SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

Guest Moomintroll
There is that certainly, I was worried we'd have to make a decision while not being entirely sure if it was the right one as well so we've avoided that situation.
I've managed to grab around 4 hours sleep but wound up on my laptop since 4am looking through photos that we want to have printed. So far I've managed to narrow it down to 74.
 I'm pretty sure this is the first photo I took of him, he'd been handed in to the dogs trust at 9yo after his elderly owner had to go into sheltered housing. He really struggled in the kennels and when we got him home he howled for around an hour solid. He quickly struck up a bond with hubby though and we had our other older dog at the time too so luckily he settled pretty quick.
jake_firstpic-scaled.jpg&key=38f81f7f5d75ef021c4fc903b224fcde829a159b869817074e5ec9404a7de144
He loved to play with balls.
jake007.jpg&key=1c60db370c3e4e4928b2d326dad3b15659fa20957102c3695683df655cdeaa4f
and sticks
jake010.jpg&key=b4ea766d392aa836eca766d6a540e1f9583afe286293a453d10caa643dfc4439
He really liked sticks
jake003.jpg&key=0fe90837f3a32f563f0813ac4105ad64b48482ce4eaf6e0e2c72e5e6a0b7f4a9
He did a few hills in his time, he was far more sure-footed than you'd think given he was having problems with his vision from the day we took him home. Off the top of my head he went up the Meikle bin in the campsies a good few times and also did 4 munros, a Corbett and Ben An.
jake014.jpg&key=6a627f1d7742eb8fac3bca01a4d4a616a29d9290e4326f0aeffe8caed20fb01d
He went on holiday with us up north and to the west coast quite a few times. Off the top of my head he's holidayed in Aberdeen, Inverness, John o Groats, Glen Feshie, the Isle of Mull, Blair Atholl and Tighnabruich.
He was the best mongrel at our wedding in 2018. The bandanna was a compromise as my MiL wanted him kitted out in a kilt. 
jake004.jpg&key=ffc06f4fe0e7de664dffc681836d774ce9d83d9f47e3b7746902a7144614cecd
He campaigned for the good guys in 2014
jake040-scaled.jpg&key=11521ac7349293609e6ae65d65ce540dde49631b1af49aad215f8ab7823a3b6d
In his younger days he was a really happy wee playful dog, not a bad bone in his body at all. It's only really been in the past 6 months that we ever really noticed him slowing down to any great degree and despite having his cancer it never really seemed to bother him that much. He had maybe 3 days that I'd have described as hard since he was diagnosed with it and the rest of the time he just took it easy. Our vet said last September that we might get a couple of months with him if we were lucky but we got four and a half. Overall he's not had a bad life at all I don't think.jake_bounce.gif&key=c1f47c31ba93d09fa15b1a6aa937484aec952f0fde9eab53667fbd55829878cc
This is the last photo I took of him on my big camera.
jake018.jpg&key=b4d3b03db1d672dfb27c8bcd1fa826bd9b470b473ce28e98c9a3d19bd4a0eea9

How is Skye? I remember when one of my Mum & her partner's Westies died & the other one was confused & inconsolable for weeks afterwards because she didn't understand where her pal had went. Sorry to hear it m9, hard just now when it is so raw but just remember the good times on the hills with the mad boy.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

How is Skye? I remember when one of my Mum & her partner's Westies died & the other one was confused & inconsolable for weeks afterwards because she didn't understand where her pal had went. Sorry to hear it m9, hard just now when it is so raw but just remember the good times on the hills with the mad boy.

She is pretty withdrawn this morning and doesn't seem to want her breakfast which isn't like her. When we lost my first dog she was put to sleep at home so Jake was able to see her body and he seemed to grasp the fact she had died pretty quickly. Skye hasn't had the benefit of that and I think she is really confused as to where he's gone. In saying that she knew there was something up with him as she kept on sniffing his tumor. :(

Guest Moomintroll
She is pretty withdrawn this morning and doesn't seem to want her breakfast which isn't like her. When we lost my first dog she was put to sleep at home so Jake was able to see her body and he seemed to grasp the fact she had died pretty quickly. Skye hasn't had the benefit of that and I think she is really confused as to where he's gone. In saying that she knew there was something up with him as she kept on sniffing his tumor. [emoji20]
Poor wee thing, hopefully she will be ok & will respond to all the attention she gets.

18 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
28 minutes ago, Rizzo said:
She is pretty withdrawn this morning and doesn't seem to want her breakfast which isn't like her. When we lost my first dog she was put to sleep at home so Jake was able to see her body and he seemed to grasp the fact she had died pretty quickly. Skye hasn't had the benefit of that and I think she is really confused as to where he's gone. In saying that she knew there was something up with him as she kept on sniffing his tumor. emoji20.png

Poor wee thing, hopefully she will be ok & will respond to all the attention she gets.

I hope so, we are both off tomorrow luckily and she normally goes out with our dog walker on a Tuesday and Thursday. I think hubby is trying to make arrangements for her to go to work with him on Wednesday and Friday so she won't be on her own at least.

30 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I hope so, we are both off tomorrow luckily and she normally goes out with our dog walker on a Tuesday and Thursday. I think hubby is trying to make arrangements for her to go to work with him on Wednesday and Friday so she won't be on her own at least.

Sorry about your fur buddy...I know how hard it is.

