SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

8 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

He's some boy a big softie as well, crazy strong though, I'm going to have arms like Popeye soon, best part is when I drop him off he sits in front of the door to stop me leaving 😊 the owners really like how I've clicked with him, very rewarding when you bond with a dog that you only see a couple of hours a week.

Renton goes out with a dog walker a few times a week as it’s too hot for him to come to work with me and sit in the van just now. He goes nuts when he sees her van parked up if we’re out for a walk or if we walk by her house. It’s nice to see him having that bond and not being like he’s getting dragged out for a walk by a stranger. 

17 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

Renton goes out with a dog walker a few times a week as it’s too hot for him to come to work with me and sit in the van just now. He goes nuts when he sees her van parked up if we’re out for a walk or if we walk by her house. It’s nice to see him having that bond and not being like he’s getting dragged out for a walk by a stranger. 

Had dog walkers for our boy at various periods.  The two we had in Edinburgh he loved.  As soon as they walked in the door he was up and excited.  The one we got when we moved to Perthshire he had to be coaxed out the door after a few weeks.  For whatever reason they just didn’t click.  We were on the verge of emptying him when the pandemic struck and sorted that for us.  Post lockdown 1 when he started up again we said you’re alright mate, don’t need you any more.

Probably won’t need one again now because 1 of us will always be working at home at a minimum and my work are used to me patching anything at lunchtime as the dog has to go out.  Thankfully my new line manager has a dog so knows where I’m coming from.

Morse and Skye absolutely love our current dog walker. Her husband is a dog trainer and is very good at his job so she does a bit of training with our two when they're out their walkies. She posts photos and videos of them to her Facebook and we got a few progress videos of Morse when she started taking him out.

Morse is certainly much less worried by other dogs and people since he started going out with her twice a week. Hoping to get back to doing the one-one sessions with the guy soon.

It's really handy to know we don't need to come home every day of the week as well and if we're feeling lazy that they don't need a huge walk in the evening.

Edited by Rizzo

On the subject of dog walkers, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of folk who think it's really easy and a bit of a skive, I've interviewed many potential colleges over the years and can usually tell within 5 minutes if they're trustworthy and capable.

Basically we'll have a informal interview and if they show potential we'll take them out to show them how we do our thing, the ones that turn up wearing fresh clothes, brand new sneakers and don't have a bag with them usually don't meet our requirements, the ones that turn up dressed like their expecting to get a bit dirty are usually good candidates.

Most important for me is building up trust with the owner and communicating clearly with them, then getting to know the dog and understanding their behaviour.

When it all clicks it's very rewarding and I've learned so much about dog behaviour and about myself.

Dogs are brilliant.

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

E4gJhojXMAEec7s?format=jpg&name=900x900

Shattered a tooth and had to get it removed today so he's full of drugs and feeling sorry for himself. Wee p***k has made me give up my ticket for tonight. :lol:

He's done You a a massive fucking favour to be fair.

Had to let our dog go a few weeks ago. She was a few days after her 15th birthday and her quality of life was rapidly going downhill. Could barely get herself out of bed by the end and she was terrible at night, barely able to lie down. During the day she'd usually pick up but the gaps between the good days and the bad were getting longer to the point where it would have been unfair to keep her going. Devastated to lose her.

B7CA76EC-2E9B-49BE-9878-6636F0B3E21D.jpg

Cheers. We were very lucky with her. Was still going for two walks a day by the start of April but the decline came swiftly. Were convinced we were losing her in February last year but she rallied and we got another great year.

96FE9B85-F27E-46BE-85AB-7F9BEEB382ED.jpg

5 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Cheers. We were very lucky with her. Was still going for two walks a day by the start of April but the decline came swiftly. Were convinced we were losing her in February last year but she rallied and we got another great year.

Sorry for your loss, they're part of the family and letting them go is genuinely heartbreaking. 

Archie had his first bout of Chemo on Wednesday. He was fine when we got home and Thursday he was doing really well, almost the Archie pre cancer which was great to see.

Not so great yesterday though. The nausea kicked in and he refused to eat anything all day. Wouldnt even swallow the anti nausea pills the vets gave us. Hes gagging when he drinks. Last night he was sick a couple of times and has been really lethargic and refused to take the last nausea tablets we have. Will have an early trip to the vets today for more.

I know there will be up and downs from now till the end but if this is what he's going to be like for days after each bout im wondering what quality of life hes going to have and is the chemo worth it over the next couple of months?

Bleh.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Archie had his first bout of Chemo on Wednesday. He was fine when we got home and Thursday he was doing really well, almost the Archie pre cancer which was great to see.

Not so great yesterday though. The nausea kicked in and he refused to eat anything all day. Wouldnt even swallow the anti nausea pills the vets gave us. Hes gagging when he drinks. Last night he was sick a couple of times and has been really lethargic and refused to take the last nausea tablets we have. Will have an early trip to the vets today for more.

I know there will be up and downs from now till the end but if this is what he's going to be like for days after each bout im wondering what quality of life hes going to have and is the chemo worth it over the next couple of months?

Bleh.

Jake had a couple of bad days when he began his chemo as well. If you're going to the vet school they should be able to either adjust his dose or prescribe something to manage he side effects. We wound up just giving Jake whatever he would eat to get food into him at times whether that was wet dog food (a novelty for him) or cooked.

13 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Sorry for the loss of your lovely wee girl. It's hard to describe how big a hole they leave.😪

Sorry for the loss of your lovely wee girl. It's hard to describe how big a hole they leave.[emoji25]

It's the wee split seconds when you get up in the morning and expect to see her there or when you go out in the garden and she doesn't follow. Can barely look at the big space in the living room!

We walk to the Stables in Kirkintilloch for lunch today. All good until the manager asked for a photo for their social media. He’s wasn’t for having it.

For those on the thread having troubles of late; I feel For you. It’s fucking shit. I like that this thread, like the depression and parenting one, is c**t-free and allows us to vent about all dog-related business: good and bad.

30FCF277-B618-4473-B3C4-E342235E959A.jpeg