Car tax discs to be scrapped

FlyerTon

A new electronic system is being introduced and you will also be able to pay by monthly direct debit if you want (5% admin fee applies)

Six months tax will now cost 5% more pro rata to 12 months compared to the 10% it is now.

"The Telegraph's Steve Hawkes said, enforcing the digital system would entail greater use of surveillance cameras"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

Coming in from October next year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming it will be a gradual introduction and possibly not compulsory, yet.

On the subject, I read a ludicrous column recently from a pro-cycle lobbyist who claimed drivers were in the wrong as he perceived that they believed that as they pay 'road tax' they acted as if they had priority on the road to the endangerment of cyclists.

The crux of his argument was semantics. Yes, there is no such thing as 'road tax' in the literal sense of the word but it is a common colloquialism for a tax disc and is paid only by motorised drivers on the road. Imbecilic so it was.

Scrap it all together and put 10p onto petrol. That way no-one can cheat the system, if you're driving you're paying. It would also give the police less reason to stop you.

Scrap it all together and put 10p onto petrol. That way no-one can cheat the system, if you're driving you're paying. It would also give the police less reason to stop you.

I'll not be too keen on a 2000% rise due to your plan.

taking a cumbersome system and replacing it with another.idiotic.as another poster said,put an amount correctly worked out onto petrol prices,easier to administer and everyone using legal petrol pays;have more roadside checks for illegal red diesal use and confiscate(there and then)any cars caught

My mum's car is a wee diesel Ford Ka that costs £20 per year for her road tax. Putting 10p onto the cost of a litre of petrol would mean her road tax went up to about £150 per year. Not very fair.

My mum's car is a wee diesel Ford Ka that costs £20 per year for her road tax. Putting 10p onto the cost of a litre of petrol would mean her road tax went up to about £150 per year. Not very fair.

Neither is a sliding scale based on emmisions.

As much as some will lose out, a system whereby those using the roads the most pay the most is probably about as fair as it can get.

Archived