MJ - The story so far!

Whole article:

MICHAEL JOHNSTON last night insisted he won’t sell Kilmarnock to the fans for personal profit.

But he promised to stand down as chairman if it would appease punters unhappy with his running of the club.

Johnston made that vow as he outlined new plans for Killie that include:

* Two new investors each putting a six-figure sum into the Rugby Park outfit.

* The formation of the Kilmarnock Community Engagement board, co-opting local politicians to help with the running of the club.

* A restructuring of the debt by splitting the football operation and the hotel adjacent to Rugby Park into two separate companies.

Johnston was last week asked to name his price for his shares by the Killie Community Working Party, backed by Supporters Direct Scotland.

That move followed the collapse of interest in taking over Kilmarnock shown by a consortium of local businessmen.

Last night Johnston broke his silence on both issues and told Record Sport about his vision of the future.

He said: “What I’m after is new investment and there are two six-figure investors lined up.

“I’m not looking to sell shares for personal profit. I want fresh capital for the club in the midst of a restructuring plan.

“I’m looking for people who want to help Killie by buying new shares that would merit them taking a seat on the board.

“The way forward is not going to be achieved simply by me selling my shares.”

Johnston also has no interest in any scheme to buy the club over once he has got rid of its historical debt, which is understood to be £9million.

He said: “That would seem like an unusual proposition to me. I’ve put in 11 years of hard work at Rugby Park, eight of them as chairman, but I’m constantly surprised by some of the novel schemes that are suggested.

“However, I’m open to the idea of the club having a new chairman if there are people on the new board who are unhappy and want me removed.”

In the meantime, Johnston has promised there’s no danger of Killie going into administration.

He said: “We’re looking at the football club and hotel being split into separate companies. But there’s no danger of any insolvency event for either.

“Good things are happening at Killie and positive news will be announced over the coming weeks. A new board containing local politicians and businessmen has long been an idea of mine and a pathway has been mapped out concerning debt restructuring.

“There are other, confidential plans I can’t go into at the moment. But instead of groups putting money in a war chest with the idea of gaining a
controlling interest, they would be better off putting it towards Killie’s working capital for the future.” profile.gif find.gif u2u.gif

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been making that same promise for years now and yet nothing ever happens. It depresses me that anyone would believe him.

It has also been reported today in the Kilmarnock Standard that Billy Bowie doesn't have any shares in the club at all. That's despite MJ announcing that he was now the second biggest shareholder in the club.

So Billy Bowie and Michael Johnston have both said things to the press that have been found to be lies? Or is it simply the case that Bowie isn't a "shareholder" in the club, but is in the "Park Hotel Ayrshire Ltd" that was created a few months back? I imagine MJ informing the press of the new company on the same day that the Kilmarnock Standard article comes out was simply to 'cover his tracks' so-to-speak.

In the DR article, it strikes me that the words "I'll stand down" are added as a caveat to try and appease the fans that will be annoyed about him turning down the community group offer. Of course, he covers himself by saying that it would be if "there are people on the new board that are unhappy"- however that seems highly unlikely considering that MJ himself has the final say on those joining said board.

There's little or nothing in the DR article of any real substance, and it certainly doesn't merit a back-page story.

So Billy Bowie and Michael Johnston have both said things to the press that have been found to be lies? Or is it simply the case that Bowie isn't a "shareholder" in the club, but is in the "Park Hotel Ayrshire Ltd" that was created a few months back? I imagine MJ informing the press of the new company on the same day that the Kilmarnock Standard article comes out was simply to 'cover his tracks' so-to-speak.

This statement on the club's website unequivocally states that Billy Bowie has become the CLUB's second largest shareholder and that he will take his place on the board of directors.

Neither of these things appear to be true.

This statement on the club's website unequivocally states that Billy Bowie has become the CLUB's second largest shareholder and that he will take his place on the board of directors.

I know it's semantics CraigKillie but it does say "is going to invest and will take up a place on the board" rather than "has invested and has taken a place on the board".

Lawyers can be slippery, are very often clever wordsmiths and it was probably deliberately misleading by suggestion that these things had been concluded but until Billy Bowie states that he is no longer going to invest and/or take up a place on the board then it is still in the pipeline as per the statement.

As 'weebud' says, the article suggests he will invest, rather than has invested. Maybe before you criticise a statement you should actually read it first, eh? ;)

Seriously though, what I find more interesting, is the Billy Bowie interview with (shock horror) the Daily Record where he says:

“I’ve put in more than a million pounds this week because I want to put an end to negativity as a down payment on a better future."

