SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

4 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Been trying to adopt/rescue a few dogs recently from various sources but it seems these homes don't like people who are about to have a child.

I wonder if they have had problems in the past with people who have adopted a dog, then had a newborn child only to find issues arise that meant the dog had to sadly be returned and they want to avoid this again.

If there was to be no such concerns by none of the people concerned then it seems strange not to let the dog go to a new permanent loving home.

1 minute ago, CaspianChris said:

I wonder if they have had problems in the past with people who have adopted a dog, then had a newborn child only to find issues arise that meant the dog had to sadly be returned and they want to avoid this again.

If there was to be no such concerns by none of the people concerned then it seems strange not to let the dog go to a new permanent loving home.

I understand a lot of the logic but I've met a few who won't adopt to a home with a child under school age.

Also even before my wife got pregnant I got frustrated with the process of adopting as they seemed to be taking the utter piss with some of the questions asked.

I've already adopted before and that was successful bit it seems everyone is treated as a risk until they can prove to be a good home for a dog in need.

They seem to force good honest people to go down the puppy route as it's 100X simpler and that saddens me greatly.

Adoption of a dog is not a simple quick process like when I got my last dog.

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Also even before my wife got pregnant I got frustrated with the process of adopting as they seemed to be taking the utter piss with some of the questions asked.

They seem to force good honest people to go down the puppy route as it's 100X simpler and that saddens me greatly.

It is a number of years ago but we did that with a with a dog but it was mum and dad who met with the person we got the dog from so I am not familiar with what would be asked or how it's changed unfortunately.

Even through they will be careful about where the dog goes it and they are needing people to adopt, it feels like they are being contradictory by making it as hard as possible for good people to adopt a dog unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I understand a lot of the logic but I've met a few who won't adopt to a home with a child under school age.

I've already adopted before and that was successful bit it seems everyone is treated as a risk until they can prove to be a good home for a dog in need.

I think one of the biggest issues for rescue shelters now is dogs being homed then returned ,it  can unsettle the dog which makes it harder to re-home in the future ,you are right that it's probably harder than it really should be but you tend to find that homes with young children involved tend to be the biggest issue for this so I understand why they are cautious.

By the way I'm not suggesting you'd return the dog,just saying in general.

4 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

I think one of the biggest issues for rescue shelters now is dogs being homed then returned ,it  can unsettle the dog which makes it harder to re-home in the future ,you are right that it's probably harder than it really should be but you tend to find that homes with young children involved tend to be the biggest issue for this so I understand why they are cautious.

By the way I'm not suggesting you'd return the dog,just saying in general.

Yeah I understand.

We got our 1st rescue because the original 1st home had issues with young child and dog.

Just seems we are stuck with either no dog or buy a puppy. A route I don't want to go down.

6 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

It is a number of years ago but we did that with a with a dog but it was mum and dad who met with the person we got the dog from so I am not familiar with what would be asked or how it's changed unfortunately.

Even through they will be careful about where the dog goes it and they are needing people to adopt, it feels like they are being contradictory by making it as hard as possible for good people to adopt a dog unfortunately.

Glad you added the 2nd paragraph. Felt I was being selfish saying it should be easier.

Decorating the new house so sleeping on a mattress on the living room floor like Jakey bams until Tuesday. Rosie the dog and the in-laws two cockers have decided it’s their new relaxing spot...delighted they were just home from their morning walk and absolutely filthy
IMG_4508.jpg
#cockerclub

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Just seems we are stuck with either no dog or buy a puppy. A route I don't want to go down.

Would you be interested in a greyhound? Young ones are often quite mental, so wouldn't be suitable, but occasionally, older dogs need rehomed too due to being returned or on death of the owner etc.

The quieter one of our two was 6 when we got him. As he had been in a house before, we didn't have to toilet train him and like all greyhounds, he only needs 3 short walks a day.

Only problem is that you need an enclosed garden/dog-run with 6 foot high fences all round.

Here's our two in their run in the heat last weekwnd

Image may contain: dog and outdoor

Send me a pm if you want any further details..

4 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Yeah I understand.

We got our 1st rescue because the original 1st home had issues with young child and dog.

Fife dog rescue might be able to match you with a dog. They often seem to have very young dogs or puppies.

As mentioned earlier in this thread I'm a dog walker, on Friday i walked my little buddy Sammie for the last time as her owners are moving out of town, it hit me so hard when it came to drop her off for the last time, been walking her for 5 years and developed quite a bond, not afraid to admit that tears were shed, here she is with her mates on her last walkIMG_20180706_120110.jpgIMG_20180628_115738.jpg

12 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Been there.

They don't adopt to homes wi kids

That's a shame, they've posted photos on their Facebook page of newly adopted dogs with kids before so I thought they'd maybe be OK.

Hope you get something sorted, I know Bandeath and the dogs trust in Glasgow certainly used to have a waiting list for puppies but nit sure if they still do.

19 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Glad you added the 2nd paragraph. Felt I was being selfish saying it should be easier.

16 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Would you be interested in a greyhound? Young ones are often quite mental, so wouldn't be suitable, but occasionally, older dogs need rehomed too due to being returned or on death of the owner etc.

The quieter one of our two was 6 when we got him. As he had been in a house before, we didn't have to toilet train him and like all greyhounds, he only needs 3 short walks a day.

Only problem is that you need an enclosed garden/dog-run with 6 foot high fences all round.

Was going to suggest "greyhound" to Gaz. We'd looked at getting one as we used to dog sit my pal's retired racing greyhound and she was such a great pet. Kids loved her, really lazy and affectionate and despite being the size of a small horse. They're incredible to watch when they run too if you get them to a park that's big enough or on the beach. 

21 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Been trying to adopt/rescue a few dogs recently from various sources but it seems these homes don't like people who are about to have a child.

Me and the wife are big fans of rescuing rather than buying a puppy and both believe in children growing up around animals as we both did but it seems a lost cause at the moment.

We were the same, in terms of finding it tough to adopt a dog.

We were initially paired up with a 1yr old cocker spaniel from West Calder dogs trust, but it fell through due to the dogs separation anxiety that was diagnosed when he arrived at the centre.  We'd been completely honest and said the dog would be home alone 2 mornings a week, for up to 4 hours.  It was being given up later that week as the current owner was pregnant.

So rather than come to us, the dog is kennelled 22 hours a day.  But I do understand why they are so picky.  They did offer me an 11yr old terrier, but I had put my dog down only the week before, and he was only 9.  It broke my heart and I just couldn't face the thought of an older dog and having that same heartache looming again.  I know anything can happen to a young dog too, but at the time it was out of the question for me.

In the end I'd kind of got my heart set on a cocker spaniel, so we went down getting a pup route.  I still maintain we'd have been great adopters to the dog from West Calder.  He is off their website now though, so he's gotten a home at least.

On 08/07/2018 at 20:30, lichtgilphead said:

I'd love a greyhound, more for the company as I live on my own than anything else, but my work lifestyle is too full on so I wouldn't be able to look after them properly. 

I'd also feel guilty bringing them into a flat environment as my flat is tiny and wouldn't be suitable for them at all. 

Definitely going to get one when I am old and retired though!