SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

I'm really wanting a dug. This is the longest period in my life I've not had one. Always had spaniels. The way we work now (even outwith a pandemic) means there's always someone in the house.  I'm wanting a cockapoo or a border terrier. Where do you even start looking? How can you tell reputable breeders from the rogues? 
https://www.saynotopuppydealers.co.uk/finding-a-responsible-breeder/

Good website...

Left the back door open earlier so the dogs could go out to do their business before they settle down for the night. The 3 of them were back in just a couple of minutes and getting themselves comfy when all hell suddenly erupted. No idea where it came from but a great big ferret came wandering into the living room! Cue the dogs going tonto whilst the ferret was hissing and screeching back at them. Managed to get it back out the door whilst keeping the dogs away from it. Dogs are now hyper, pacing about the place and barking to get outside. Guess the ferret must have escaped from somewhere, hopefully it gets back before one of the local cats finds it.

On 26/02/2021 at 18:38, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Remember that new sofa the boy wasn't going to be allowed on? Turns out it's actually a throne...20210225_201054.jpeg.4e1a07e1eb028d4daa5b9959c77a530a.jpeg

Is that shite hanging out the back of your dogs arse?  Give him a newspaper at least.

On 28/02/2021 at 21:37, Lofarl said:

Is that shite hanging out the back of your dogs arse?  Give him a newspaper at least.

I'm going to guess it's the last remnants of one of the massively expensive "gourmet chew treats" Mrs WRK insists on buying him. Trust me, if it was shite I wouldn't have been able to get close enough for the photo. A serious dietary discussion is required - daily dose of natural yogurt has calmed the farts down, but his shit really stinks!

9 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm going to guess it's the last remnants of one of the massively expensive "gourmet chew treats" Mrs WRK insists on buying him. Trust me, if it was shite I wouldn't have been able to get close enough for the photo. A serious dietary discussion is required - daily dose of natural yogurt has calmed the farts down, but his shit really stinks!

Dogs are lactose intolerant.

20 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Some dogs are lactose intolerant. My raw fed dogs get the odd bit of cheese without any bother and the odd dollop of creme fraiche . Some dogs handle it, others don't.

Wee Jake enjoyed a bit of unprocessed goats milk to keep weight on him in the later stages of his life. He didn't suffer any smelly side effects luckily.

Morse does a big noisy fart when he stretches in the morning (to make matters worse it's when he goes into a bow and his rear end is thrust as high as it goes). Thankfully they don't smell.

Skye is a lady, and doesn't do noisy farts.

15 hours ago, RH33 said:

It's certainly something you should be wary of, but it's not true of all dogs. The yogurt was recommended by his vet* - with the caveat of keeping an eye on any eruptions front or back. He's been fine, and (first two/three months at home aside) has only thrown up the once when he grabbed something hot off one of the grandkids, and  never had anything other than good, firm stools. I realise I am now going home today to something resembling a DP cell in our Seg Unit.

*As was cubed cheese as training treats.

Just after a bit of advice really, Clara has started pissing indoors. It doesn't happen every day, but maybe once or twice a week. At first it was in the bedroom, and mainly on a rug I have. Then a week or two back she pissed on the rug in the living room. I thought it might be something like the softness of the rug mimicking grass outside or something. However over the past few nights she has had a slash in the bathroom (hardfloor, not the toilet unfortunately) and last night in the kitchen. 

The last time she did it in the bedroom, I knew she was there I was putting away some clothes, I had my back turned to her for a second, and when I turned round she had done a pee and walked off. 

The bathroom and kitchen episodes in the past week have worried me slightly though, when I have found the piss, I have gone into the living room where they will both inevitably be. Clara starts shaking, and hides behind her sister. It's almost like she is shamed by what she has done. I have never hit their nose or anything like that, or told them off verbaly, I am far too soft. Clara looks in absolute fear though. However I must add within around 5 minutes she is usually wagging her tail and coming for a cuddle. 

To make the whole thing even more odd, usually at around 6, she will scratch the front door, to indicate she wants to go out for a shite, in fairness the pair of them do. So I will get up, and take them out to do their business. So she knows that I will let her out if she goes to the door. 

I don't know if she is going through a phase (sounds like a bloody teenager) but we went to the beach at the weekend, and she kept drinking the sea water, and would then proceed to throw it back up. It went on for around an hour before I had to take them back to the car. 

I have taken her to the Vet today, and there was nothing out of the normal with her results, just said to keep an eye on her. 

Oh and here is a photo of her before she shamed herself and spewed her guts up. 

Clara.jpg

ETA

She also shakes before she gets in the car, always has done. When I take them out in the morning she will veer as far away possible from the car. When she is put in, she just lies down and shakes. I went out with a friend a few months ago with her dogs, and Clara moved from the rear seats to the passenger seat to sit on my lap. She just shook until she could nestle her head under my arm. Essentially covering her eyes. 

Really sad because she is generally such a happy pup, so excited to be out and about. 

Edited by LondonHMFC

One of my dogs went through a couple of weeks of random accidents (totally out of character) and it was down to a urine infection.

Make sure you really clean and disinfect the pee spots to get rid of any scent, or she might come to associate that as an accepted place to slash.

Also, my other dog drinks sea water like that every time I take him to the beach and we have to walk for a good while until the spew stops and we can get in the car. I just think he's a bit thick!

Edited by Futureboy

3 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

One of my dogs went through a couple of weeks of random accidents (totally out of character) and it was down to a urine infection.

Make sure you really clean and disinfect the pee spots to get rid of any scent, or she might come to associate that as an accepted place to slash.

Also, my other dog drinks sea water like that every time I take him to the beach and we have to walk for a good while until the spew stops and we can get in the car. I just think he's a bit thick!

Yeah I have done that, had to throw one rug out as the stench just wouldn't go. She is definitely the alpha between the two, and often a bit mean to her sister. However she will always cower behind her if we are out and a bigger dog has a go, basically a complete shitebag. 

As for the seawater thing, it was just because she has never done it before. Spent a good chunk of the day just finding puddles of seaweed over the place.

15 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Yeah I have done that, had to throw one rug out as the stench just wouldn't go. She is definitely the alpha between the two, and often a bit mean to her sister. However she will always cower behind her if we are out and a bigger dog has a go, basically a complete shitebag. 

You’ve basically described my youngest daughter here, dominates in house then needs the older two in real world 😂