going to be a popular post but genuinely over the moon to see him running about, paddling in the pond, playing with a stick and just generally having fun being a dog.

20220112_203201.jpg

Agreed. I’m no bully but I struggle sometimes with the ‘everything must be positive’ mantra that is currently in vogue. 

The thing I’ve read that chimed most with me was that the dog understands very quickly that an action has a consequence. Great that most of those can be positive but, inevitably, they have to be balanced with unacceptable behaviours having unwanted consequences. 

Pulling on the lead (he’s just turned 1yo) is my current bête noir. By f**k does he piss me off at times! 

36 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Agreed. I’m no bully but I struggle sometimes with the ‘everything must be positive’ mantra that is currently in vogue. 

The thing I’ve read that chimed most with me was that the dog understands very quickly that an action has a consequence. Great that most of those can be positive but, inevitably, they have to be balanced with unacceptable behaviours having unwanted consequences. 

Pulling on the lead (he’s just turned 1yo) is my current bête noir. By f**k does he piss me off at times! 

We had our fill of purely positive stuff when we adopted Skye. I shudder to think how much money wee pissed up against the wall after reading nearly everywhere that even so much as raising our voices would make her terrified of us. Every "force-free" trainer we hired just had us managing her (badly), while we searched for that one toy or treat that would hold her attention (never did find it).

We "managed" her for about 2 years until one day when we were moving, she escaped the flat after my mum left the front door slightly ajar. She was hit by a van within about 10 seconds of leaving the garden even with OH in hot pursuit and shouting at her. Somehow she avoided major injury (likely due to hitting the side and bouncing backward) and got sent home by the vet that evening completely off her tits on tramadol. 

It was at that point we decided just to use whatever method worked. Turned out all she actually needed by way of correction was a very quick tug on the lead. Soon as she realised that it was better to do as told, she was totally fine. That was after going to a trainer that used a more balanced approach so we've just been going back to him ever since. 

10 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Much like parenting, positive but sometime just need a bollocking!

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

@Rizzo, can we have some photos of the OE sheepdog as well, please?! :wub:

I'll need to get a few if we're out during the day. This is her in the left with her big brother on the right although they are bearded collies rather than OESs. Lovely dogs so they are, they are so gentle and calm indoors but like to tear it up outside.🤣

15977749_1526061294078550_3596918190979613558_n.jpg

Edited by Rizzo

Huge panic on Sunday when half-wit hound managed to knock over the food waste-bin and devour an entire fruit cake on Sunday.

Rushed him to emergency vets where they gave him an injection to make him sick. They then had to dive into the kennel and drag him out because he was desperate to eat it again.

We'll see how good his pet insurance is now I suppose.

20220117_201006.jpg

On 18/01/2022 at 10:02, Rizzo said:

Huge panic on Sunday when half-wit hound managed to knock over the food waste-bin and devour an entire fruit cake on Sunday.

Rushed him to emergency vets where they gave him an injection to make him sick. They then had to dive into the kennel and drag him out because he was desperate to eat it again.

We'll see how good his pet insurance is now I suppose.

20220117_201006.jpg

My experience is you get one real kick at the ball with pet insurance and the next year you’d be as well binning it because the premium gets jacked so substantially.

Have won (certainty not the right word) with a fused spinal cord on dog #1 and an MRI Scan on dog #2. Hopefully Dog #3 has a long way to go before troubling the insurers. 

Everybody’s circumstances are different but for the sake of a few hundred ££s I’d suggest not troubling the insurance. They’ll get their money back many times over. Only when it’s thousands is it worth actually claiming IMO. 

6 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

My experience is you get one real kick at the ball with pet insurance and the next year you’d be as well binning it because the premium gets jacked so substantially.

Have won (certainty not the right word) with a fused spinal cord on dog #1 and an MRI Scan on dog #2. Hopefully Dog #3 has a long way to go before troubling the insurers. 

Everybody’s circumstances are different but for the sake of a few hundred ££s I’d suggest not troubling the insurance. They’ll get their money back many times over. Only when it’s thousands is it worth actually claiming IMO. 

Totally agree with the above. We took the £300 hit when we needed an emergency call-out (on a Sunday, of course) when they ate around 300g of dark chocolate between them, and we didn't know how much each of them had had. Vet injected them both to be sure, and they had eaten about half each.

As Pete says, insurance is for things that cost thousands.

Here's a pic of them both in happier times

2021 10.JPG

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

Totally agree with the above. We took the £300 hit when we needed an emergency call-out (on a Sunday, of course) when they ate around 300g of dark chocolate between them.

Did they show any side affects to that? Know the dog + chocolate mix is bad news but so far I've had no bad luck with it. My grans dog, which was ancient, ploughed into a gift sized Cadburys bar and didn't even seem fussed, while my wee rat ate a chocolate muffin I'd bought for my wifes birthday and had no issues. Mines is a proper mongrel though so seemingly they have really strong stomachs.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did they show any side affects to that? Know the dog + chocolate mix is bad news but so far I've had no bad luck with it. My grans dog, which was ancient, ploughed into a gift sized Cadburys bar and didn't even seem fussed, while my wee rat ate a chocolate muffin I'd bought for my wifes birthday and had no issues. Mines is a proper mongrel though so seemingly they have really strong stomachs.

Have to agree with this.  I’ve had pups plough through chocolate before with no issues.  Bollocked the muppet that left chocolate in range of a puppy and I’d never give them chocolate but I’m not going to flap if they do eat some.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our two would probably have been OK, but we didn't want to take any chances. Just by chance, when we phoned the emergency number, the vet was in the surgery preparing to go out to a horse. Given the weight of our two (33 & 34 kg), she calculated that anything over 130 g might be problematic. In addition, dark chocolate is worse for them than milk chocolate, so it made the decision easy. We were down at the surgery 2 minutes later.

They were none the worse for the experience, but it must have been no more than 20 miutes between eating the stuff and getting the jags.