Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

28 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Could Tory actually be switching to the Greens?!  Crazy if so.

Or maybe the new independent candidates are mopping up the votes.  Would be interested to know what they stand for.

Its pointless extracting anything from  a single council seat result.

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

This is the argument you hear isn't it, from pro-fptp types, you'll only end up with fringe nutters in parliament. 

Is it not better having them out in the open (and make their supporters feel represented) than them puppeteer the direction of traffic of the elected gov? 

Talking of fringe nutters, the DUP practically ran Westminster under May's second term, and under FPTP.

Interesting wee story about Panelbase getting a finding against them for leading questions in a poll commissioned by Wings.

The questions seem hilariously unbalanced to me, I didn’t actually realise there was a regulator (of sorts) for this.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting wee story about Panelbase getting a finding against them for leading questions in a poll commissioned by Wings.

The questions seem hilariously unbalanced to me, I didn’t actually realise there was a regulator (of sorts) for this.

Wings misleading people - shocked - I am not.

On 04/03/2023 at 12:22, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.401efb08d65bfa1f98a03baa88fa0105.png

At Westminster Hythe is part of Folkestone & Hythe which has been Tory since it's creation in 1950.

By a strange coincidence I'll be meeting a Hythe resident this coming Tuesday night.  I'll try and get his take on this.

Yeah but around 30% probably think it is an independent country.

There's no other country in the world quite like the UK, yes federal countries have big states but none have one constituent more than 6 times the size of the others combined.

It's a mental way to run a country tbh.

13 hours ago, GTee said:

I'd be interested in a polling company doing the following in England - Should England be an independent country?   Reckon it would be at least 55% yes.

image.png.7e3610c4082034793ff61311c4a4650e.png

Edited by Suspect Device

5 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

image.png.7e3610c4082034793ff61311c4a4650e.png

They would probably be similar results for casting off London or Cornwall.

Doesn't always work, Malaysia cast off a vulnerable declining Singapore only to see it quickly surpass it in every meaningful way.

Edited by Satoshi

10 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

They would probably be similar results for casting off London or Cornwall.

Doesn't always work, Malaysia cast off a vulnerable declining Singapore only to see it quickly surpass it in every meaningful way.

I was actually surprised that it was only 50/50. Thought that there would be far more support for an independent England given how they've been fed the narrative for so long that we are just sponging off them.

Can't see them wanting rid of London though. Maybe among the rabid 'gammon's who hate the multicultural aspect of the capital.

Probably one of the key factors  keeping down a viable London independence campaign is their fairly limited access to the sea (compared to, say, Singapore). Economically, London doesn't particularly benefit from a northern English hinterland but it will keep sapping the most talented people from all over the British isles.

Like most capitals it's the least "English" part of England and most English people don't like it (in my experience). 

Would be interested into how that poll turns out for, say Gibraltar, isle of mann or channel islands.

Probably the only place people will consistently want to keep is the Falkland Islands.

As to why it's so high, people in England think about Scotland as much (or less) as people in Scotland think about Northern Ireland. It's a nice place for the Harry potter train and whisky, most people won't care beyond that one way or the other. Plenty are probably annoyed it makes the news at all.

Edited by Satoshi

9 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I was actually surprised that it was only 50/50. Thought that there would be far more support for an independent England given how they've been fed the narrative for so long that we are just sponging off them.

Can't see them wanting rid of London though. Maybe among the rabid 'gammon's who hate the multicultural aspect of the capital.

Red Ken used to spend most weeks complaining about how much money Scotland got compared to London. He was never off the London news talking about it.

18 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Yeah but around 30% probably think it is an independent country.

There's no other country in the world quite like the UK, yes federal countries have big states but none have one constituent more than 6 times the size of the others combined.

It's a mental way to run a country tbh.

That's not *quite* true.  Denmark has a population of about 6million, while both Greenland and the Faroe Islands are around the 60,000ish mark.  Though granted Greenland and the Faroes are both essentially independent nor part of (largely) the same land mass.  There'll be other major differences too I grant you.

Edited by Highland Capital

Yeah indeed, and they seem more colonial possessions with Greenland also having major ethnic differences.

The Faroe Islands, whose closest neighbour is Scotland, consider themselves pretty much independent from Denmark.

But it's probably the closest to the UK in terms of demographic makeup you're right.

On 05/03/2023 at 19:32, ICTChris said:

Great picture! :lol:

New monthly tracker from Redfield and Wilton is a bit of a sair fecht. Will he interesting to see if the more established pollsters see those big pro Labour swings.

In fairness, with an SNP leadership contest ongoing, I was expecting a depression in the SNP vote.

1 hour ago, renton said:

New monthly tracker from Redfield and Wilton is a bit of a sair fecht. Will he interesting to see if the more established pollsters see those big pro Labour swings.

In fairness, with an SNP leadership contest ongoing, I was expecting a depression in the SNP vote.

Pretty much as expected tbh.. :(

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pretty much as expected tbh.. :(

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton

I dunno, Lib Dems up by 6, Greens up by 2. Absolutely will have been a swing to Labour but need to see if it's the same depth in other pollsters. Even then, was guaranteed to happen with a leadership election.