That appears to be the only time in either article when one of the protagonists breaks cover, and is quoted saying something that can't be interpreted in another way. Will the accounts that have to be registered with Companies House this month show that?

I know it's semantics CraigKillie but it does say "is going to invest and will take up a place on the board" rather than "has invested and has taken a place on the board".

Lawyers can be slippery, are very often clever wordsmiths and it was probably deliberately misleading by suggestion that these things had been concluded but until Billy Bowie states that he is no longer going to invest and/or take up a place on the board then it is still in the pipeline as per the statement.

The article uses both tenses. The headline being 'Local Businessman Invests in Kilmarnock FC' as well as the quotes you mention. Our Chairman also welcomes him to the board which can only add to the interpretation craigkillie takes. Think the first bit of your summation is about as accurate as it gets in relation to the recent communications from the club.

The article uses both tenses. The headline being 'Local Businessman Invests in Kilmarnock FC' as well as the quotes you mention. Our Chairman also welcomes him to the board which can only add to the interpretation craigkillie takes. Think the first bit of your summation is about as accurate as it gets in relation to the recent communications from the club.

And Bowie has said that he has invested. Of course, investing doesn't necessarily mean immediate board status.

Killieshire, I have no vested interest whatsoever and am only throwing open an interpretation on what the statement says.

"Invests" doesn't necessarily mean money for shares either although again I would suggest there is inference and again "welcomes to the board" doesn't necessarily state has joined the board right now.

As I said earlier I think it's slippery and potentially misleading (I'd just call it lawyer speak) but there is wriggle room available if required. Billy Bowie would appear to have been equally as "cloudy" in his claims.

As I mentioned in my post earlier it's all semantics but I think there is a situation that has developed where no matter what MJ says he will be criticised and accused of untruths and others will be given the licence of interpretation.

In the DR article, it strikes me that the words "I'll stand down" are added as a caveat to try and appease the fans that will be annoyed about him turning down the community group offer. Of course, he covers himself by saying that it would be if "there are people on the new board that are unhappy"- however that seems highly unlikely considering that MJ himself has the final say on those joining said board.

There's little or nothing in the DR article of any real substance, and it certainly doesn't merit a back-page story.

In other words, MJ said alot of words without actually saying anything.

Wouldn't believe a word that comes out his mouth.

Bowie listed as Director one week in Programme, following week versus County he disappears.

And Bowie has said that he has invested. Of course, investing doesn't necessarily mean immediate board status.

Absolutely but the Chairman/ majority Shareholder welcoming you to the Board of Directors in the same article is definitely disingenuous if he was not going to join the board immediately. Why would you welcome him months ago then not action it when it is completely in your power to do this?

As 'weebud' says, the article suggests he will invest, rather than has invested. Maybe before you criticise a statement you should actually read it first, eh? ;)

Seriously though, what I find more interesting, is the Billy Bowie interview with (shock horror) the Daily Record where he says:

That appears to be the only time in either article when one of the protagonists breaks cover, and is quoted saying something that can't be interpreted in another way. Will the accounts that have to be registered with Companies House this month show that?

No, as they were up and til 31st May 2013.

IF he has any shares by 31st December, it should have been in Annual Return (up until 31st December 2013) which was submitted to Companies House last week. He wasn't on the list and the Trust still 2nd largest shareholder.

He wasn't even mentioned in the Annual Return or listed as a Director, which is bizarre for somebody who is contnually referred to as a Director by MJ.

Whole thing stinks.

Killieshire, I have no vested interest whatsoever and am only throwing open an interpretation on what the statement says.

"Invests" doesn't necessarily mean money for shares either although again I would suggest there is inference and again "welcomes to the board" doesn't necessarily state has joined the board right now.

As I said earlier I think it's slippery and potentially misleading (I'd just call it lawyer speak) but there is wriggle room available if required. Billy Bowie would appear to have been equally as "cloudy" in his claims.

As I mentioned in my post earlier it's all semantics but I think there is a situation that has developed where no matter what MJ says he will be criticised and accused of untruths and others will be given the licence of interpretation.

Sorry if you read it that I was implying you had a vested interest weebud, certainly wasn't meant that way. In fact I was more agreeing with the point you made that I highlighted in bold.

Absolutely but the Chairman/ majority Shareholder welcoming you to the Board of Directors in the same article is definitely disingenuous if he was not going to join the board immediately. Why would you welcome him months ago then not action it when it is completely in your power to do this?

The only reason IMHO is that he had no intention of joining the 'football board' but was in-fact joining the board of the hotel if/when it was created.

Probably because he is incapable of telling the truth in a straight forward manner.

Archived