Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

How?

Do you think that people who live outside of Scotland should get a vote when Yes voters are complaining that they currently don't get what they vote for because of the votes that come from the rest of the UK?

I see it as Mr Bairn's acquaintances saying "I think that only the people living in Scotland should decide on Scottish matters... except just now where it should opened up elsewhere". That's surely contradictive???

TBF, you could equally say that an iScotland would be more attractive to people from England/Wales/NI too so why not give them a vote as well?

It's like saying that Alex Ferguson should still be allowed to pick the team at ManU.

It's like saying that Alex Ferguson should still be allowed to pick the team at ManU.

I am not arguing that Scots living outside of Scotland should get the vote (which I get the feeling you're thinking). I don't see how they can complain about this, especially the ones that feel that Scotland's policies should be decided by the people of Scotland (i.e. would be Yes voters). Being born in Scotland and living in England does not make them one of 'the people of Scotland'.

TBF, you could equally say that an iScotland would be more attractive to people from England/Wales/NI too so why not give them a vote as well?

I actually see a lot of merit in this decision being made by the whole of the UK, the only issue, and it is a fairly major one, would be if Scotland votes one way and rUK another.

If Scotland votes Yes and rUK No, are we forced to stay? If Scotland votes No and rUK votes Yes, are we forced to leave? As much as it would be fair in a lot of ways to give them a say on it, the potential for far more problems than it is worth would arise.

Cameron and Co must be shitting themselves now.

We still have Farage and the Orange Order to arrive in town as well.

As good as that might be it's not about engaging them now.

Arguing with the staunch NOs, are not only a lost cause, but will be off-putting to the soft NOs and undecideds from the outside looking in. Let's focus on those on engaging with those voters.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

I am not arguing that Scots living outside of Scotland should get the vote (which I get the feeling you're thinking). I don't see how they can complain about this, especially the ones that feel that Scotland's policies should be decided by the people of Scotland (i.e. would be Yes voters). Being born in Scotland and living in England does not make them one of 'the people of Scotland'.

I know one guy who has left to work down south - and he is a fairly firm No. I don't think the Scots living in the rest of the UK will be mainly Yes voters - which is why there was so much confusion over your point. Its based on a false premise.

Its enjoyable seeing the panic in the No campaign - but Confidemus is right - the full weight of the establishment will be thrown at the campaign in the next fortnight. Its a brace yourself moment...

The YouGov poll certainly is an interesting one. A lot of people are now realise this is a once in a generation, if not a lifetime chance to take care of our own destiny. I've seen hard line No voters switch to Yes in the last week or so hence why I put that thread up last week asking if people normally vote and what their stance was a few months ago. On facebook I've seen friends who previously liked Better Together upload new profile pictures with the Yes twibbon.

I was undecided up until a month and a bit ago when I saw past the scaremongering that an independent Scotland would crash and be unsuccessful.

Darling having to admit that Scotland would be a successful independent nation really was glorious. For me it was like my mum saying years back "don't move out of the family home, what if you end up on minimum wage being burdened by your own rent, council tax etc" but then being told by her that it's likely that I'd fall back on an average wage if things didn't go as planned. Looking back, a large part of the reason she wanted me to stay was probably that she'd lose the digs money and it would cost her more as a result.

I know one guy who has left to work down south - and he is a fairly firm No. I don't think the Scots living in the rest of the UK will be mainly Yes voters - which is why there was so much confusion over your point. Its based on a false premise.

They're also the ones much more likely to come up with the quote of "why should I vote to add a border between myself and my family back up north?". Incredibly lame and selfish when you consider that we're also voting for the better good of our future generations imo.

The other way around, my step-dad who grew up in Lancashire and will be voting No has already come out with that one. <_<

Edited by Hedgecutter

They're also the ones much more likely to come up with the quote of "why should I vote to add a border between myself and my family back up north?". Incredibly lame and selfish when you consider that we're also voting for the better good of our future generations imo.

The other way around, my step-dad who grew up in Lancashire and will be voting No has already come out with that one. <_<

If you're feeling brave and outwith spitting distance, the next time that approach is taken, just ask what is wrong with foreigners or people who live across borders. You can see the internal struggle as they try to come up with something that is some how justifiable without being obviously xenophobic or racist.

This is just the polls correcting themselves ahead of the vote. We're seeing a general move towards a realistic margin of defeat for Yes. Around the 4-6% mark which most sensible people have been predicting for some time.

What's probably most interesting is this :-

"made particular progress amongst the less well-off C2DE social groups, at whom much of its campaigning has been targeted in recent weeks"

This really should be Yes's focus. Obviously it's no surprise that amongst the wealthier, more educated demographics, they are going to lose.

But amongst the less savvy, wealthy and educated elements of society, they can hoover up some votes.

This is just the polls correcting themselves ahead of the vote. We're seeing a general move towards a realistic margin of defeat for Yes. Around the 4-6% mark which most sensible people have been predicting for some time.

The Pickmeister-General hath awoken, and lo, he still talks shite!

Wind yer neck in Anthony.

TICK.

TOCK.

Naw, what I was thinking you were getting at was that You seem to be saying that Scots living outside Scotland should want to vote NO and that they should not want to vote YES.

I also reckon that your saying that anyone from England living in Scotland should be voting NO.

This makes no sense.

I have no problems with who has been given the right to vote and who have not.