Helicopter crashes into Clutha pub, Glasgow

The Master

Looking at the photos on the big screen, they're actually far worse than I thought. Also reading on facebook that there was definitely a gig on, friends asking after friends that were there. Doesn't seem to be anyone I know personally though, thankfully.

More fire engines passing my house looking like they're on their way too.

Edited by Mrs M

Looking at the photos on the big screen, they're actually far worse than I thought. Also reading on facebook that there was definitely a gig on, friends asking after friends that were there. Doesn't seem to be anyone I know personally though, thankfully.

More fire engines passing my house looking like they're on their way too.

It was some ska band playing apparently. My facebook's been going mental - there appear to have been a few friends of friends there unfortunately.

Pretty frightening stuff. Awful both for the crew and those stuck in the pub. :(

ETA: Surprised that BBC don't yet have live footage at the scene given BBC Scotland HQ is so close by.

Edited by Ad Lib

I doubt the rotors would have inflicted much damage - the main rotor would most probably be driven by a free power turbine so the rotors aren't 'fixed' directly to the engines - they should come to a stop reasonably quickly during a collision !

Bloody WAFU's. :ph34r:

I noticed the guy that posted the first pic on twitter is being hounded by every journo going right now. Like flies round shit.

But generally an aircraft carrying fuel will. Aviation fuel is pretty volatile stuff.

Believe it or not aircraft are designed not to blow up if they crash. Obviously if something comes down from a couple of thousand feet it will but probably not from the altitude it would have been flying at.

Helicopters are generally pretty slow and low and the fuel tanks are protected within the main shell of the aircraft so are able to survive low altitude crashes better than winged aircraft.

Yeah the news channels are pretty useless this soon after incidents like this, just asking people who are pretty shaken up the same stupid questions over and over again (how hard is it to search for the pub on facebook to confirm that there was a gig on tonight?). Just have to wait for some proper news, really not looking encouraging with regards to avoiding deaths here.

Yeah the news channels are pretty useless this soon after incidents like this, just asking people who are pretty shaken up the same stupid questions over and over again (how hard is it to search for the pub on facebook to confirm that there was a gig on tonight?). Just have to wait for some proper news, really not looking encouraging with regards to avoiding deaths here.

"Is there a fire"

"No"

2 minutes later

"Is there a fire"

"*facepalm* No"

2 minutes later

"So is there a fire at all?"