MJ - The story so far!

Not all of them. There are players in our first team who are only £300-400 P/W.

However you paint the story, it's not a good news story and something we could do without.

I'm pretty sure we had a similar story after we won the cup.

As for finishing 9th, 8th, 7th etc. I think it's a flat bonus for staying up, no rising scale.

I do agree that the players were lucky to get any bonus last year, as they were honking for long spells. They should have reinbursed every fan that went to Tynecastle 3 games before the end of the season for a massive game, only to see them throw in the towel.

So these guys earn £1600 a month? A lot more than a large % of their support does.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all of them. There are players in our first team who are only £300-400 P/W.

Barbour, muirhead Johnston and possibly Slater I'd imagine you mean? I don't really see a problem with that at their age and the fact they all still have a lot to prove.

In fact I can think of a few senior players that I would have no problem with being on that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the news that Tommy Adams has been sacked/edged out.

Now I understand that Nicola Sturgeon that will have her own plans and ideas, and that she has to have scope to implement these. But dispensing with a guy like Tommy who bleeds blue and white doesn't make any sense. His services may indeed 'no longer be required' in his current capacity, but surely there's scope to keep such a hard working and diligent guy as Tommy on somewhere in the new structure?

We're continually told that Killie is a "community club", so why is one of the cogs of our links with said community being dispensed with?! We should be working together with these guys to build a better club. Whilst we're still a business, we can't neglect hard-working servants like Tommy who has done nothing but talk Killie up for years and years.

Hopefully the strength of feeling here will get back to Ms Sturgeon and she'll reconsider or at least find a place for Tommy in the new set-up.

Just read the news that Tommy Adams has been sacked/edged out.

Now I understand that Nicola Sturgeon that will have her own plans and ideas, and that she has to have scope to implement these. But dispensing with a guy like Tommy who bleeds blue and white doesn't make any sense. His services may indeed 'no longer be required' in his current capacity, but surely there's scope to keep such a hard working and diligent guy as Tommy on somewhere in the new structure?

We're continually told that Killie is a "community club", so why is one of the cogs of our links with said community being dispensed with?! We should be working together with these guys to build a better club. Whilst we're still a business, we can't neglect hard-working servants like Tommy who has done nothing but talk Killie up for years and years.

Hopefully the strength of feeling here will get back to Ms Sturgeon and she'll reconsider or at least find a place for Tommy in the new set-up.

That's ridiculous if that's true. Have you seen it confirmed? I know tommy well personally but haven't heard about that. Again I may just have missed it, if it's true I'll be genuinely upset. He's a great servant to the club and would work for free if he had too. Strange.

Hopefully Anne Clark doesn't suffer the same fate, such a lovely woman and has been at the club since the fleeting's were there.

That's ridiculous if that's true. Have you seen it confirmed? I know tommy well personally but haven't heard about that. Again I may just have missed it, if it's true I'll be genuinely upset. He's a great servant to the club and would work for free if he had too. Strange.

Hopefully Anne Clark doesn't suffer the same fate, such a lovely woman and has been at the club since the fleeting's were there.

Tommy has confirmed it himself, and will be staying away from Rugby Park from now on.

Considering how short a football career can be its f*ck all to be fair

Yep, £1600 a month is a fair whack short of the average UK wage and in such a short career you can't blame any Scottish players going to English lower leagues if that's all they can make here.

Barbour, muirhead Johnston and possibly Slater I'd imagine you mean? I don't really see a problem with that at their age and the fact they all still have a lot to prove.

In fact I can think of a few senior players that I would have no problem with being on that as well.

You know senior players who'd be happy on 15k a year?

Behave.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just getting silly now...

At the time of the first 'story' getting released the actual facts were thin on the ground. Now it seems that real truth behind this has came out. Fully behind the players here.

IT started as an in-house pay dispute.

It’s become all-out civil war.

SunSport can today lift the lid on the behind-the-scenes crisis which threatens to tear Kilmarnock apart.

The Rugby Park side have won five games out of nine, drawing twice, to sit fourth in the league with 17 points.

It has been a stunning start to the season on the pitch by Allan Johnston’s side.

Off it, though, Killie’s squad are sickened by chairman Michael Johnston’s refusal to negotiate a bonus deal.

PFA Scotland officials have stepped in to try and reach a compromise but so far they have got nowhere.

And now, in a sensational interview, the Killie squad have decided to tell all in an exclusive sit-down with SunSport.

One player, speaking on behalf of the first-team group, revealed: “There is now major unrest amongst the players over the issue with the bonuses.

