SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Luna with her new front clip harness, will edit this post after the walk to see if it makes any difference with her pulling.20201019_174244.thumb.jpeg.fb1567a17bbf51bf806680eee4630f76.jpeg

After walk edit:

WHY ON EARTH DID I NOT BUY THIS SOONER?! Virtually no pulling whatsoever even when she tried to pull she couldn't. Would highly recommend one of these harnesses, will post a link if anyone is interested.

Luna with her new front clip harness, will edit this post after the walk to see if it makes any difference with her pulling.20201019_174244.thumb.jpeg.fb1567a17bbf51bf806680eee4630f76.jpeg

After walk edit:
WHY ON EARTH DID I NOT BUY THIS SOONER?! Virtually no pulling whatsoever even when she tried to pull she couldn't. Would highly recommend one of these harnesses, will post a link if anyone is interested.

She’s absolutely gorgeous!!!

We got enzo ( my boxer ) a K9 harness and it made no difference! He’s all pull from his chest, the wife can’t walk him because he is too excitable and wants to run..... would get one if they work!

She’s absolutely gorgeous!!!

We got enzo ( my boxer ) a K9 harness and it made no difference! He’s all pull from his chest, the wife can’t walk him because he is too excitable and wants to run..... would get one if they work!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V67NX24/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_i_hfEJFbYT9WAB2

This is the one we bought and I honestly couldn't believe how good it is, we got a medium but a large would've been better as she will grow out the medium quite quick.

We've tried all other sorts of harness including a head harness and this is the only thing that has worked, its early doors but fingers crossed.

ETA

This is the actual one we got but it's the same harness with a different pattern.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086Y97CTD/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_i_2oEJFb2E9MXZQ

On 18/10/2020 at 10:50, Rizzo said:

Very basically don't reward the dog by allowing her to pull (stop and shorten the lead if you have to). By permitting pulling you're only teaching that pulling is the best way to get to where she wants to be.

I'd start off walking in really low distraction area (a quiet car park for example) and mark with a verbal "yes" or "good" when the lead is loose and she's paying attention to you. You can give a treat if she is food motivated after you've said your marker word. Move in different directions, change direction quickly and reward for moving with you and keeping the lead slack.

Build up to areas with more distractions (e.g. move onto areas with grass, trees etc and then onto areas where there are likely to be more people and other dogs).

Essentially you want to make paying attention to you and keeping the lead slack to be more rewarding for her. Any "bad" behaviour a dog picks up is reinforced by them being rewarded in some way. For example a dog will continue to investigate kitchen counters if it managed to find food there at any point. This can also be made to work to your advantage though, you just have to be careful about which behaviours you reward.

We're going through the same thing with the dog we adopted in May. He had no training prior to us adopting him but he's coming on a lot better now. He walks on a lead fine but is still trying to engage with other dogs atm. My dog Skye was awful when we got her as well but is now pretty much bomb proof and walked off lead 99% of the time.

If I send you Renton for a few months can you send him back fixed? 

On 19/10/2020 at 17:45, Empty It said:

After walk edit:

That's great to hear.

My Renton tends to be mega-slow, rather than pull. He has to stop and sniff every single lamp post, doorway etc. It literally trebles the time it takes to get anywhere. Except when he sees a squirrel and bolts so fast he'd probably rip the arm clean off some folk. He's great off the lead on long walks though providing there are no dogs around with toys (he will steal them and bolt at 35mph) or folk having a picnic as he will steam in and eat anything. Had dogs when I was younger that were so clever and easy to train. Just think he's a sub-par hound, though very loveable. 

2 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

If I send you Renton for a few months can you send him back fixed? 

Morse says no unless you're OK with Renton being abused.

We were doing some place training tonight so had him jump up onto a bench but one of his back legs slipped and went down between two of the slats. Of course he panicked and made it ten times more difficult for me to get him free again. Luckily no damage done but I'm still being glared at now we're back home.🤣 

Only our dog could get out-witted by a bench.

Edited by Rizzo

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I can't remember if it was on this topic or not. Does anyone know of a site that takes your dogs picture and turns it into silly art like an army general etc? 

It might be www.crownandpaw.com hth if that is the bugger you were looking for.

If anybody's got a hound that is terrified of the fireworks, try one of these. It fits tight like a vest/jacket and calms him. Think we got it in Pets@Home a couple of years ago. Tried all the plug-in diffusers, didn't want to use meds, but this is the one thing that really helps.

20201027_102107.thumb.jpg.da40d2a10cd307c3b3cebb800c6e0cb9.jpg