SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Wee Blu the staffy had his "wee op" a couple of weeks ago, came bouncing out the vets as if nothing had happened, and did not take it easy one bit!

When we had Arthur done, we were told that he might take a wee bit of chicken when the effects of the anaesthetic wore off completely.

The big lump stole the remnants of my lamb madras

5 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

At what age should you get your dog the snip ? Got told from people we got dog from it should be before the age of 1. Our vet says after age of 1 and thats if we decide he needs it. Unsure if I want to get him done at all. Currently right now has shown zero signs of humping etc 

A quick check online suggests the average is 6-9 months but a deeper search suggests it is dependent on the type of dog 

5 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

At what age should you get your dog the snip ? Got told from people we got dog from it should be before the age of 1. Our vet says after age of 1 and thats if we decide he needs it. Unsure if I want to get him done at all. Currently right now has shown zero signs of humping etc 

I think it's mostly accepted now that it's best to wait until 2yo or older if it's a large breed. There was a study done that showed some unsavoury side effects from neutering early.

Link to study - https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full

Morse is 2 years and 3 months old, we probably wouldn't have bothered with neutering, but he had an undescended testicle which is pretty much guarenteed to cause issues if left. He didn't show any problem behaviours relating to hormones. 

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Yup I did the searches and came to no conclusion. I also don't know the type of my dog.( from the streets of Romania ) 🇷🇴 

Aye, that's more difficult.  I'd go with what the Vet suggests regardless - probably when he starts getting interested in humping. (the dug, not the vet).

My boy is 3 now and we've not had it done. He has the odd hump of his bed but that's it really.

The downside is on walks he wants to sniff absolutely everything and has started being a bit grumpy and jumpy on the lead if passing by other dogs.

4 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Blu is 7 months old, and we've got a female Belgian Malinois and he was starting trying to mount her, so it was safer to get him in and done ASAP!

This is probably my favourite Twitter account. Some of the videos are hilarious, especially the one where a guy on crutches apparently paid $400 for a check up for his dog who had nothing wrong with it and was only limping because the owner was. 

Morse has utterly destroyed one buster collar already, so had to fork out another 6 quid for a new one today. 

Post op check has revealed he's healing well though, no sign of infection and he's getting more like his old self by the day. Hopefully get his stitches out around this time next week and that'll be him sorted.

20211019_183108.jpg

34 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Surprised that the Mathematics household is home to such a cutesy wee dug. A 'Hound of the Baskervilles' man-eating, slobbering monster was expected.........

That jacket once belonged to a local toddler..