Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

I believe the correct internet response to this involves an image of Captain Jean-Luc Picard with his head in his hands.

Perhaps you could have a pic of Cher singing Believe.

Annoying isn't it? 8)

Just for your information, it's never NOT been going well. But the forum itself was getting a bit samey plus I've not been partaking of much football so why bother infesting a football forum? But I'll be off and on here much to your chagrin. And I've been here since the day it opened and come and gone as I pleased, which I'll continue to do at my whim.

Not much to my chagrin at all. Unlike H_B, you do, on occasion make the odd point. Also, unlike H_B, you are, on occasion, amusing.

You're deliciously moreish.

Some interesting points - but I disagreed with this bit:

'A general thought to end with: people on both sides are taking their position for the best of motivations. They are taking their position because they think it’s for the best for the majority of folk. You might disagree with them, but they’re sincere. Maybe if everyone assumed that those on each side was equally well motivated it might make things a bit easier afterwards.'

I'm afraid there's an awful lot of folk that are concerned with other things rather than 'the best for the majority of folk'. The best example is 'what's best for me', there's also quite a few 'which side is most likely to win', and the odd 'this ties in with the view of my football team'. There will be other petty motivations, unfortunately.

There will be other petty motivations, unfortunately.

Indeed. "I hate the English", "End our oppression..." etc.

I'm not sure where this bizarre pretence of martyrdom has come from anyway. The thought that people vote in elections or referendums for reasons other than "What is best for me and my family" is laughable.

It's also laughable to pretend that a Yes vote is in some way either meritorious or likely to benefit the greater good. It is no more so than an No vote.

I'm afraid there's an awful lot of folk that are concerned with other things rather than 'the best for the majority of folk'. The best example is 'what's best for me', there's also quite a few 'which side is most likely to win', and the odd 'this ties in with the view of my football team'. There will be other petty motivations, unfortunately.

This mentality puts me off YES in a big way, YES people are noble and patriotic and only want the best for Scotland and anyone who doesn't agree is looking after no. 1 and is somehow unpatriotic. I would have thought it was counter productive to be honest, if people are getting labelled in a negative way like this I would have thought they wouldn't be too likely to soften their attitude towards YES and it reeks of back slapping and "wha's like us" cliqueyness.

This mentality puts me off YES in a big way, YES people are noble and patriotic and only want the best for Scotland and anyone who doesn't agree is looking after no. 1 and is somehow unpatriotic. I would have thought it was counter productive to be honest, if people are getting labelled in a negative way like this I would have thought they wouldn't be too likely to soften their attitude towards YES and it reeks of back slapping and "wha's like us" cliqueyness.

That's quite a big misrepresentation of my post.

I think there are folk on both sides voting for less than noble reasons.

Personally I think there are more folk voting Yes for the good of the majority. But at no point did I say that all folk voting No are not voting for noble reasons. Plenty are.

That's quite a big misrepresentation of my post.

I think there are folk on both sides voting for less than noble reasons.

Personally I think there are more folk voting Yes for the good of the majority. But at no point did I say that all folk voting No are not voting for noble reasons. Plenty are.

Maybe being a bit picky but you didn't say that, you listed a number of negative reasons why people vote NAW without any caveats saying 'some' or anything like it, it's very easy to interpret it as 'all'.

Maybe being a bit picky but you didn't say that, you listed a number of negative reasons why people vote NAW without any caveats saying 'some' or anything like it, it's very easy to interpret it as 'all'.

Do you agree with the article that 'everyone is voting for the good of the majority'?

I was just listing a few examples to the contrary. The fact that they tended to represent No voters was accidental. Let me add in this shite motivation for voting: 'a deep down hatred of the English'. There are a few of them about (although in my opinion not as many as some commentators would have you believe).

Nobly saving us from having to make our own decisions. The very idea is preposterous.

Isolated from any actual facts about the government and political environment of the United Kingdom, a case could be made for the union. When you actually look at what No voters are voting for, no case at all can be made for altruism except for some future fantasy Labour government sweeping in and suddenly reversing basically every single policy of a decade of right-wing governance. No independence voter has such unrealistic outcomes.

Do you agree with the article that 'everyone is voting for the good of the majority'?

I was just listing a few examples to the contrary. The fact that they tended to represent No voters was accidental. Let me add in this shite motivation for voting: 'a deep down hatred of the English'. There are a few of them about (although in my opinion not as many as some commentators would have you believe).

I don't think there are many who vote for the 'greater good'. People like to assign themselves noble reasons but generally we tend to do what's best for ourselves or suits us at the time. That doesn't mean that I automatically assume that people are base and completely selfish but it does have an influence on us and therefore our actions. Its rarely if ever as simple as good guys and bad guys.

I'd still vote for Independence if it meant I'd immediately get hit in the pocket or I got any immediate bad consequences. This is way greater and bigger than voting for what you think is best for you; this is voting for the benefit of generations to come, and for the greater good of Scotland.

I'd still vote for Independence if it meant I'd immediately get hit in the pocket or I got any immediate bad consequences. This is way greater and bigger than voting for what you think is best for you; this is voting for the benefit of generations to come, and for the greater good of Scotland.

Thats because you're stupid. And because you have nothing to lose in the first place. Essentially, you are a selfish c**t that wants everyone else to pay for everything youve got.

Thats because you're stupid. And because you have nothing to lose in the first place. Essentially, you are a selfish c**t that wants everyone else to pay for everything youve got.

Nah, not really chief. Unlike some, I'd say I always put others needs ahead of mine; not due to any satisfaction, but simply due to what I perceive as being polite and being a fellow human. I know you'd do what you feel is best for your friends and family, even if it was detrimental to your own wellbeing.

And since you know nothing of my personal circumstances; you should leave them out, you angry person.

Indeed. "I hate the English", "End our oppression..." etc.

I'm not sure where this bizarre pretence of martyrdom has come from anyway. The thought that people vote in elections or referendums for reasons other than "What is best for me and my family" is laughable.

It's also laughable to pretend that a Yes vote is in some way either meritorious or likely to benefit the greater good. It is no more so than an No vote.

What a joke mate. The no vote here love UKIP!!! #XenophobesforNO