SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

For my tuppenceworth, Collies are proper working dogs.
10hrs a day on the go working with you and they’re an absolute dream. 10hrs cooped up in the house while you’re working on your laptop, they’re stuck in their own worst nightmare. 
Before deciding on a dog there’s a real requirement for an honest conversation on lifestyle and the breed and how that fits in with you - generally a dog will only tinker with the margins; if you’re stuck on the couch now, you’ll still be stuck on the couch but with an extra couple of 1/2hr stints of grudged fresh air in between. Not a win for anyone. 
Sorry, now dismounting my high horse!! 
Agreed, we have a husky/malamute cross and she's out on walks for about 4 hours a day and even then comes home and runs about like she's had a can of red bull.

36 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I have a lab (not overfed).  He’s the most chilled lazy dog I’ve ever had.

Half hour walk or 20 minutes with the frisbee and he’s done.

I think mine is defective right enough.

This is the thing. Dogs - and their owners - need routine.

A lab will be quite happy with a 1/2 hour walk either end of the day with company and sleep in between. It’s one of those self-proving conundrums - how did I end up with a dog that demands to be walked 10 miles a day? Err, because that’s how you started out with it, by waking it 10 miles a day…

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

This is the thing. Dogs - and their owners - need routine.

A lab will be quite happy with a 1/2 hour walk either end of the day with company and sleep in between. It’s one of those self-proving conundrums - how did I end up with a dog that demands to be walked 10 miles a day? Err, because that’s how you started out with it, by waking it 10 miles a day…

Ish.  You're mostly right.  But when we lived in A'deenshire when the weans were wee we had a matched pair of Ridgeback bitches - stunning dogs - but to keep them sane they needed to gallop at least an hour a day plus a walk in the evening.

Kept me fit.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Ish.  You're mostly right.  But when we lived in A'deenshire when the weans were wee we had a matched pair of Ridgeback bitches - stunning dogs - but to keep them sane they needed to gallop at least an hour a day plus a walk in the evening.

Kept me fit.

Aye, as my previous posts, dogs need varying levels of exercise. Some are actually quite happy with a wee bit exercise but absolutely need company. 

All need mental stimulation but some owners conflate that with just walking the legs off them. 

* and have a bonus point for the quadruple alliteration of ‘weans were wee we..’😉

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Kept me fit.

Yeah.  With you here.  My boy was just never fussed.  I’d have been up for some good long walks but he wasn’t.  Lazy fucker.

I know she’s still a pup but my Shep is far more demanding.  Typical of the breed and she’s a bundle of energy.  Agility is working both physically and mentally for her.  Slept about 4 hours when we got home from agility today.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

... and unfortunately full of working instinct at times. 

My mum got a rescued collie when I was in my early teens and we had a serious issue with him always wanting to nip the heels of anyone running past.  Ended up needing a muzzle on him when out on walks, which obviously wasn't practical in summer. 

He once again bit the ankle of somebody jogging past me from behind whilst I had him on a short lead, and he ended up getting 'sent to a farm' soon after that incident.  Every cloud is a sheep that he's trying to nip in the sky.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yeah.  With you here.  My boy was just never fussed.  I’d have been up for some good long walks but he wasn’t.  Lazy fucker.

I know she’s still a pup but my Shep is far more demanding.  Typical of the breed and she’s a bundle of energy.  Agility is working both physically and mentally for her.  Slept about 4 hours when we got home from agility today.

When we moved back 'down south' - to Bucks - we had 'Hearing Dogs for Deaf People' trainees at weekends.  Mostly Cocker Spaniels or Cockerpoos.  Really sweet wee dugs.  They went to school Mon to Fri then came to us for the weekend.

When I'd pick them up on a Fri evening they were absolutely knackered - but by Sunday they got their second wind and ran about like mad things..

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

10hrs a day on the go working with you and they’re an absolute dream. 10hrs cooped up in the house while you’re working on your laptop, they’re stuck in their own worst nightmare. 

Before deciding on a dog there’s a real requirement for an honest conversation on lifestyle and the breed and how that fits in with you - generally a dog will only tinker with the margins; if you’re stuck on the couch now, you’ll still be stuck on the couch but with an extra couple of 1/2hr stints of grudged fresh air in between. Not a win for anyone. 

Sorry, now dismounting my high horse!! 

Working collies spend their lives alone in wee cages in a barn when they're not out and about on the farm. Not sure if life with a lazy owner is any worse.

Edited by welshbairn

Collies can definitely make great pets, wee Jake was mostly collie with a bit of lab and jack russell thrown in. Quite a lot of the collies we have round our way come across as utterly neurotic. Our trainer has two collies and says that folk quite often don't appreciate just how much they want to work and that's why you often see them trying to herd cars or obsessing over stuff like tennis balls. I think the only one I see that isn't too bad is ancient and limps everywhere.

Would deffo add a vote for mini-schnauzer. Skye and Jake used to go hill walking with one and he was really nice natured and well-behaved. I'm sure I have a video of him and Skye running about together somewhere. 

23 hours ago, Left Back said:

If you’re wanting a dog with stamina for long walks and good with kids have you thought about a Bernese Mountain Dog?  Pretty laid back too.

Some of the hound types like Visla’s, Weimerana’s (sod spelling that) and pointers have the stamina but might be a bit full on mental for your missus.

Shes just about on board with a minituare dachshund, the thought of the Bernese would terrify her! Kids would love that though. 

I think a border terrier would be a great wee dug

On 09/01/2022 at 18:39, Left Back said:

I have a lab (not overfed).  He’s the most chilled lazy dog I’ve ever had.

Half hour walk or 20 minutes with the frisbee and he’s done.

I think mine is defective right enough.

Isn't there two kinds of labs, the show dog that tend to be larger with a wider head, and the working dogs that are much leaner. Or maybe that's not what makes the difference and its just your luck whether you get a chilled, lazy lab or a crazy, energetic one?

32 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Isn't there two kinds of labs, the show dog that tend to be larger with a wider head, and the working dogs that are much leaner. Or maybe that's not what makes the difference and its just your luck whether you get a chilled, lazy lab or a crazy, energetic one?

Mine is definitely lean.  Zero show champions in his family.  Not a clue if that makes him from working stock or not.

I know someone else that has a lab with lots of show champions in her family.  She was bred to show but then sold as a pup during lockdown as there were no shows going on.  She's an absolute fruit-loop.

43 minutes ago, s_dog said:

That's it. We're onto our third 'show' lab. Much chunkier and less athletic than the gun dog variant.

There's definitely something to the chilled/crazy thing between the types but i think is equally as much about a combination of the lifestyle you lead, how they've been trained, the company/stimulation they get and eventually just age and experience.

I take photos every day and post them on our social media pages so the owners can see their dogs are in safe hands and are having fun, in order to avoid posting similar photos i have to get creative from time to time and some days the photo speaks for itself.

Dogs eh

PhotoGrid_Plus_1640949531320.jpg

PhotoGrid_Plus_1641989029646.jpg