Car tax discs to be scrapped

FlyerTon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to find a car same as mine in same colour ....and clone it's plates.

Seriously what's going to stop this and the parking tickets and speeding fines if someone does this with your plates?

I got sent a notice to pay the London Congestion charge. They said they had a photo of my number plate. I hadn't been outside Glasgow on the date. I sent them a letter explaining that and a list of people I had been at work with. My biggest regret is not just writing f**k off I wuzny near your shitehole city.

Time to find a car same as mine in same colour ....and clone it's plates.

Seriously what's going to stop this and the parking tickets and speeding fines if someone does this with your plates?

Nothing stops this under the status quo. You can clone a tax disc no less easily than a set of number plates.

• 2 months later...

If your tax disc is up at the end of this month, buy a year and you'll have the last tax disc ever:

30 09 15

Surely if this new thing starts on the first of October, you won't get a tax disc at the end of this month.

Mine is up at the end of the month and I feel a bit ripped off to be honest. I'm never going to get to put a brand new tax disc in my car. I won't ever get to try and tear carefully along the perforations without tearing the whole thing. Gutted. :(

Surely if this new thing starts on the first of October, you won't get a tax disc at the end of this month.

Mine is up at the end of the month and I feel a bit ripped off to be honest. I'm never going to get to put a brand new tax disc in my car. I won't ever get to try and tear carefully along the perforations without tearing the whole thing. Gutted. :(

Yeah, you will get one if your tax is up at the end of Sep.

If you buy a year, this can then be displayed until 30 Sep 2015, if you want to that is.

Yeah, you will get one if your tax is up at the end of Sep.

If you buy a year, this can then be displayed until 30 Sep 2015, if you want to that is.

Sorry, I'm probably just being dim but if the next tax year starts on the 1 Oct and this scheme comes in on the 1 Oct, you wouldn't need one, would you? If you were to tax your car online, would they really bother sending a disc out to you? What a waste of money! :lol:

New rules also from October if you sell a car you get the un-used tax back:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/504117/Paper-tax-discs-are-set-to-become-extinct

DVLA are now said to be printing their own tax discs in house on plain paper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/11059456/DVLA-about-to-run-out-of-tax-disc-paper.html

Post Office's will use the remainder of old stock.

• 2 weeks later...

New rules also from October if you sell a car you get the un-used tax back:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/504117/Paper-tax-discs-are-set-to-become-extinct

DVLA are now said to be printing their own tax discs in house on plain paper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/11059456/DVLA-about-to-run-out-of-tax-disc-paper.html

Post Office's will use the remainder of old stock.

This is true , got tax disc at start of month from DVLA . Pishy photocopy that had no perforation round edges . Had to cut the fucker out !

I taxed my car two weeks ago and got a proper disc with the perforation and everything.

The DVLA chap was on BBC Radio 2 a couple of weeks ago and when quizzed admitted theres virtually no way of stopping people cloning your number plates, and it was then revealed that the methods that are going to be getting used to try and stop this happening once tax discs disappear caught the grand total of zero people last year :lol: This could be horrendous

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Saw this story today.  Scrapping the tax disc was meant to save the Treasury £10million but since the new system was introduce the number of unlicensed vehicles has trebled and meant last year £107million of revenue was lost alone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42009111

Saw this to.  Hard to be too critical, it was a decent idea but it looks like it has backfired spectacularly.

The right thing to do would be to monitor it for a bit longer then, if the trend is still the same, reintroduce the discs.  It might take some political courage to do it, but to say "yeah we were wrong about this and are going back to the old system" might win some plaudits.

Saw this to.  Hard to be too critical, it was a decent idea but it looks like it has backfired spectacularly.
The right thing to do would be to monitor it for a bit longer then, if the trend is still the same, reintroduce the discs.  It might take some political courage to do it, but to say "yeah we were wrong about this and are going back to the old system" might win some plaudits.

Yep, a decent idea but forgot to factor in that a lot of people are c***s. Tbf I do know a lot of people who genuinely forgot to renew their tax when they had the date stuck to their window, so I would guess a lot more have forgot now they don't have a visual reminder.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If they do this the tories have won your vote?  

Correct me if I'm wrong but all cars have to be either taxed or sorn? You can't just let your tax expire, if you do you will get an automatic fine? 

So if there are 755000 "unlicensed" cars (ie neither taxed or SORNED) then that should be 755000 in automatic fines rolling in for the Treasury? 

Or are they stating that there are 755000 people driving about in cars that are declared SORN? If that's the case then how have they come up with that? Have they caught that many people? (in which case they have surely collected a shit load of fines) or is it an estimate extrapolated from the number of people they have caught? 

14 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but all cars have to be either taxed or sorn? You can't just let your tax expire, if you do you will get an automatic fine? 

So if there are 755000 "unlicensed" cars (ie neither taxed or SORNED) then that should be 755000 in automatic fines rolling in for the Treasury? 

Or are they stating that there are 755000 people driving about in cars that are declared SORN? If that's the case then how have they come up with that? Have they caught that many people? (in which case they have surely collected a shit load of fines) or is it an estimate extrapolated from the number of people they have caught? 

^^^this. How is it easier to avoid road tax when your car is directly linked to your name and address on a government database than when PC Cabe was patrolling the streets checking tax discs?

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

^^^this. How is it easier to avoid road tax when your car is directly linked to your name and address on a government database than when PC Cabe was patrolling the streets checking tax discs?

A wild guess might be DVLA paid off staff as part of the savings from binning the discs. They now don't have enough staff to address compliance issues.

Archived