00000.jpg

3 hours ago, Rizzo said:

There is that certainly, I was worried we'd have to make a decision while not being entirely sure if it was the right one as well so we've avoided that situation.

I've managed to grab around 4 hours sleep but wound up on my laptop since 4am looking through photos that we want to have printed. So far I've managed to narrow it down to 74.

I'm pretty sure this is the first photo I took of him, he'd been handed in to the dogs trust at 9yo after his elderly owner had to go into sheltered housing. He really struggled in the kennels and when we got him home he howled for around an hour solid. He quickly struck up a bond with hubby though and we had our other older dog at the time too so luckily he settled pretty quick.

jake_firstpic-scaled.jpg

He loved to play with balls.

jake007.jpg

and sticks

jake010.jpg

He really liked sticks

jake003.jpg

He did a few hills in his time, he was far more sure-footed than you'd think given he was having problems with his vision from the day we took him home. Off the top of my head he went up the Meikle bin in the campsies a good few times and also did 4 munros, a Corbett and Ben An.

jake014.jpg

He went on holiday with us up north and to the west coast quite a few times. Off the top of my head he's holidayed in Aberdeen, Inverness, John o Groats, Glen Feshie, the Isle of Mull, Blair Atholl and Tighnabruich.

He was the best mongrel at our wedding in 2018. The bandanna was a compromise as my MiL wanted him kitted out in a kilt. 

jake004.jpg

He campaigned for the good guys in 2014

jake040-scaled.jpg

In his younger days he was a really happy wee playful dog, not a bad bone in his body at all. It's only really been in the past 6 months that we ever really noticed him slowing down to any great degree and despite having his cancer it never really seemed to bother him that much. He had maybe 3 days that I'd have described as hard since he was diagnosed with it and the rest of the time he just took it easy. Our vet said last September that we might get a couple of months with him if we were lucky but we got four and a half. Overall he's not had a bad life at all I don't think.

jake_bounce.gif

This is the last photo I took of him on my big camera.

jake018.jpg

Amazing photo's, I love his face in the video, well done Rizzo you gave him a lovely happy life, he might be gone but he's still spreading joy.

5 hours ago, Rizzo said:

You’ve given him a fine obituary there. This bit struck a chord as I was speaking to a wedding photographer the other day and he said he’d done a wedding where the best man and the bridesmaid were both dogs.

He had the unusual phone call before the wedding to say that unfortunately the best man had been put down (I’m sure a few brides would have wished this had been the case at their wedding) but not to worry as they’d got a new best man.

Well, we've had an interesting day.

Went to the supermarket, forgetting that we had left a box of Green & Black's Organic chocolate bars within the dogs' reach. Big mistake.

Luckily, we got back before they ate the lot, but they had eaten around 230 g of (mainly dark) chocolate, including 2 small bars that contained raisins.

Called the vet, who told us that 33 kg dogs could be in bother if they had eaten more than 110 g each . Obviously, we didn't know whether it was one or both of them that had had the chocolate, so we had to make them both sick it all up.

Vet gave them an injection each, and we had to watch them both vomiting for the next half hour. 

Since then, they've both been very quiet for the rest of the afternoon.

We've not had the bill yet, but I'm sure that an emergency call-out of nearly an hour won't be cheap. We won't be making that mistake again!

2018 Anwoth (20).JPG

Sorry for your loss Rizzo. I think just 'cos my dogs an old yin, I loved the photos of Jake you posted. Glad you got a little longer with him than the vet predicted and that he was mostly ok in his last few months. As has already been said, sounds like you and your hubby gave him a great life, he packed a lot of holidays and walks into the time you had him, what a great life you've given a senior dog. 

On 16/02/2020 at 18:10, lichtgilphead said:

Vet gave them an injection each, and we had to watch them both vomiting for the next half hour. 

We've not had the bill yet, but I'm sure that an emergency call-out of nearly an hour won't be cheap. We won't be making that mistake again!

Our dog did something similar, a very expensive box of chocolates it turned out to be. Was a while back now but think it cost around £200. They wanted to keep him in overnight for observation but we took him home due to the cost and thankfully he was ok. 

On 17/02/2020 at 21:10, s_dog said:

Our dog did something similar, a very expensive box of chocolates it turned out to be. Was a while back now but think it cost around £200. They wanted to keep him in overnight for observation but we took him home due to the cost and thankfully he was ok. 

Got the bill today - just over £300. 

At least they only charged for 1/2 an emergency consultation price for each of them!

On 16/02/2020 at 18:10, lichtgilphead said:

Well, we've had an interesting day.

Went to the supermarket, forgetting that we had left a box of Green & Black's Organic chocolate bars within the dogs' reach. Big mistake.

Luckily, we got back before they ate the lot, but they had eaten around 230 g of (mainly dark) chocolate, including 2 small bars that contained raisins.

Called the vet, who told us that 33 kg dogs could be in bother if they had eaten more than 110 g each . Obviously, we didn't know whether it was one or both of them that had had the chocolate, so we had to make them both sick it all up.

My grans old dog, that was living with my parents after she passed, once successfully stole, then ate, an entire bar of Cadburys fruit and nut. Parents got home late so didnt notice until the next morning (the dog was struggling to get about by this stage, never mind somehow climb onto the couch and table).

Dog didnt seem bothered at all by it.