Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

http://duncanstephen.co.uk/why-i-will-be-voting-no-thanks/

This link seems to be getting posted from the majority of No voters I know(Mainly the bit about it being Scottish politicians that started and funded the Iraq war)

Any of the YES voters on here care to debunk his theories?(mainly because I'm too lazy :P )

Who is he? Has he been places, done things?

Retired Unionist activist.

He notes that the Yes campaign wants you to believe that a vote for independence would automatically make Scotland a better place. Then notes 'That is not true.'

Yes, it isn't true. I suspect he just made that up. Obviously there would be a negotiation period after a Yes vote and an independent Scotland would have to work at making Scotland a better place.

The rest is a bit of a history lesson. Independence is the future.

I agree with some of his stuff about believing in independence for people, but personally I feel we would achieve this more effectively in a smaller country.

After that, first mention of 'danger'...that's plenty.

Edited by Scary Bear

This link seems to be getting posted from the majority of No voters I know(Mainly the bit about it being Scottish politicians that started and funded the Iraq war)

Any of the YES voters on here care to debunk his theories?(mainly because I'm too lazy :P )

NAW,he talks shite.

Tick tock.

Why don't you tell us all again how not bothered you are?

When have I said I wasn't bothered?

I just heard a poll showing YES in the lead was getting released yesterday...?

Another YouGov poll this weekend

Also, a Panelbase and a Daily Record Survation to be released.

Obvious eye catcher would be if the Yes side went ahead in any of the polls. Other than that the only interest would be if any side takes at least a 5 point lead.

Going into the vote it looks like most polls will show it being neck and neck....

I had a quick look.

He implies that because things were invented in Scotland when we were in the Union, that as an independent country we could not achieve such inventions.

He also uses the US political system as a demonstration of why division should be tolerated. A political system that shut down their entire government for a month, but hey let's not talk about that.

There are many many points in his piece that are open to rebuttal, I just honestly don't have the time.

Yes, but same rules apply. People will vote for what they feel is the social norm; or more precisely the most popular opinion. I'm not saying the majority of people do this, but a sizable number will do and to claim it's rubbish is just silly.

You have no evidence at all to support this claim.

Same rules apply do they? Do you have another course text to back this up?

"sizeable number" :lol:

Looks like he'll be scrambling about Bartels 1988; Lavrakas et al. 1991; Nadeau et al. 1994; and Mehrabian 1998 - the author doesn't explicitly explain the phenomenon of the 'bandwagon' effect. Even then he concedes that "group pressure and interpersonal conformity" may have a "much stronger effect" than the bandwagon theory.

That's ignoring that the author states: "Voting for political parties or presidential candidates is less clearly linked to conformity than participation in national elections".

And that's being kinder and forgetting that the author states at the beginning of the results section: "It is beyond the reach of the analysis, however, to assess how conformist voting behavior might have affected national politics in any country".

Not only does the data not refer to referendums on independence, but it doesn't actually matter that fucking much to what the data actually applies to.

WeeperDee :lol:

Shocked that Weeper has disappeared after these exchanges, now who was being "silly"?

When have I said I wasn't bothered?

I just heard a poll showing YES in the lead was getting released yesterday...?

No still well ahead in the poll-of-polls. Nothing to worry about Lex. In fact, you probably don't even need to bother to vote.

So you are bothered?

About the referendum yes.

When's this poll with yes ahead coming out? Or has it been covered up by Westminster/MI5/The Royal Family/The Illuminati again?

About the referendum yes.

When's this poll with yes ahead coming out? Or has it been covered up by Westminster/MI5/The Royal Family/The Illuminati again?

You seem rather touchy about this poll. I don't recall anyone getting secretive about it. It'll be out when it's out.

Are you still swaggeringly confident about an easy No win?

You seem rather touchy about this poll. I don't recall anyone getting secretive about it. It'll be out when it's out.

Can I just check - has anyone been storing all the best posts by the likes of H_B and Lex to pour over again if Yes manage to do this? I certainly hope so...

Can I just check - has anyone been storing all the best posts by the likes of H_B and Lex to pour over again if Yes manage to do this? I certainly hope so...

I shall certainly be treating young Lexington and Anthony C Pick with the greatest of respect and won't be gloating in the slightest in the event of a Yes vote.

:ph34r:

Well it was due to be released two days ago according to several sources.

I was merely enquiring as to the hold up.

And yes I am.

Are you still swaggeringly confident about a yes win?

Jeez, don't you have anything better to do?:lol:

Well it was due to be released two days ago according to several sources.

I was merely enquiring as to the hold up.

And yes I am.

Are you still swaggeringly confident about a yes win?

Can you provide said sources? It was my understanding it's due out over the weekend at some point.

Yes, Yes I am.