Car tax discs to be scrapped

FlyerTon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw this to.  Hard to be too critical, it was a decent idea but it looks like it has backfired spectacularly.

The right thing to do would be to monitor it for a bit longer then, if the trend is still the same, reintroduce the discs.  It might take some political courage to do it, but to say "yeah we were wrong about this and are going back to the old system" might win some plaudits.

It wasn't "a decent idea", virtually no research or costings went into it.

This was never about saving money, and it was always obvious that having less visible signs of whether a vehicle is taxed, and taking ANPR vans off the road, was always going to result in reduced revenue.

That isn't the point though. Like most of the Tories' moves regarding the public sector, this was never anything to do with saving money. It was a deliberate, ideology-driven, move to further reduce the number of people employed in the public sector.

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It wasn't "a decent idea", virtually no research or costings went into it.

This was never about saving money, and it was always obvious that having less visible signs of whether a vehicle is taxed, and taking ANPR vans off the road, was always going to result in reduced revenue.

That isn't the point though. Like most of the Tories' moves regarding the public sector, this was never anything to do with saving money. It was a deliberate, ideology-driven, move to further reduce the number of people employed in the public sector.

Wow.  I would have thought reducing the number of jobs and saving money was synonymous.

I am about as ideologically removed from Tory thinking as is possible but there’s job protection and there’s job protection.  If this had worked and removed unnecessary jobs that would have been fine; it’s a million miles removed from reducing jobs in the health service, education, social care, fire brigade, etc.

They weren't "unnecessary" jobs. Wow, that's about as condescending as you can get.

They were jobs that, as has since been proven, were of value as they brought in increased revenue. Just as, generally speaking, having more collectors of just about any form of tax, is going to increase the amount of tax you accrue.

This is not about saving money, it is about reducing the size of the public sector. Purely ideological.

Plus, the right have always wanted a large surplus of unemployed people as a means of keeping wages down in the private sector. Guaranteeing more money for their friends who own most of the private sector.

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A wild guess might be DVLA paid off staff as part of the savings from binning the discs. They now don't have enough staff to address compliance issues.

The government are capable of anything to  massage figures.

Whilst working at DWP there was concern at HQ Leeds and Whitehall about the levels of fraud. Genuine solution given to Fraud Team in Aberdeen - stop looking for fraud, if you don't look you won't find and the figures will go down.

The cars are out there with the DVLA either having neither the staff or inclanation to properly deal with it.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:52, peasy23 said:

Yep, a decent idea but forgot to factor in that a lot of people are c***s. Tbf I do know a lot of people who genuinely forgot to renew their tax when they had the date stuck to their window, so I would guess a lot more have forgot now they don't have a visual reminder.

I forgot mine last month They always send a reminder but not this time Got a letter in 3 weeks in to  October saying  that this was my last chance to pay it Was telling a friend about it He said I was not the first person he knows that this has happened to recently

On 11/17/2017 at 14:34, Bairnardo said:

If the c**t(s) who persist in releasing my driver details to private parking companies could lose their jobs that would be fine

this^ 

How is it not a major breach of the data protection act, personal details like address full name etc should never be disclosed to private companies, Police and courts are fair enough but not someone looking to make a quick buck.

Archived