SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Full box of toys. Plays with a door mat.
CE64E36E-D2C8-4BAD-8523-6961154C83EE.thumb.jpeg.6b94f8da39d80b678dd8cdf1efb4ec7b.jpeg
Yep. There will always be a favourite plaything. It will never, ever, be a "toy". You just have to roll with it. Currently, Casper has a thing for those wee containers you fill with washing liquid and bung in the machine. Smashing dog, but stupid as a stupid thing at times.

Archie had his stitches out today and the wound is healing nicely.

Hes been up and down the past week, tiring out quickly with being a leg down and adjusting to his new way of life. Hes been suffering with the heat too which is always a problem for him and his thick coat anyways.

Tuesday is now the first appointment so two days booked off for me to chill with him incase of any side effects.

I've been looking into diets for dogs with cancer and the raw food diet seems to crop up all the time. Low carbs and high protein seems to be the best way to slow the spread down. Is anyone currently feeding their Fido a raw diet? How easy is it to lose weight / keep it off etc?

30 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Archie had his stitches out today and the wound is healing nicely.

Hes been up and down the past week, tiring out quickly with being a leg down and adjusting to his new way of life. Hes been suffering with the heat too which is always a problem for him and his thick coat anyways.

Tuesday is now the first appointment so two days booked off for me to chill with him incase of any side effects.

I've been looking into diets for dogs with cancer and the raw food diet seems to crop up all the time. Low carbs and high protein seems to be the best way to slow the spread down. Is anyone currently feeding their Fido a raw diet? How easy is it to lose weight / keep it off etc?

Been feeding raw for years.  If we see our lab is starting to lose his waste we cut his portion size until he’s back in shape.  I don’t think it’s the raw per se, it’s the discipline to give him no human food at all which would wreak havoc on his guts as he’s on a raw diet.

Can’t comment on the low carb high protein stuff.  We just buy raw from a place in Falkirk.

Our two are on a raw diet too, carbs can be inflammatory for dogs but then so can some types of raw meat like beef and lamb that's quite fatty. We also got raw goats milk for Jake when he had his cancer. We got it from a wee wife near Linlithgow who was happy to chuck a few pints our way in exchange for a couple of quid. I can remember it being recommended but can't recall why. Jake certainly found it easier to keep weight on when we started feeding it to him with his meals. Not sure where you're located but I could put feelers out for folk selling in your area if you fancied trying it.

I haven't bought any for a while as Morse and Skye don't need it as much but tempted to pick some up again.

We get Paelo ridge raw food as it's all organic, outdoor reared stuff and very good quality as raw dog food goes. We aim for a mix of 80% muscle meat which includes tripe, heart and tongue. 10% bone and then 5% liver and another 5% secreting organ such as kidney or spleen. Mostly we use pre made complete mixes but sometimes buy stuff like chicken carcasses to give them something to chew.

20200701_131744.jpg

20191122_162224.jpg

Edited by Rizzo

11 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Our two are on a raw diet too, carbs can be inflammatory for dogs but then so can some types of raw meat like beef and lamb that's quite fatty. We also got raw goats milk for Jake when he had his cancer. We got it from a wee wife near Linlithgow who was happy to chuck a few pints our way in exchange for a couple of quid. I can remember it being recommended but can't recall why. Jake certainly found it easier to keep weight on when we started feeding it to him with his meals. Not sure where you're located but I could put feelers out for folk selling in your area if you fancied trying it.

I haven't bought any for a while as Morse and Skye don't need it as much but tempted to pick some up again.

We get Paelo ridge raw food as it's all organic, outdoor reared stuff and very good quality as raw dog food goes. We aim for a mix of 80% muscle meat which includes tripe, heart and tongue. 10% bone and then 5% liver and another 5% secreting organ such as kidney or spleen. Mostly we use pre made complete mixes but sometimes buy stuff like chicken carcasses to give them something to chew.

20200701_131744.jpg

20191122_162224.jpg

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

Been feeding raw for years.  If we see our lab is starting to lose his waste we cut his portion size until he’s back in shape.  I don’t think it’s the raw per se, it’s the discipline to give him no human food at all which would wreak havoc on his guts as he’s on a raw diet.

Can’t comment on the low carb high protein stuff.  We just buy raw from a place in Falkirk.

Thanks guys. I've been advised by my local vet not to go feed raw till after the chemo. As his immune system will be blootered theres the potential of him picking up bacterial infections (salmonella etc) that an otherwise healthy dog would fight off.

But after the treatment I'll be feeding him raw food - the difference in his coat since I've started home cooking most of his food the last few weeks is unreal and I wish I'd done this years ago.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

What a stunner. :wub:

He's some boy a big softie as well, crazy strong though, I'm going to have arms like Popeye soon, best part is when I drop him off he sits in front of the door to stop me leaving 😊 the owners really like how I've clicked with him, very rewarding when you bond with a dog that you only see a couple of hours a week.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Thanks guys. I've been advised by my local vet not to go feed raw till after the chemo. As his immune system will be blootered theres the potential of him picking up bacterial infections (salmonella etc) that an otherwise healthy dog would fight off.

But after the treatment I'll be feeding him raw food - the difference in his coat since I've started home cooking most of his food the last few weeks is unreal and I wish I'd done this years ago.

A lot of vets advise against it full stop.  Never did understand why but our old vet said they weren’t officially allowed to endorse it but she fed her dog raw.  Seems far more natural to me than processed dog foods you buy.  We try and avoid anything processed for ours.  Substituting things like carrots for dentastix.  Might occasionally get a wee bit of sausage in their kong but that’s pretty much it.

27 minutes ago, Left Back said:

A lot of vets advise against it full stop.  Never did understand why but our old vet said they weren’t officially allowed to endorse it but she fed her dog raw.  Seems far more natural to me than processed dog foods you buy.  We try and avoid anything processed for ours.  Substituting things like carrots for dentastix.  Might occasionally get a wee bit of sausage in their kong but that’s pretty much it.

Thats what I've always thought. Grains and fillers aren't natural for dogs to consume, at the proportions in most dry dog foods anyway.

I don't see many wolves munching on corn or soy so I'm going to side with the natural order long term!

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Our vet is exactly the same, he said it was down to a lack of research into the risks but then we had Jake eating a fully raw diet even when he was having his cancer treatment and there wasn't any ill-effects from it. We we're told that he was in such good condition it'd be stupid to change his diet.

I never understood how, when people are advised to eat fresh raw food and avoid highly processed stuff, that a dog would be any different. Our two love their raw food and it's nice to see them getting wired into big meaty bones and hoovering up cuts of meat that most folk turn their noses up at. We quite often do a wee supermarket haul when they break out the yellow stickers and pick up additional organ meats and stuff like whole mackerel.

Edited by Rizzo

3 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

He's some boy a big softie as well, crazy strong though, I'm going to have arms like Popeye soon, best part is when I drop him off he sits in front of the door to stop me leaving 😊 the owners really like how I've clicked with him, very rewarding when you bond with a dog that you only see a couple of hours a week.

I'm almost, almost beginning to hate you as much as @MONKMAN. What a life you've got. 

49 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm almost, almost beginning to hate you as much as @MONKMAN. What a life you've got. 

Haha to be fair I am a bit of a fanny, it all balances out, you become invested emotionally in so many dogs lives and there can be some tough moments but luckily the good outweighs the bad.