“The anger is only exacerbated by the fact the club is doing nothing to sort it out.

“Every team in the Scottish Premiership gets a bonus. The ordinary man on the street may argue against that but it’s the way football works.

“The boys at Kilmarnock don’t get paid fortunes. None of us are millionaires. We get relatively low wages, especially the younger lads, and we don’t make huge amounts.

“Bonuses work as an incentive in many lines of work and that’s the way in football. It’s not stopping us from going into a game and giving our best. Just look at our form.

“But enough’s enough. We’ve been taken for a ride for too long and we’re not prepared to let it go any longer.”

The Killie stars want a deal in line with their Premiership rivals.

Their suggestion would see them paid an amount for finishing in the top six, with NOTHING other than individual win bonuses if they finish in the bottom half of the table.

But chairman Johnston’s one and only offer would see them share £20,000 for finishing tenth or higher in the league.

The player, who didn’t wish to be named, added: “Put it this way, it’s the same deal we were offered when the club was £9million in debt.

“The crux of the matter is the players aren’t looking for something the club can’t afford. We don’t even expect the money every month. We’ve offered to take it at the end of the season so there are no cash-flow issues.

“The proposal we’ve given to the club would still, as far as we’re aware, be the WORST in the Premiership.

“It’s not like we’re asking the club to cough up money it doesn’t have either because it would be dependant on success.

“We don’t want a pot of money for finishing tenth but if we get the club into fifth or sixth and the club earns X amount, why shouldn’t some of that go to the players?

“That’s how it works at every other top-flight club so it’s not like we’re demanding something extraordinary.

“But Michael Johnston has basically said ‘That’s what you’re getting, deal with it’.

“There’s been no negotiating. Usually three or four players go and see the chairman at the start of the season to sort out the bonuses. After a bit of toing and froing there will be an agreement.

“But we tried to get this sorted out when we came back for the first day of pre-season and we’ve got nowhere. The boys have had enough.

“We’re 100 per cent together on this and the gaffer knows how we feel about it. He’s in a difficult position but we know we’ve got his full backing on this.

“What we can’t understand is that Michael Johnston seems to be the man making all the decisions, the same way the club was run before there was a board of directors.

“Well they should know this situation has caused a civil war at the club and if it’s not sorted out it’s only going to get worse.

“The players do a lot for the club in our free time and show goodwill to the club. It’s already a major, major issue which is affecting the dressing room and causing the manager problems.”

The dispute has actually been running since last season but Killie’s stars refused to play hard-ball with the club when it was battling against financial difficulties.

It was only at the end of the season that director Billy Bowie — a popular local businessman — helped finance a one-off payment as a thank-you to the players.

The player added: “This is the second season the players have been playing without an agreed bonus.

“Financially the club was in trouble a year ago so we agreed the right thing to do would be to wait until the club sorted itself out.

“A deal was being done to make the club debt free and that went through in March.

“At that point we went back to the club to try and get the situation resolved but it never happened.

“We were fighting for our lives in the league so we decided to focus on that. We put the club first. We spoke about it and said the best thing would be to concentrate on getting the club safe from relegation then look at it again.

“We did that and after Kilmarnock stayed up the club made a gesture financially to give the players a payment.

“I say gesture because it was the kind of money teams in the Second Division split.

“The agreement at that point was that we’d sit down ahead of this season and strike a deal which was in line with the other clubs in the Premiership.

“But that’s not happened and we’re at the end of our tether.

“The ball is in the club’s court. It’s up to them to think carefully what they do next.”

Killie chairman Johnston last night told SunSport: “The bonus discussion is something we hope to resolve but it’s not as though the players are not receiving a bonus. It’s simply a matter of the quantum of the bonus not satisfying a few of the senior players.

“But we’ve had dialogue with Fraser Wishart at the SPFA. I have raised a number of questions with him and I await his reply.

“The bottom line is we need to live within our means. The club has come through a very difficult period financially.

“We finally eliminated our bank debt in March so it’s important the club lives within its means and doesn’t start incurring new debt.

“This has all been explained to the senior players.”

I am still in the dark what's happening. Nobody is banding about any figures. They're moaning about what they're not getting that everybody else getting but not letting on what it is. Then there's the Minister of Nonpropergander MJ who never says anything leaving everybody in the dark. The Sun, if your going to be the mouthpieces of the disgruntled senior players at least tell us something.

Just took it from that article

'Their suggestion would see them paid an amount for finishing in the top six, with NOTHING other than individual win bonuses if they finish in the bottom half of the table.'

But that may mean they are requesting win bonuses as well I guess.

Archived