Car tax discs to be scrapped

FlyerTon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just talking about it the the last time I renewed(August). Going into the Post Office or even sending away to DVLA is a stupidly outdated system, especially when everybody`s details are held(or should be) on the DVLA computer anyway. Anybody who has a mobile phone, credit/debit card is already paying into the big brother system anyway, daft argument.

As long as they keep rolling the classic car exemption, they can charge who they like when they like*. It goes up from 1973 to 1974 in January. Keep going up to 1976 and that will do nicely.

*From 2016

Was just talking about it the the last time I renewed(August). Going into the Post Office or even sending away to DVLA is a stupidly outdated system, especially when everybody`s details are held(or should be) on the DVLA computer anyway. Anybody who has a mobile phone, credit/debit card is already paying into the big brother system anyway, daft argument.

ive been renewing online for years

I hate the idea that I pay tolls on the French roads but they get our motorways for free over here. At least putting the extra tax on the fuel would even it out a bit. It wouldn't erase the National Debt but I'd feel less sense of injustice.

On the idea of cameras everywhere watching us, it has had the effect of reducing the number of idiots doing over the ton on the motorways endangering everyone else. On the M25 every motorway bridge, and there are lots, have speed cameras on them.

I quite like keeping post offices open, despite the privatisation robbery that has recently gone on.

Most Post Offices are now just part of a larger store anyway. For instance my local Post Office is inside a Scotmid store and the girls who work there are actually employed by Scotmid not the PO, even though they do wear PO uniform.

The roads are littered with ANPR cameras as it is, so the big brother state is well in force already.

Are they ? I genuinely thought there were very few fixed ANPR cameras in Scotland !?

There's a camera right next to our work that claims to be an ANPR camera and it got us to checking out locations on the net ... don't remember any coming up for Scotland !

As long as they keep rolling the classic car exemption, they can charge who they like when they like*. It goes up from 1973 to 1974 in January. Keep going up to 1976 and that will do nicely.

*From 2016

As for that particularly idiotic piece of policy, this may be the first time that the eligible date has been changed. Could be wrong it's certainly been 1973 for as long as I can remember and I am no spring chicken. I know one of the political parties talked about making all cars over 25 years of age exempt. That is far more sensible. However, as it will lose revenue for HMG, unlikely to happen.

As for that particularly idiotic piece of policy, this may be the first time that the eligible date has been changed. Could be wrong it's certainly been 1973 for as long as I can remember and I am no spring chicken. I know one of the political parties talked about making all cars over 25 years of age exempt. That is far more sensible. However, as it will lose revenue for HMG, unlikely to happen.

Labour abolished the rolling scheme by refusing to extend it when they came to power. It was previously whenever a car was older than 25 years old it became exempt. The Coalition have shifted it by a year in the last budget (effective January) to 1974 and there is a suggestion that it could continue with the classic car exemption being based on a rolling 40-year criteria.

Are they ? I genuinely thought there were very few fixed ANPR cameras in Scotland !?

There's a camera right next to our work that claims to be an ANPR camera and it got us to checking out locations on the net ... don't remember any coming up for Scotland !

According to this, the only one in Scotland is near Dunbar - https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217547757041314517647.0004a03ad9fbe9f40a116

Labour abolished the rolling scheme by refusing to extend it when they came to power. It was previously whenever a car was older than 25 years old it became exempt. The Coalition have shifted it by a year in the last budget (effective January) to 1974 and there is a suggestion that it could continue with the classic car exemption being based on a rolling 40-year criteria.

Thanks for that, 40 years old is still laughable. At least they are proposing a rolling scheme.

• 6 months later...

I can see quite a few problems, in that soon there will be no actual tax disc to remind folk, and they may end up forgetting and getting pulled up with no tax.

Only way you can tell if a car is taxed is to go on the DVLA website when this comes in?

ETA: £80 penalty if you forget to tax your car (there's several weeks 'leeway' but not sure exactly how many)

They are still going to send a reminder to the cars registered owner (if the remember to keep there address up to date)

Time to find a car same as mine in same colour ....and clone it's plates.

Seriously what's going to stop this and the parking tickets and speeding fines if someone does this with your plates?

What is to stop someone doing this now and racking up the speeding fines?

Archived